Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Malabrigo Madness and Happy Thanksgiving

I have fallen back in love with Malabrigo yarn again, not that we ever had a falling out, I just stopped buying it and using it for a while.  Now I feel like I never want to knit or crochet with anything else.  This yarn is so smooth and beautiful, it is perfect for this new cowl/scarf, which has become my current obsession.





This is the Earth Fairy Button Cowl by Jen at Fiber Flux.  Jen designs about a million beautiful free crochet patterns a year.  This one especially caught my eye and I knew I had to make it.  And you know me, once I make one of something I have to make at least a hundred of them.

I have made four so far, with one more in the works.  Three of the above were from stash yarn.   I know you saw my yarn purchases from my trip to Ohio, I have a few more in mind to make.  Suddenly I think everyone I know should have one!

In order of appearance:

Malabrigo Rios Archangel
Malabrigo Rios Compossita
Malabrigo Rios Azules
 Malabrigo Rios Archangel in a different dye lot.

I purchased the buttons at Joann's, and I used a size J hook.  These are fast to make and used most of the 210 yards in the skein.  A perfect one skein project.  Don't you want to join in the fun?


Yesterday I finished the first part of the delightful Sue's Limpet Mitts.  I am behind in the CAL as the whole pattern has now been provided by Sue on her wonderful blog and I have only made it this far.  The directions are clear and easy, and if you have any questions there are pictures and videos to help. I am learning new stitches and new ways to do things, thank you Sue. I plan on getting at least the matching part of the mitt done sometime today.  Maybe I can get completely done with both of them by the end of the weekend.


I want to wish all of you celebrating Thanksgiving a very special day tomorrow.  My boys will all be together, well at least for the 38 hours Mr. 21 will be home.  I love it when we are all together as a family, everyone sleeping in their own bed just where they are supposed to be. 

I have much to be thankful for this year and every year.  I want you to know that I am truly thankful for each and everyone of you.  I appreciate you taking the time to come and visit me in this little part of my world.  I appreciate your comments and the conversations we have.  I appreciate that you have let me into your life and that you don't mind being a part of mine.

Have a wonderful day tomorrow.

And remember Christmas is less than a month away, now that is a scary thought!
 

36 comments:

Pammy Sue said...

Wow, the cowls are gorgeous...all that colorful yarn! I loved seeing all these. Wish some of your motivation and inspiration would rub off on me. I did finally make some of those dishcloths, but only four and then I pooped out on that. I'm struggling through the last round of a doily I've been working on for what seems like ages. We'll see what happens after that. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the blue cowl! Gorgeous! I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving with your boys home!
hugs,
Linda

Jennifer Hays said...

Your cowls are so beautiful. You've been really busy. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

Bridget said...

Such beautiful cowls! I really need to learn how to crochet ...

Have a wonderful family Thanksgiving!

Ingrid K. said...

Hello Meredith!

Wow!!! Those cowls look absolutely gorgeous! You cannot beat those Malabrigo Rios colours!
I think I like the first colour combination best! :)
I don't know how you managed to make all 4 in such a short amount of time! (I'm also a longstanding reader of Fiberflux' blog and admire the many great patterns she keeps publishing!)

Happy Thanksgiving Holiday!
Ingrid xx
http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

Teresa Kasner said...

Meredith, you are a wonder! Here I am taking like a YEAR to make my one shawl and meantime you've made a gazillion things! Anyhoo.. I am counting YOU as one of my things to be thankful for. Enjoy having all your boys, from Daddy to little one - I bet your dinner will be fun and lively. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Deb said...

You always create the loveliest things in the most cheerful colours!
Happy Thanksgiving Meredith xo

Handmade and off-centered said...

I had a good laugh reading this post. Make a cowl in every color :) You really took this cowl making to another level. I might just have to join in on the fun!
Happy Thanksgiving Meredith. I hope you have a wonderful day with all your boys.

Betsy said...

A house full of boys! What fun for a Mama. You will be seriously outnumbered by them Meredith. :-). Your cowls are very lovely. I just keep plugging away on putting squares together and making Kyleighs sweater.
I hope your Thanksgiving is wonderful and full of fun and happiness, and yes, Thanksgiving.
Blessings my friend,
Betsy

CJ said...

Say what now, Christmas??? Surely not??? Is it time to start panicking yet? Wishing you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving Meredith, and thank you for sharing and for your lovely blog. Have a fantastic day. CJ xx

Jo said...

Happy Thanksgiving Mere. Love those scarves. Jo x

Unknown said...

Hi from a new reader! I just decided to follow your blog, I love your craftsy items I've seen so far! : ) These cowls are amazing, I particularly like the 2nd one, lovely color!
Wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

HollyM said...

Love the cowls! I wish I could wear wool.,I can wear wool socks and mitts, than goodness but can't wear it any wear else. And they are such beautiful yarns. I will need to bundle if I venture outside today! We're getting a big snowstorm.
Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your family time.

Maureen said...

Love the cowls! They'd get a lot of use here; it's really cold out there!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Gillian said...

I've never seen Malabrigo yarn here - don't think it is available. It looks very nice.

Ljubinka said...

Beautiful cowls!!!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Hugs.:*

Anonymous said...

I can believe how fast this year is flying by! Is it because we are getting older? I blink and another week has flown by!

Glad you have all your boys under one roof. Me too ---- it's a great feeling.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving. Looking forward to seeing photos of Little Buddy and his brothers digging into some turkey and stuffing!

Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. I am sure that you will be looking around the table today with a big grin on your face! So many memories to be made.

kathy b said...

Beautiful cowls. malibrigo rocks. Have a great Thanksgiving Mere

linda said...

I love the cowls Meredith the first one is my favourite and Sue's mitts are gorgeous, wish I had the time to make some. Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you have a wonderful time with your family. :)xxx

Reginas Cottage said...

hello meredith,
your cowls are so beautiful! Love the colours! and the yarn is a dream.
happy thanksgiving to you and your family!
regina

Joyful said...

Beautiful knitwear!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones.

Gracie Saylor said...

I really like the cowl pattern, too, Mere!!!! Well done x 4 :)
We had 13 around our table today, just missing my oldest son and his family in NY, but we too, have so much for which to be thankful, and I am thankful for your friendship as well! Hope you and yours are having a wonderful time together xx

Judy S. said...

Thanks for the pattern link, Mere! You're right, it's a nice one. If I can tear myself away from "your" dishcloth, I might just try it. Gotta finish the Christmas stockings first though.

Diane said...

The cowls are so pretty. Finished mine last week and immediately frogged it. I cannot seem to get the edges on crochet straight:(.

Caffeine Girl said...

I had a wonderful T-giving and I'm sure you did, too. It is awesome having all the kids in one place!

Lynne said...

The cowls are beautiful - I think that blue one is my favorite!
Thanksgiving pooped me out, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Hope you had a good one too

moonstruckcreations said...

Belated Thanksgiving greetings to you and yours Meredith, I hope you all had a wonderful time together.

and your crochet is amazing, I am off to check out that pattern!!

Helenxx

Linda said...

This is a fabulous pattern to be obsessed about and Happy Thanks Giving to you and your family. Enjoy your time together, however short it is, it is always special to have your nearest and dearest at home with you xx

Carla from The River said...

Beautiful ~ I love all your work.
Enjoy this special weekend.
xx oo
Carla

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I too love Malabrigo, its a treat. And welcome back :)

Anita said...

Gorgeous cowls! They all look so lovely and the colours are fabulous. My boys haven't even left home yet and I love the fact they are safe and warm in their own beds....feeling your love there! lol
Cheers, Anita.

Helen said...

what gorgeous cowls! I have always wanted to make the pattern, I think you've inspired me :) I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving all together at home :)

Toni said...

The cowls are beautiful! Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

Suzan said...

All are lovely Cowls!! Fun colors!!

Mrs. Micawber said...

Hey Mere - Obviously I have missed several posts! I see you're doing a Limpet Mitt - I'm planning a roundup post with photos from everyone who has participated. Can I slurp your photo from your blog and include it?

Regarding the Ohio State yarn - what amazing colour pooling on the hat! Mr. College will look totally cool in his designer headgear (with coordinating scarf). :)