Thursday, August 11, 2011

Knitting Stinks.....Sometimes

First let me thank each and everyone of you for your kind thoughts.  My Mother was discharged from the hospital yesterday but is very, very weak.  She is having a terrible time walking, and my Dad who is 88 is her primary caregiver.  I think she should be in rehab but he thinks differently, this is not looking good for anyone involved.  I am expecting a phone call at anytime that she has fallen, I just hope there is someone around to help me get her up.  I can't lift her myself and my Dad can't help... so the cycle continues.

My knitting has not been all that therapeutic lately, actually it has been downright frustrating.  First, I spent all that time making the knitted dress, that I have yet to wear because I still don't like it. Next, I had the great idea to make this amazing vest from the latest Interweave Knits magazine. 
This is a very interesting concept, make a nice big circle, knit a rectangle to attach is the middle of the circle for the back, leave the sides open for arm holes and you have a vest, right?  Well that is what is supposed to happen.  I didn't use the tape like yarn suggested, no I went into my stash and found beautiful alpaca, I knit a gauge swatch and casted on.  I loved knitting it and learning this really cool fan pattern.  Sounds like it should be perfect doesn't it?  Well it's not.
 This is a picture of Julie who so kindly shared her beautiful yarn with me.  I bought this yarn at the New York Sheep and Wool Festival years ago.  It is from Ideuma Creek Alpaca Farm.  Each skein comes with a cute picture of the alpaca who is sharing her yarn.  Julie is a total cutie don't you think?
 When I finished the circle I casted on the back, easy cast on 60 stitches, knit for 13 inches and you are done.  So I did it but added an extra inch because I am pretty tall.  I single crocheted them together and put it on....well you can only imagine how horrible it was because my circle is way and I mean way bigger than it is supposed to be.  Okay, don't panic just take apart the bind off edge, pick up the stitches and knit some more.  So I did, then I made it way and I mean way too long.  So I took it out again and finally after wrestling with fibers sticking together, knots and a vest that I know deep down inside is not going to work, I gave up. 
 Now I have this......a big circle that I have no idea what to do with.  It is too stretchy, and too mushy, and well just too everything to fix.  I am putting it in time out, just like the dress and it is going to sit there until I can figure out what to do with it.
I guess I am happy that I didn't spend a fortune on yarn, I learned how to do this cool fan and I loved the yarn in my hands.  Look, I am trying to find the bright side of this disaster.

Hope your projects are going better than mine!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hang in there. I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, as I know just how difficult this can be. I'm the only daughter, so guess who gets the job. I swear my brothers ran for the hills.

Grateful4Crochet said...

Oh no!! I think you made the right call putting it in time out- at a time like this you don't want to be frustrated, you want something mindless and bright and cheery to distract you. Good luck with the finding of that. I am sending good wishes for your Mum, and yourself and all your family in this time.
Look after yourself, and take care

Rose Red said...

I think time out is a great approach - I do that too sometimes. I hope it all makes sense when you pick it up again.

And hope your mum, and your dad, are doing ok.

Leah said...

Oh honey you are having a bad time of it! Your knitting looks amazing and so difficult - but I sympathise completely that it's not the right size. Grrrrrrrrr is about the only word for it (well the only polite one anyway). I hope your mum is doing ok and that you're able to get some help soon. Take care - and have a lovely weekend.

Teresa said...

Dear Meredith, time out, definitely. You'll figure it out soon enough. At least the feel of the nice yarn comforted you while you were making it, right?
As to your mother, I wish I could help in some way. It's so hard to feel helpless specially with the ones we love most! I do hope all calms down and your parents stay well.
Lots of love and a big hug all the way from Portugal (and I sent some back for you with my brother and family, they went back to Florida 10 days ago...)

mynestofyarnandbuttons said...

Oh Meredith, what a time you have had. Yes, I think timeout is in order. You need to make something that is fast and satisfying, Maybe a baby sweater for the future or a gift. They are so much fun and fast due to size. Hope you get a break this weekend and your mom will be safe. Take care, thinking of you and your mom, xoRobin❤

Sara said...

I have had a few projects that ended up in time out. One of which is still there. Lol... Hopefully this will be one you take out later and ends up perfect!

Susanne said...

Oh this sounds so familiar to me, finding a lovely pattern, beautiful yarn, and grand anticipation of something spectacular....and boom! What was I thinking, lol, this knitted mess is so bad I either need to throw it in a drawer or rip the whole thing apart. From what I see, you are a very proficient knitter and your stitches are lovely. I am sure if you give it some time you will figure out what to do to make it right. Sometimes we just need to step away. As for your elderly parents, God bless them. Those Golden Years just aren't all they are cracked up to be. I agree with you. I was a Rehab nurse for 12 years and it does help with strengthening and endurance.