Saturday, April 4, 2009

Tulum, Mexico



We are back from our wonderful vacation. Nothing like sun, beach and fighting brothers to make you feel like you are on vacation. Tulum, Mexico is beautiful. The water is a beautiful turquoise blue. The wind was a bit relentless, but that made for fantastic waves that the boys played in. We took our oldest sons friend along for the trip. I think all of us had a great time. They had so much fun as the waves were big everyday we were there.


We went snorkeling in caves, while that sounds scary it was beautiful. The people who live in the area get their water from this underground river system which runs for miles and miles. The stalactites and stalagmites were amazing. Being right there was just unbelievable. I am all for snorkeling but there is cave diving also. That is totally not for me and I warned my children they can't do that in my lifetime.


We spent one day at a park where you could swim with dolphins, manatees and sea lions. It was like we were in a show at Sea World. We were able to kiss and hug the dolphins. We got to ride while holding onto their flippers and they actually pushed us up out of the water with their snouts pushing our feet. We flew out of the water just like atrainer at Sea World. The dolphins were so beautiful I can't even explain it. Just having to opportunity to touch these beautiful animals and to be that close was an amazing experience.



At the park we were able to touch the manatees and snorkel with them a bit. They also gave us a kiss on the mouth. I loved it but the 15 year olds with me had to adjust a bit to kissing a manatee. I think they would much rather be kissing some hot babes! The sea lions were a lot of fun, they are fast and seem like they like to be involved in these shows.



We went to the Mayan ruins in the area. We learned a bit about the Mayan culture. This was part of the Palace where the royal family lived. The whole park had sacred places and areas where homes used to stand. Out side the walls were where the farmers lived. The Mayans used the area near Tulum as more of a port city. Trading occurred here from all over the area. The kids thought this was all a bit boring but I wanted them to see this as they will remember it in the future. The Mayans were very advanced. They lived all over southern Mexico with their pyramids rising high up in the jungle. They moved down into Guatemala when the Spanish came.


We also went zip lining and repelling off the side of a very large wooden platform that was very high up. The zip lining was pretty fun. I am not all that fond of heights, but living with a 15 year is a lot more terrifying. He would never let me live it down if I didn't do something. I am more scared of the harassment I would receive from him, then I am of the line breaking and tossing me into the depths of the jungle. We did three different zip lines of increasing heights. The boys loved it. Of course I think they loved seeing my fear a bit also. I actually had to go first so they could hear me scream. You would be proud of me no scream left my lips, even though I was screaming in my head.


The Mexican people were lovely and gracious. We were treated wonderfully. I know there are warnings out about travel but we didn't have any problems at all. As we were told the trouble is between different drug gangs or families. Not that unlike what we have here in big cities between gangs. If you aren't involved than you really don't have a lot to fear.


I read two great books by Anna McPartlin an Irish author, Apart Form the Crowd and Pack Up the Moon. They were lovely beach reading. I hate the television when I am on vacation. reading is such a pleasure I don't usually have a great deal of time to do.


I have to admit that really no knitting was accomplished. I did manage a few rows on the drive back to the airport but that is it. It was too windy and sandy for knitting on the beach. I think now that I am home I will be trying to catch back up. Of course that is after I done the huge mountain of laundry that is waiting for me.


Hope you had a good week.

1 comment:

Claudia said...

Sounds like heaven, Mer! I'm so glad you all had a wonderful time. Those Mayan ruins are beautiful. I'm glad you are all back safe and sound. Its rainy here in NY, but I'm home and that's all that matters - just need some dry days to fix up the garden!