Sunday, September 21, 2014

Next time I talk about boring you need to kick me in the behind...........

The Universe acts in a funny way.  You talk about your boring little life and BAM you get some excitement shoved right in your face, not excitement you want by the way. This is a long post so I am giving you a little warning.

So my Teenage and I start our 24 hour journey into the college world.  We start up with a lovely small school 2 1/2 hours south of us, Florida Gulf Coast University.  For those of you in the US, you might remember this tiny school making it to the Sweet 16 college basketball tournament 2 years ago, their Cinderella story captured the Nation.  We make it there, drive around a bit and connect with my good friend's son, he takes us around, we go to dinner and leave.  It is raining, it has been raining since we left.  As we head back on the road across Alligator Alley, (this is the stretch of road across the bottom of Florida, it is uninhabited and not the easiest road to drive on even on a sunny day let alone at night in the rain) I am getting tired from the drive and the rain.  But we make it all the way over to Boca Raton, our next stop.  Check into the dingy hotel and grab some sleep.

Day two we leave early, drive around Florida Atlantic University, a slightly bigger school, but new and nice.  We search out dorms, look at the campus and head out.  We have two neighbors at the school but decide it is much to early to contact them.  

We drive northwest across the state to the newest state school Florida Polytechnic Institute.  It really is just one big building and a dorm right now.  It has its first student class at the school this year.  There is no one around.  We drive around a very empty and barren area, an area that one day will house many buildings, dorms and classrooms.  We exit out of the school on a brand new road that is parallel to the expressway we want to be on.  I decide to take this road in hopes of avoiding the confusing toll roads that are right off the expressway we left to reach the school.  This new road must lead us somewhere.  I forgot it is still raining, and we are frankly out in the middle of nowhere.  I decide I really need to turn around and head back to the main entrance when we hear a horrible sound and feel a bump and my tire rapidly loses air.  You bet I have a flat tire and I have really no idea where we are.  





  We call roadside assistance, it takes them an hour to find us because we are out in the middle of nowhere on new roads that very few people travel on. Seriously what you see in these pictures is where we were.  I could hear the expressway, and see the school in front of me but we were stuck.


Bless this man, William my Savior!   He was persistent in finding us, I finally realized I could Google Map myself and that is what helped.  Yea for technology, boo that I did not think about that much earlier in our adventure.  I told you I am a tech loser.

Oh I forgot, I had drank a huge iced tea for the caffeine, something I do not do except for being on the road.  Oh yes I had to go to the bathroom, but would not go as my 17 year old was with me and there was no covered area.  In Florida you do not venture toward the trees and marsh area, there are lots of poisonous things you do not want to meet, and alligators! 

So it was mind over matter on the bladder issue and then when William, (yes I hugged him and gave him a huge tip) installed and inflated that spare tire we were ready to head off.  We got back on the road staying at a slow and steady 63 miles per hour on a road that the speed limit is 70 and people drive 80.  I have to admit that I am not a slow driver, actually I have to really try not to speed, I am not sure what it is about my personality, but I like to be out front, I do not like cars in front of me.  It is not about being fast, or the fastest, I just like a clear view.  So this speed of 63 drove me crazy.  I know I just made a funny there.  As we got moving we rapidly realized my air conditioning was not working.  Really?????

We had to drive with the windows down, at 63 mph on an 85 degree day (which is cool for us).  Thank goodness during our wait for William the Repairman it had stopped raining.

We made it home hot and tired and actually passed two cars on the road, those poor people were going even slower than us.  My bladder is fine now by the way.  My car is going to get four new tires on Monday, which means I cannot go to work and Lord knows what the air conditioning is going to cost me.  Now this trip is costing me well, and I mean well over a thousand dollars more than I had anticipated.  Little Buddy will be home with me on Monday because I will not be able to get him to or from school.

Thank goodness my son was with me.  I have to say two lovely men stopped to ask if I needed help.  I was very thankful, but I have some thoughts on that and that will be another post, this one is too long already.

When I got home the only thing that could make me feel better than a shower and a cup of calming tea (I was pretty hyped from all that iced tea) would be a box of yarn in the mail.  

Yup, I ordered yarn.  I know, I know I said I would not buy more yarn, but it is Autumn everywhere else but here and everyone is making cozy blankets and talking about cooler temps, building fires and leaves changing.  I just couldn't resist.


There is a crochet blanket in my future.  I ordered yarn from KnitPicks for the very first time.  I am hoping I will not be disappointed. You are going to be kicking me in the butt (again) for starting it because you know I am going to complain about making it.  Just giving you another warning.

Hope your weekend was more boring than mine, and remind me not to think my life is boring.

42 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is one bright spot in all that tire mess .....four brand new tires will make your car ride SO nice.

We went to EPCOT Food & Wine last night with friends. If I EVER, EVER say I want to do that again.....kick me in the behind. LOL (TOO many people. Too many DRUNK and NASTY people.)

kristieinbc said...

Oh no! This is exactly what I was saying in my comment on your last post. Hang onto boring. Boring means there are no disasters in the making. I think your yarn order was very well timed. After your weekend you needed something to cheer you up.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

OK, the Karma about boring was chasing you down that road! Glad it turned out OK. No peek at the yarn??? Happy Sunday!

Linda

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

Well, that was no fun! Why do flat tires always happen in inconvenient places? My last one was on a busy freeway (I was alone), but I didn't drive it often, and what with all the splits, etc., coming into the city, I couldn't remember which interstate I was on. One AAA guy gave up when he couldn't find me. Right before the next one did find me, I realized that there was a highway sign maybe 40 yards ahead telling me the road number. Whoops! Panic obviously makes me blind. Glad your adventure had a happy ending.

Christina said...

I hope you and your son liked one of the schools you visited enough to consider it a candidate. Too much excitement is ALWAYS best treated with new yarn. I swear by it, the smell of yarn is calming.
Happy blanket planning. Cx

Pammy Sue said...

I can't wait to see what you are gonna make! Glad you got through your tire disaster okay. That can be scary.

Toni said...

Oh no!!!!!!! What a day! Hope you're getting some serious yarn time today.

Amy at love made my home said...

Well, I guess that it added some definitely adventure to your travels, but no doubt you could have done without it. I hope though that the visits enable some decisions to be made. xx

Teresa Kasner said...

You didn't show us the yarn??? What??? OmG.. the suspense of it all! I'm so sorry for the car trouble in the swampy area.. looks like a scary movie! I'm glad your son was with you. So, did you pick out a college? ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

moonstruckcreations said...

Thank goodness you and your son are ok, sounds an unpleasant experience - William sounds like a star!!

Cant wait to see the yarn when you unpack it.

Helenxx

PS I did have to smile about your comments re. speed, I can relate!

mamasmercantile said...

You spoke to soon and then wham a adventure you could do without. Thank goodness for the yarn order. That will keep you busy.

Mrs. C said...

Glad everybody is ok and it all worked out! Hope you have a better week! :)

Lilbitbrit said...

What a trip glad it ended OK, but not fun at the time. So relate to the whole college thing, The Boy had looked up several colleges iin FL that had good programs in his field, FL State, Miami and we looked at U of Central FL. How do we do this in a VW Bus rented out of Tampa. Boy did we have to push along to make all our appt deadlines, top speed of 55mph in June with no AC, click on my Florida. Alligator Alley we travelled that and some very lonely roads, fortunately we never broke down, although it did have a doggy starter , that had to be left for a while and then it would start. That was always nerve racking.

Annie Cholewa said...

I missed your supposed boring - your posts never are boring you know - and now back from my hols dived straight into this. Just living in Florida sounds like an adventure to me, and you probably deserve a medal for putting up with the heat and all the bitey things. I think you totally deserved a much bigger box of yarn!

Ljubinka said...

Such is life.:/
Have a great week.:*

Unknown said...

Try this again! Wouldn't let me finish!
Never, never, never say your bored! lol.
I hopw after this your son found a school he likes. Or are there more to look at. Does he know what he wants to study yet, or too early to decide. I know that a lot of times they go through a year of basics before they settle into anything or they change their minds anyway. But at least the schools you looked at are closer then the one your oldest son attends. That has to be a plus.
Beautiful pictures, well maybe not the tire.

CJ said...

Oh what a nightmare, I'm glad it ended as well as it could. It's horrible when cars go wrong. As to the yarn, of course you must buy it in September, it is hard-wired into our DNA, it's senseless to try and resist. Autumn = making warm nesty things to help your family survive the long cold dark winter. Even if you live in Florida, the survival instinct will still be there. Just roll with it. Wishing you a good week, I hope the car is fixed very soon and at not too much expense. CJ xx

Unknown said...

Glad it all turned out well and you earned that yarn, so enjoy!

Unknown said...

Oh and knit pick yarns are nice!

RedSetter said...

I'd read your boring post but hadn't got round to commenting. No need to kick you in the behind as the universe usually has it fully covered!

My planned weekend got blown out of the water with my mum getting very sick very quickly and a scary dash to hospital put paid to my Friday afternoon and most of weekend. Living in interesting time is definitely a curse. At least here alligators aren't a risk, which is something I suppose.

You deserve your yarn and some very relaxing time.

Between Me and You said...

D'you know, I was just thinking about you this morning as I read the back of the orange juice carton which purported that the orange juice was made from the juice of 9 squeezed Florida oranges! May your tyre troubles be few and far between from now on, especially since you're involved with all that driving and in that heat! Phew! Good week to you, Meredith. xxx

mynestofyarnandbuttons said...

Gees, Meredith that was some story. I guess you won't be say boring for a while. Thankful you had a good repairman. Hope your monday is uneventful and no new expenses!
xoRobin

kathy b said...

Oh Mere you and your son will talk about that for years to come. SOrry it got so….bumpy and complicated.
Yarn will make it all better. I promise.
We blog pals know you can vent and be in love with life one day and begging for help the next..
We understand!
Rest up …..and here's hoping the a/c bill is LOW

Grammy Braxton said...

Wow, when you go on a trip, YOU go on a trip. Bless your heart, that place really looked almost spooky. I have just made a promise to myself to never say I am bored. I don't think I could have handled that! Glad you got some yarn to work with. Enjoy your forced day at home tomorrow.

Hugs,
Sharon

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

Oh boy. I hate flat tires. We once had 5 flat tires in one trip. 750km. That was the worst. It was summer. Hot. And I was 5 months pregnant. Makes for a good story though.
Who can resist buying yarn in the Fall??? Enjoy the season!

Betsy said...

After all that excitement did you actually choose a school? I'm So sorry you had such a terrible, no good, awful trip. But quality time with Mr. teenager had to have made up for things a bit. The yarn? Oh goodness the yarn. Can't wait to see it.
Blessings,
Betsy

Suzan said...

sounds like you've seen much of Florida that would have been best left unexplored!! What a nice surprise waiting for you at home.

Lynne said...

Oh my gosh Meredith, just stay home and knit for a while. You don't need anymore adventures.
Spill that box of yarn girl! I wanna see :)

My Garden Diaries said...

Oh my goodness! Isn't that just the way with life!!!! I am sooo glad that William came to the rescue!!! It can be so very overwhelming when you are traveling and you get a flat! Here is hoping that this week brings back the boring!! HA! Happy week to you friend! Nicole xoxo

Kris said...

Oh dear! Not good! Glad you were rescued though.
xo

Ingrid K. said...

Oh Meredith! They say be careful what you wish for!!! I'm sure you didn't wish for all of this! Luckily it had a good outcome and I hope your son will find a good college!
Looking forward to seeing what yarn you got (exciting!) and what you are planning to do with it!
Btw, I meant to say, try that little flower dishcloth on Helda's blog - I made one yesterday morning and thought you might like it, too! :)
Hope you have a wonderful week (without further hitches!)
Love, Ingrid xx
http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

Tanna said...

The good news is that y'all are safely home!! Ughhh, I hate flat tires... especially in the middle of nowhere!

Okay, I NEED to see in that box!! LOL! blessings and hugs ~ tanna

Jennifer Hays said...

Oh my gosh. I'm sorry about all of this, it sounds like a real hassle. I'm glad your son was with you, for the company as well as safety in numbers. The whole situation sounds a lot like something that happened to us on our honeymoon, while we were driving through a similar swampy area in North Carolina. It was the least fun you could have on a honeymoon, let me tell you. I'm glad you got home safely. Enjoy the yarn, I think you earned it! :)

Clare said...

Least you are all safe, I so want to know what the yarn in that is like
Clare x

Carla from The River said...

Oh my! Glad you are home and all ended well.

I am excited to see inside that box.
xx oo
Carla

Mindy said...

Oh, guh!!! What a nightmare! I'm glad your son was with you and that it wasn't at nighttime!

Heldasland said...

I am so glad you made it home in one piece.I am also glad your son was with you.It would have been terrible on your own.

linda said...

Oh Meredith you poor thing what a nightmare and it's so good you were not alone. I'm itching to see what's in that box! I'm guessing the colours I wonder if they are the same as the one's I'm planning, yes I'm planning a blanket too how can we not when everyone else is making such beauties. Have a lovely evening. :) xxx

elns said...

Meredith, thanks for taking us on your adventure with you! I'm sorry it was a struggle. I was thinking, well at least it was pretty, but then you went into the "things" of nature and the full bladder. eegads. I'm glad you're home. And i'm sorry it was so expensive, but at least your kid is going to college! whoo hoo!

Willow said...

When it rains, it pours (on so many levels!). No, my weekend wasn't the least bit boring...it was waaaay too busy. Boring will be welcome here at Willow's Cottage.
I'm glad you enjoyed your trip, but am sorry it ended in disaster and heat and expense.

Yarnism said...

Hey Meredith, I am so glad you are safe, what a nightmare...Thanks to the yarn delivery you must have felt better after looking at them...

Hugs,
Sabrina



Judy S. said...

That sounds like quite a trip! Sure am glad you two are all OK. I'd say you deserve more yarn, just what the doc ordered to calm frazzled nerves, right? We just got home from our trip which wasn't nearly as exciting as yours but quite interesting in trying to communicate in different languages, definitely not borint.