Sunday, July 16, 2017

Sunday Shawl a re-do and a little self care................





I know the name of this blog is Mereknits, really does that even happen anymore?  I am crochet obsessed right now.  Don't even think of coming near me to pry the hook out of my hand.  Here is my latest finish the Sunday Shawl by Little Bee.  This is a redo of the shawl I made a few weeks ago that frankly while nice ended up feeling like a disaster to me. 

I whipped this baby up in one week.  One week!  And that is with working a record breaking work week for me.  Thus the need to pry the hook out of my hand.  I am tired my friends, really, really tired.  Every moment that I could starting last weekend I made myself sit down and crochet when I had the slightest opportunity.  When Little Buddy was taking another marathon session to eat, take a bath or play his iPad before bed.  After chores on the weekend I sat on my bed and crocheted while watching The Gilmore Girls on Netflix.  I would not allow myself to clean floors, watch my latest course online or even blog.  I made myself sit still and try to relax.  And the way I relax is to play with yarn.

The body of the shawl is made with Ella Rae cozy alpaca in the color Stonewall, 2.5 skeins used.  The color border in order of appearance, Simplicity by HiKoo in Fijian Water 030, Goldfish 04, Schoolhouse Red 017, Deep Turquoise 010, Frambouise 014, and Lavender 023, approximately 50 yards used of each.  So maybe 750 yards of yarn used to make this ginormous shawl.  Oops, I almost forgot I used a size I hook.

This shawl is big and drapey.  It will be warm and colorful to wear but not too colorful, just enough color to make it fun.  I have visions of myself looking all stylish as I run through an airport to catch a flight to excotic places while this shawl is slung over my shoulders.  Of course I can drape it across my body as the plane gets chilly and I can catch a nap.  Oh and then I can wrap it around my neck while drinking wine with friends in a cozy local restaurant in this exotic location.  In reality it will sit in my closet and more than likely be forgotten for a while as there is no exotic trip in my future.  Still making is half the fun for me.  Making and creating is my therapy and I can always dream a bit about exotic locals while I crochet away.

I have half of those colorful balls remaining to be made into something fun.  Wouldn't a baby blanket be beautiful with this border?  A simple, solid rectangle with a colorful border?  Lucky for me my next door neighbor is expecting her first grandchild in December.  We find out if this new little one will be a boy or girl this week.  I will order a soft gray or cream color and get started on it as soon as the yarn is delivered.  As for now, I mean right this second, I do not have a project going, well one I want to work on anyway.  Just as well I guess because I have to finish chores around the house and run some errands today.  I am finishing the last episode of Gilmore Girls this afternoon, ah I feel like I am losing my best friends.  I still have the new remake of a year in the life to go but still it isn't the same is it?

This week I have two little ones on vacation so I do not need to be leaving my house at 5:30 in the morning on Tuesday and Thursday.  The following week I have another one on vacation along with these two, my work will slow down a bit so at least I can catch my breath.  But for now I am going to go finish that pressure washing, and then run to a few stores to stock up on all I have let lapse this past week.  I hope to catch up with you all soon. The shawl was worth it don't you think?  Have a great Sunday.

30 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I'm glad you decided to crochet rather than do other mundane things. The shawl is gorgeous. I started a cocoon shrug months ago and then set it aside unfinished. Now I can't even remember which pattern I was using. :/ I also started a half granny triangle shawl at about the same time. It is languishing in the same basket as the shrug and again, can't remember the pattern I was following. From now on, I write things down. :) Have a good Sunday!

Christina said...

I'll join you in whatever exotic place you end up, for that glass of wine and a chat. I am strongly obsessed with sewing but am traditionally a knitter. I think obsessions come and go and I am sure both of us will be knitting again some day. Crochet is a lot faster than knitting I find and it is very gratifying to finish something beautiful in a short time, particularly when time is precious. Have a lovely week. x

Mac n' Janet said...

I'm amazed you did it in a week. I'm a lazy crocheter and do it in fits and starts. Yours is so pretty, love the drape of it. Hope things slow down a bit for you.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

The shawl is amazing. I would just wear it at home and feel special! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

The shawl is beautiful the time of relaxation to make it ... precious!

I'm knitting with some Ella Rae right now. WOW! I love that yarn. Mine is lace weight and it just slips through the stitches like silk (even though there is no silk).

Betsy said...

It is a beautiful shawl Meredith and I do believe those colors will work well for a baby blanket. I think it is very wise of you that during these stressful weeks, you recognize the need for relaxation and recharging. The chores and errands will always be there. You need to take care of YOU first or there will be nothing left for others. I'm glad you get a bit of a break over the next few weeks. Enjoy every bit of it my friend.
Blessings,
Betsy

Nance said...

Lovely! And I really can imagine a perfectly square little blanket with exactly this colorway.

My knitting is suffering lately. I'm trying desperately to catch up on all the house stuff that was let go while I was so ill. Maybe I need to set aside specific time--Knitting Appointments?

Araignee said...

Another beauty!!!!
The Gilmore Girls is my therapy too. I watched it all and then turned around and watched it all again. Sadly, I've just got a few more episodes left in my second time around. Even though I want to wring Lorelei's neck most of the time I can't get enough of my Stars Hollow fix.

Caffeine Girl said...

Hold up! You are keeping something for yourself! I hope you mean it. You are so generous with your crafting -- and everything else -- that you need to treat yourself sometimes! It is a beautiful shawl. Colorful, but not too much.

Such long work days you have. I work like crazy during the school year, but I don't leave the house at 5:30! I hope you take all the vacation time you have coming.

The Well Fed Wheel said...

OMG....I have those same visions of myself in planes, airports, excotic places and sipping wine with friends while I make things too! LOL! Great minds think alike I guess. :-) Love the shawl.

Jo said...

It's a beautiful shawl and I love the colours you've used, as you say, not too colourful, just enough to give it a little lift but remain classy. Perfect then for that exotic location that I'm dreaming about too, if only.

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

I'm glad you're having some self care, it's so important, how can you look after others if you aren't well yourself. What a wonderful way to relax and creating so much beauty at the same time xx

Karen said...

I love the shawl, Meredith. I can't remember if I told you that I am making one, too, after seeing your last one and admiring how pretty it is. I'm not thrilled with my yarn weight, but as you say, making it is half the fun and I do like the colors. I'm already thinking about the next one. I don't do a lot of crocheting or knitting, but once in a while the spirit moves me, and I just have to do something.

I'm glad you will have some time to slow down a bit in the next weeks. Enjoy!

bittenbyknittin said...

What a lovely shawl! Our local "art" movie theater is *freezing* in summer, so I have been lugging a knit blanket with me. An airy colorful shawl sounds like a good alternative.

Between Me and You said...

Oh, Meredith, I think you could teach us all a lesson about 'chillaxing'! Good for you to find an alternative to scrubbing floors and all those other perplexing chores which are required to keep house!!Your shawl is much too beautiful to be left lying around. I'm sure you will put it to good use, exotic locations or not. I absolutely adored the Gilmore Girls and was so sad to say goodbye to them. The Year in a Life just finishes things off nicely if you don't set too much store by it! Rory is playing a Handmaid in 'The Handmaid's Tale' at the moment and she was also in 'Mad Men'. It was odd seeing her as a grown up! Hope you have a good week, Meredith and thanks for calling in to mine. It's always so fabulous to hear from you.xxx

Teresa Kasner said...

Meredith, that turned out fantastic! And I loved all your exciting daydreams of exciting foreign trips and all. I do hope you wear it and you'll look like that adventurous and fashionable lady no matter where you go. I do hope you enjoy your less stressful weeks ahead. I'm glad you get some break time. I hope your weekend brings you peace and joy. I just put a new tablecloth on the table which is my excitement of the day. LOL! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

CJ said...

I LOVE it. Really gorgeous and warm-looking. It will be perfect for wandering around a Cotswold village or sitting outside a Gloucestershire pub on a summer evening. CJ xx

Needles and Wool said...

Your shawl looks amazing, I love that it is mostly gray with the colorful detail at the bottom. I hope you do get to go on those trips with the shawl draped over your shoulders that sounds fun! I loved Gilmore Girls when it was airing and then watched the new remake and it was different but still enjoyable and Lorelai and Rory are the same. That is good you don't have to leave so early! more time for you time and to relax.

Anonymous said...

I love it, great colorcombination! Looks like a very comfortable shawl to me.
How nice that you've got already plans for a next project, a babyblanket with a colorful border will be so much fun to make :-)
Have a nice day, Sigrid

Gracie Saylor said...

It is good that your schedule will ease up a bit in the next few weeks, Mere, and I hope you are able to continue to allow yourself to rest and recharge through creative pursuits, like making this lovely shawl. May you be blessed in the days ahead! xx

Amy at love made my home said...

Beautiful shawl and I am glad that you are working on it rather than doing housework, you need to take time for yourself and take care of yourself that is sure. Keep crocheting and leave the dust bunnies to themselves!

Delighted Hands said...

The new shawl is gorgeous-wear it and imagine a tropical vacation mode!

Babajeza said...

I've been looking for something to handcraft during my summer break. This shawl is perfect! I'm getting the hook ready. :-) Have a lovely time!

kathy b said...

Ella Rae cozy alpaca.....wow it looks like cotton from the image. i bet it is so soft. I'll have to check out that yarn Mere.
This shawl is so so lovely. I really like the gray body with colored trim. I hope you find a way to wear it right away. I see it keeping you cozy while dozing off with Lil BUddy next to you and the a/c on full blast!
Here's to your upcoming, a bit more relaxed schedule.
You are a crochet warrior!!!

Vera said...

What a gorgeous shawl. It will look perfect with jeans...or anything! I love the grey balancing the pops of color in the border. And, you are right, edging a rectangle in those colors will make a beautiful baby blanket!

mamasmercantile said...

It is a beautiful make and that hint of colour is perfect for an exotic trip somewhere, if only your dreams. I have our daughter and 2 Grandsons visiting tomorrow so I am busy getting the cottage ready for them and baking all their favourites.

Unknown said...

Love the shawl!! And def keep up the self care!! You deserve it!!!

Lisa said...

The shawl is gorgeous, those colors are beautiful. I think it was time very well spent. Self care is a good thing for everyone.

Jo said...

It is so much fun with that colourful border. You are amazing tp do thay on a week. Take it easy Meredith. Jo xx

handmade by amalia said...

Lovely! I'm also doing more crochet than knitting these days but the tide may change at any moment :-)
Amalia
xo