Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Home Again

 We are home again after or speedy trip to Wisconsin.  Little Buddy was like a Rock Star, everyone wanted to meet him and give him a squeeze.  He did great especially considering how little sleep he got. He clapped and yelled, "Hooray!" during the memorial service for my MIL after every hymn or song, it was lovely.  When my SIL was speaking he said loudly, "Aunt Barb!"  It was so cute and my MIL would have loved his spontaneous, lovely, outbursts.  Little Buddy did very well on the plane, in the hotel and with all the new faces.  I was so proud of him.  But do you think I have even one photo to show you?  No, I do not.  It was too fast, and I was too busy watching Little Buddy and trying to make sure everyone was okay.  It was a sad but happy event if you know what I mean.  My MIL Gracie touched so many lives.  There were over 200 people at her service, with many who could not make it.  She was 95 1/2 and lived everyday of her life fully and with purpose.

 We got home Sunday late in the afternoon and yesterday was all about work, today all about therapy for my Little guy.  Tomorrow I am taking the day off and spending it getting caught up on life here at home.  I have to take my teenager to an AP US History exam in the morning, so that canceled three of my patients.  The next three were canceled by one of my Medical Foster Mom's, so that left three to go, I decided I needed a break so I canceled those and now I am free for the day, well sort of!

 Today Little Buddy and I stopped by the market on the way home from physical therapy, look what I found.


Hydrangea's what could be more beautiful?  I could not pass them up.  We can't grow them here in Florida, so this is a special treat.

 Everyone is showing garden photos so I took a quick snap of part of mine, I am loving the bursts of color, just don't look at the weeds.
 

I am getting next to nothing done on my knitting and crochet projects.  I took one with me on the trip and frankly did not have a second to look at it.  When I got home I started another project.  I am loving my Berroco Nijo sweater in that beautiful raspberry yarn, but it takes some thought and I just don't always have a thought to spare when it comes to the evening, and I can sit and knit. I needed a project that is super easy, one where my fingers just go and I do not have to pay attention.   So I started the beautiful kiribati sweater from Berroco.  It is a free pattern on Ravelry.  I love it and of course am not making it in the intended yarn.  I am making it from a wool/cashmere blend from Jo Sharp, yarn from my stash I bought 75% off when my LYS went out of business.  It is actually gray, not green, you know how some colors just don't photograph well.  Now I have two Berroco projects on the go. 


We decided that Mr. 20 now deserves his car up at school.  Not that he is wowing us academically, but he is going to be a Junior and needs to get around a bit more to the market and such.  Last winter was so brutal, I have a hard time thinking of him walking with wet hair from the pool in those cold temps again.  So my husband is driving it up to Ohio this weekend.  I am packing some things he might like, a crock pot and some ingredients to make a few simple meals.  Tomorrow I will travel to the health food store to buy him fruit juice sweetened cookies, peanut butter and some grain sweetened chocolate chips.  He deserves a bit of spoiling don't you think?


I love this plant on my back deck.  It is ginormous!   It is growing out the back of the screen and winding up the metal wire that hold the screen taunt.  Soon I will have lovely pink flowers winding up my screen.


Hope you are having a wonderful week.

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad that your trip went well. Sounds like Little Buddy is very adaptable to new situations. Always a good thing in a child OR an adult. LOL

Jennifer Hays said...

I'm glad the trip went well, and that Little Buddy did well with the situation. He sounds like a wonderful little boy. The memorial must have been a lovely celebration of Gracie's life and I'm sure you made her very proud. Safe travels to your husband this weekend.

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

I'm sure Little Buddy made many a person smile at the Memorial. Well done of you for passing that hurdle.
It's always easy to wish you'd taken more photos, but sometimes it's not possible, and maybe even better to view moments direct and experience being part of the scene rather than observing thought a lens. That's what I think anyway xxx

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

I'm sure Little Buddy made many a person smile at the Memorial. Well done of you for passing that hurdle.
It's always easy to wish you'd taken more photos, but sometimes it's not possible, and maybe even better to view moments direct and experience being part of the scene rather than observing thought a lens. That's what I think anyway xxx

RedSetter said...

Been waiting for this post and so glad all went well. Little Buddy is a trooper, isn't he? Glad you got a little break and have caught up a bit in between spoiling your big and little boys. Just one question, what the deal with hydrangeas not growing?

RedSetter said...

Been waiting for this post and so glad all went well. Little Buddy is a trooper, isn't he? Glad you got a little break and have caught up a bit in between spoiling your big and little boys. Just one question, what the deal with hydrangeas not growing?

Karen said...

I love what you said about Gracie, how she lived everyday of her life "fully and with purpose." It's what I want to strive to do, not waste a minute.

BTW, you've inspired me to update my blog:-)

Joyful said...

You certainly have been busy! I hope you will have a bit of a breather. Your MIL funeral sounds lovely if you know what I mean. I'm sure she would have enjoyed what Buddy added to the service :-)

yarn and pencil said...

Hello lovely Meredith, I hope your 'free' day gives you the rest you need and deserve.
Tracey xxx

mamasmercantile said...

So pleased to hear your trip went well. You certainly have been busy, have a nice day off and catch up with yourself. Packing the foodstuffs for your son bought back some happy memories of doing that for my 3 daughters when they were away at university.

CJ said...

I'm glad the trip went well for you and Little Buddy, I hope you have a satisfying day off, catching up with everything and spending time together. I know what you mean about needing easy knitting in the evening, I'm always tired by the time I sit down to knit. You're right, your biggest boy does need spoiling, it what mums do. CJ xx

cockney blonde said...

Glad you had a good trip and Little Buddy enjoyed himself. Thanks for sharing your news and photos, especially love the pink flower, x

Caffeine Girl said...

Flowers? What are those? The tips of my hostas are just peeking out. It feels like we'll never have flowers!

I always have at least one easy project going (or 10). I am often brain dead at the end of the day!

200 people? She must have been a wonderful woman.

Betsy said...

Hi Meredith,
Love your blog today. It's all about life and that's good! I haven't been around much this week and I don't see that changing for awhile. It I know you all understand and will be waiting when I have more time.
The Crock Pot is a great idea for your son. Easy meals waiting for him after school.
Blessings,
Betsy

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

I'm glad to hear your trip went well. You have all been through so much lately.

I agree, you must spoil Mr. 20. I still like to spoil my 22-year-old son. Although he probably doesn't think I spoil him at all -- he just expects all his favorite foods when he comes home!

mynestofyarnandbuttons said...

Happy you are back safe and sound busy Mommy!!! I'm happy you could take a day off, you need to do that from time to time. Your yard is looking so floral and green. Love the hydrangea, they do really well in New England you would love them. Love your new knitting, I need to start that other cardi you made.....I'm so slow! I don't know how you get it all done, you are super mom, friend and wife and forever daughter!!!! Safe travels for your husband. Hugs to Little buddy, Max and of course You, xoRobin

kristieinbc said...

I'm glad to hear you made it safely home. I'm sure Little Buddy made what was a difficult time a little bit easier for everyone. The crockpot is a brilliant idea for your son! And you were smart to take all of yesterday off from work. I hope you are feeling somewhat refreshed today. :-)

Amy at love made my home said...

I am so glad that it all went well for you and that Buddy had a good trip, it sounds as though he added a real note of joy for everyone, and that is how it should be and I am sure just how Gracie would have wanted it too. I hope that Mr 20 likes having his car, that is a long trip to take to deliver it, but a great idea to include the food goodies and crock pot - they are so useful aren't they! Glad that you had a day off as I am sure that it was much needed and very well deserved. xx

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you realise what a lovely family you sound. From Buddy up the generational ladder. And you holding it steady. I am glad the Memorial service went so well for you all.

Anonymous said...

Glad the trip went good and for your swimmer sun too. The crock pot and food is a great idea. :) Love the flowers!

Anonymous said...

Son not sun! Silly typo's! :P

Unknown said...

I am so glad that your trip went well. I bet the little guy was a hit. It sounds like he doesn't mind being around new people at all. I bet your oldest son will be happy to get his car!!! It will be so nice for him to get back home after school to the smells of supper. Nice hot meal!

Jo said...

Always great to catch up... What weeds!? Jo x

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Oh I knew LB would be just fine, he rocks just like his Mom! :)

The flowers are lovely....

Oh I like your new project start, too.

So glad you are taking some time to relax...keeping you in my thoughts and prayers sweet friend. ((Hugs))

linda said...

I'm glad you all got back safe and sound and the trip went well for you Meredith, sounds like little buddy put a big smile on everyone's faces. I had a look at the jumper on Revelry and it's lovely, that's just what you need to wind down in the evenings a nice easy project. How lovely for your son to be getting a car and yes of course he deserves to be spoilt we all do it that's what mums are for, he is sure to appreciate all the lovely goodies you are sending his way. xxx

elns said...

I'm glad it was a good trip. Little Buddy is definitely a rock star. But it seems all the boys get to benefit from a wonderful mother's love. You're a rock star too Mere, just one rockin' knitwear instead of leather ;)

WildflowerWool said...

Love the flowers, things are just starting to flower here.

Joy said...

It sounds to me like Little Buddy's input would have lightened the emotions during the service - how wonderful he is, pure blessing!
Your garden flowers are sweet, and the pink creeper taking over the back screen will be so gorgeous when it gets going, Meredith. Your hydrangea was such a lovely find!
Your son will really know the benefits of having his car with him, and what useful and enjoyable surprises you have packed into it for him; you are such a good Mum!
Warm hugs,
Joy xo

Mrs. Micawber said...

WHAT weeds?!? :)

So glad that LB travelled well and provided extra warmth and laughter to your MIL's service. What a sweetie he must be.

Yes, Mr. 20 year old deserves a little spoiling (and healthy food too).

Enjoy your day off and your knitting!

kathy b said...

Little Buddy clapping at the funeral is PRICELESS. I can't imagine you have any time to knit…I'm so impressed! I love your flowers and yes, our sons need to be spoiled by us. Even college sons~!

RURAL said...

Your Son sounds like such a delight...and what great memories to bring home with you.

You are such a good Mom Meredith, your boys are very fortunate.

Jen

Lap Dog Knits said...

your garden is beautiful…..I'd love to sit in the morning and listen to how happy the birds must be…I wish I could remember how to crochet…did hers ago and now I want to make squares for a blanket…seems Youtube would be the answer so this weekend away at the lake will be the perfect time…I do wish so much I could go to Door County again…so far from California!!!

Pradeepa said...

Pleased to hear that Buddy did great during the trip! Beautiful flowers!

Cari said...

I'm so happy to hear that your Buddy did so well on the trip. I'm sure it meant a lot to your sweet family to meet him. And I'm sure Gracie was just as proud looking on. Hugs dear friend and enjoy your time.

My Garden Diaries said...

I'm glad the trip went well...and it sounds like Little Buddy had a wonderful time...he is such a cutie! Your garden photos put a smile on my face! Such happy bursts of color! I have been pulling everything into the garage as we are getting very cold weather the next couple of days....longing for your sun!!! Wishing you and your crew a great weekend! Nicole xo

Gracie Saylor said...

Meredith! I have missed you and am trying to catch up with your latest. I'm so glad you had a good celebration of Gracie's life highlighted by your youngest's delightful contributions. Precious memories. Hoping you are able to rest in the midst of the flurry of your busy days. You are often in my thoughts with love. xx

Toni said...

Glad little Buddy could bring joy to even a sad occasion. I'll bet your MIL would have just been delighted. :)

Tammy said...

Glad to hear the trip went well and that Little Buddy handled it all like a trooper. I imagine it was all a blur. I think your college boy definitely deserves some goodies. Yusef has moved into summer housing which means that he now has to cook all his own meals. No more cafeteria food. Will be the same for next year. I need to work with him this summer on driving. Will only be there a month but he needs lots of practice. I still want him to take driver's ed even though he doesn't have to. I want him to learn the proper way to drive and the rules of the road. Not just get into a car and go. He definitely needs wheels to get around but gotta get that license first. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Tammy

Judy S. said...

We just got back from WI/MN also. So nice you could get back for the service! And I'm sure that Buddy helped lighten everyones' hearts.

Rose Red said...

So glad Little Buddy had a good trip and (of course) delighted everyone!
Hydrangea! Another flower in my garden! Why can't you grow them in Florida, is it too hot/humid?