Friday, January 14, 2011

Gracie

My Mother-in-law Gracie is back in Florida for a visit. She is with us again for a couple of weeks from very cold Wisconsin. Gracie is now 92 years young. She is an amazing woman, and I have been fortunate to be part of her family for almost 19 years.

She is an amazing Mother, Mother-in-law, Grandmother and Great Grandmother. She still volunteers, and is a very active member of her church. She actually doesn't like to be here too long as it cuts into her very active schedule.

I taught Gracie to knit when she was about 85. She likes things simple, garter stitch is just fine with her. I cast on, she knits until she is done, I cast off. Simple.


She has made three scarves since her arrival and will be starting number four today. I am falling way behind her in my ability to complete a project. This is what I want to do when I am 92, knit or crochet. Actually there is a lot I want to do like Gracie, she is amazing.

5 comments:

Teresa Kasner said...

Meredith, how utterly charming your post is today.. and Gracie is an inspiration to us all. I hope to keep my community involvement and my handwork going as long as she has. :-)

Hugs, Teresa

Anonymous said...

I get chills everytime I read one of your Gracie posts. She does sound like an amazing woman. And I trust she raised at least one amazing son ;-)
As Teresa said, she is an inspiration. Enjoy your visit.
hugs, Beth
p.s. - the granny square worked out - thanks!!

mynestofyarnandbuttons said...

Oh my goodness, she is an amazing lady. I want to be like that tooo, when and if I am lucky enough to be that age. I think we can learn so much from the wise young(92) people! You are blessed to still have Gracie and for her to be so active and sprye. Loved your post. Have a great weekend, xoRobin❤

Anonymous said...

I know just how fortunate you feel to have such a wonderful older woman in your life Meredith. I've been fortunate to have had several women in mine, who have lived well into their 90's and stayed active. They are role models in so many ways, and I've learned so much from them.

Isn't it neat, that you could teach her to knit, and that she was willing to learn something new at an age when many folks stop trying new things? I really think that attitude is the key to a happy life.

Mindy said...

Wow--These are such wonderful pictures to have! I feel like I need to take some pictures of my mom sewing soon...