Thursday, January 27, 2011

Hexagon Happiness


I am obsessed with hexagons. I have been making them for two weeks during any available TV time. I have watched many football games, a few basketball games and a TV show here and there, all while crocheting hexagons. I have been fascinated with all the different shapes that are created with crochet. I am amazed how easy it is to create these shapes, with just a few stitches and chains. I stumbled across Sarah at http://tangledhappy.blogspot.com, she had these beautiful hexagon bags displayed on her blog. Sarah cruises blogs to find the most interesting projects and sends you a link to the creaters blog. So while looking at this blog, I decided to make a hexagon bag. I looked up how to make a hexagon on Lucy at Attic24, and I was off.



The centers are made from remnants of Noro yarn I made a vest from years ago. I thought the way each center varied slightly would make the bag interesting. I then crocheted a solid border of purple, blue or grey. The final round was of this lovely red Cascade 220, such a great reliable, and affordable yarn. I crocheted 28 hexagons and then crocheted them all together.



It was really fun to put it together, like a giant hexagon puzzle. I added straps from Joann's and here is the finished bag.



Sorry my shoe is in the picture. I think it turned out pretty good for my first attempt at a crochet bag. I tried to line it but decided it wouldn't work the way I wanted it to. This bag will be for light projects, nothing too heavy.
So if you know anything about me at all you know I become a bit obsessed with a project and I will make a zillion of them until I run out of steam. So yes, I will be making number two as soon as I make it to the yarn store tomorrow. I think the next one will have a Noro center also, but this one I intend on felting. I think the colors will blend beautifully with felting, and felting adds something wonderful......stability. Ah yes, stability in a bag is important if you ever want to carry anything of weight, like a knitting book, Kindle, Nook, ipad, you know what I am saying here. I am very excited about this new project.
Making these hexagons was very fun and felt like I was accomplishing something pretty fast. One hexagon crochets up easily so you have a sense of accomplishment right away. I think a fun hexagon scarf would be great, an afghan would be beautiful and a different shape then your regular granny square blanket.
So that is finished project number 9. I won't be keeping up at this pace for long. I had a slight lull in my caseload these past few weeks, I am up to full speed this next week, so knitting, weaving and crochet time will be a bit less. But I am still very happy that 9 projects, well actually 10 are complete in one month. I will show you 10 in another post.
Hope you are having a great day.





10 comments:

Teresa Kasner said...

Great job on those! I especially am drawn to the red border.. yummy and wow the bag done already. Too cool.

Hugs, Teresa

Rose Red said...

I love this! The red border looks great, especially once they are all joined, and I really like the Noro centres. Really nice job!

sara said...

Gorgeous!

Claudia said...

Whoo hoo! Adorable.

xo
Claudia

Kathleen said...

I really love the red border. It makes all the other colors pop. I love the bag too.

Kelly said...

Love the bag, it is so bright and cheery! Thanks for visiting me on my blog and so sweet to leave a comment. We have heard how hot the summers are in FL but I would much rather have that than the 6 months of cold and snow we get up here. ♥

Sara said...

I love your hexi bag! Red is one of my favorite colors. Thanks for sharing Tangled Happy here at Mereknits. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the bag! It has both a vintage and modern feel to it. I think a felted one would be very cool.
You are on a roll with your finished projects - and are providing me with inspiration to focus on some projects.
I'll have to check out tangledhappy. Sounds like an interesting blog.
Have a wonderful weekend!
xo Beth

WildflowerWool said...

Great bag. Can't wait to see what the next one looks like.

Unknown said...

WOW... look at those hex's great job. love the red. and so happy to have meandered over from Mockingbird Cottage. New follower.