Friday, May 18, 2018

A long time ago.......





A long time ago in a land that seems far away, a not so young woman named Meredith started a blog about knitting and yarn.  At first only her dear sister read it, but soon a few people here and there started to reach out.  The blog was simple, no awards for writing here, but still Meredith kept at it.  There was some mention of family, young men growing up and work, lots about a beautiful dog named Max and that about summed it up.  As life got busier and a special Little Boy joined the family, knitting and all yarn related activities seemed to take a back seat.  This blog started to evolve and move as the years went by, with an increase in work loads, and increase in Little Buddy activities and older boys graduating and moving on with life.  There were some spots of weaving, still some knitting, and then crocheting became the thing to mention here in this space.  Now it feels like ages since anything was actually knit here, well knit with success that is.  It has been over a year since I have knit with a real purpose, actually 15 months to be exact.  I have been feeling the call to pick up the needles again so that this blog called Mereknits, would actually have some knitting content.   After finishing my second Olivia's Shawl I thought I might try to take up the knitting challenge once again.  I am making, or might I say trying to make the Longline Cardigan with Malabrigo Twist in the color Grapes.  I know I will be playing a bit of yarn chicken with this one but we will see how it goes.  So far I am enjoying the simple pattern and the rhythm of two needles in my hands.  I am just taking it as it goes, with no stress to actually get the project done, maybe it will work this time.

As for the shawl, it is made with Berroco Modern Cotton in the color Salty Brine.  I have used this before with another shawl I gave to a dear friend.  This yarn can be a bit splity but is beautiful to work with.  About 750 yards used with a size G hook.  This is for Little Buddy's special assistant at school for her end of the year present.  She deserves so much more than this because she is so incredible.



Little Buddy and I were treated to a real surprise this week.  Our dear friend Tammy at T's Daily Treasures sent us a special treat.  Look at Little Buddy he has a jersey straight from Kuwait!  Tammy treated us to other special surprises one of which was this wonderful cross stitch.  Tammy I can't thank you enough for thinking of us as you travel and celebrate all the wonderful things in your life, you are the very best!  


As for today it will be a bit sad.  This is Little Buddy's last day with his Physical Therapist.  He will be moving onto someone new in a few weeks at a new clinic.  PT Terri, as we call her, has been such a blessing to us.  She has worked so hard to help Little Buddy move on with gross motor skills and ambulation.  We are taking her these beautiful roses as orange is her favorite color.  They are a bit more orange than this photo indicates, nothing garish, just pretty.  We will miss her so much.  


I just had to add this to make you all smile.  Little Buddy is a bit, well maybe not just a bit obsessed with Honda Odyssey vans.  I am not sure why but he is.  He talks about them all the time, so much so I have to tell him to get a new subject.  His teacher found this for him and he finished coloring it in last night.  Red is his favorite color and he swears when he can drive, at 18, 19, or 20 he is going to get a red Honda Odyssey van.  I hope his has a better paint job than this one.  Happy Friday everyone.

As I am finishing up writng this and have just heard about yet another school shooting I  think we can all use a Little Buddy smile.  When will all of this horror stop?

31 comments:

Jo said...

Oh no, I haven't heard the news about the school shooting, it seems there's something terrible every time we turn the TV on these days. It's funny how our blogs evolve, though if we're writing about life in general I suppose it makes sense that it does. The shawl is fabulous, I'm sure Little Buddy's assistant will love it.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

The Little Buddy smile is always wonderful to see. Yes another school shooting, I am just so angry and sad!

Vera said...

The mass destruction doesn't seem to end. But Little buddy always brings a smile to my face. He is so fun!

Salty Brine is the best name - and perfect for that yarn.

Wishing you a peaceful weekend.

CJ said...

A blog is a journey isn't it, and I always love the latest episode in yours. Little Buddy has made me smile with his Honda Odyssey van obsession. Terrible to hear of another shooting. So very sad. Wishing you a peaceful weekend, with a little knitting time. CJ xx

busybusybeejay said...

I am looking forward to seeing the completed knitting.I am knitting a cardigan at the moment.I have done the back,right front and nearly finished the second sleeve so getting there slowly.Barbarax

Teresa Kasner said...

I love how your blog has evolved, your goodness shines through with things you make and give to those in your life, the love you shower on Little Buddy and his brother dogs. Your shawl is divine and I know it will be loved. I wear my pink Sunday Shawl nearly every day. I asked Dayle.. "If I was to make another shawl like my pink one, what color do you think I should use, blue or purple?" And he said.. why do you need another shawl? MEN! LOL! Isn't Tammy the sweetest? Have a restful weekend my friend. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

bittenbyknittin said...

LB's obsession with Odyssey vans cracks me up! My 7-year-old granddaughter has latched onto wolves, as her spirit animal I guess. Good luck with the knitting - love that color!

Betsy said...

I enjoyed reading your recap about the evolution of your blog. It’s been fun following it through all of those stages and I truly enjoy reading about your family especially your wonderful boys. The yarn you’ve chosen to knit with is beautiful and so is the shawl you made for a gift. You are truly a generous person with your time Meredith. I got a sweet little surprise in the mail yesterday from Tammy myself. What a sweet, sweet lady she is to think of all of us when she comes back to the states to visit. I heard about the shooting just a little while ago. Such a horrible, tragic and senseless thing.
Many blessings my friend,
Betsy

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I'm so happy to see you received your package and that the shirt fits Little B. I thought I would have so much time while traveling to get all my mailing done, but was rushed at the end trying to get it all out. Have watched the news of the school shooting and just do not understand how someone gets into a school with a sawed off shotgun and a handgun. Serious problems indeed!

Kris said...

How funny that Little Buddy loves Honda Odyssey cars! He is getting so big!!
Love the shawls! I am in a bit of a knitting slump. Only a pair of socks on the needles now. Bu I am itching to get another sweater going!
Happy weekend!
xo Kris

Anonymous said...

Wishing you and Little Buddy a wonderful summer. Hard to believe that another school year has gone by so quickly.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Thank you again Meredith for writing and sharing your blog evolution. Thank you for sharing Little Buddy's Honda Odyssey. Good job - and always something more to share with everyone (plus a very nice shirt).

Heartbreaking news today.

Joy

mamasmercantile said...

The shooting is all over the news, my heart goes out to all those affected. I despair of this needless loss of life. You were so right we did need Little Buddy to bring us some cheer, it was a success I am sat here smiling.

My Creative Life said...

Love reading your blog Meredith. I'm just catching up again, I've sadly neglected my blog. I never feel I have anything to say about things I 'should' have made - so I haven't been about recently. I've missed connecting with everyone in blogland. Keep smiling Meredith, (if you believe in God - when bad things happen to good people - I think God is 'still' on the throne).
Take care, Cathy x

Jo said...

I kind of forgot it was called Mereknits and just think of you as Meredith, my friend from over the pond with whom we share family news! The shawl is beautiful. Jo xx

Araignee said...

I'm with Little Buddy. I've been obsessed with watching videos on drawing cars just like the one he has colored. No idea why. Some weird cosmic thing must be at play. I'll just go with it and see where it leads me.

Delighted Hands said...

Woohoo; knitting! Enjoy the shawl and the process of needle in your hands again! Nice coloring on the van-I think they are the best vans, too!

kathy b said...

Meredith as I started reading I almost shuddered...were you going to stop blogging? I was so afraid you would say that. !!! INstead your mojo is back! HOORAY. IM co dependent on you!!
Losing a great part of Lil BUddy's team must be very difficult. He'll adjust! You will take more time!
Yourcrocheted shawls are so lovely so light so special!

Caffeine Girl said...

These school shootings are so dispiriting. My students told me about this last one Friday after lunch, and I don't know how to respond anymore.

I hope that LB's new PT will be just as good as this one has been. I'm sure she loved the flowers.

Good for you for getting back to yarn. Yarn is very soothing during these tough times.

And thanks for the laugh over the paint job on LB's minivan!

Judy S. said...

Love that purple yarn and the beautiful shawl;it will be treasured, I am sure of that. LB is such a cutie. and he is so lucky to be a part of your family. As for the most recent school shooting, words fail me and I am overcome with sadness. When oh when will it end?

Anonymous said...

Indeed, no stress, enjoy the knitting!
The story about your blog starts the same as my story :-) At first, only my sister and my daughter read my blog :-) That's how it goes.
I'm glad you always kept blogging, because otherwise I wouldn't have discovered this beautiful blog and I wouldn't be able to enjoy your stories, the fun stories and the sad stories. After I read your blog I always feel like I got an update about how it goes with my dear 'neighbour', Meredith, who also loves crafting and who is such a good person.
Love your shawl! Take care x

Christina said...

Blogs change, just like we do. It is nice to follow one another's story over time. I enjoy my visits here, I do feel we have a lot in common and I learn from you. You have so much love to give, it is beautiful. Isn't it funny how children get so obsessed with one thing, then three weeks later something completely different? I guess I am a bit like this but maybe less noticeably so :-)
Wishing you a restful Sunday, maybe with some knitting? x

karen said...

I hope the new PT is just as wonderful if not more so. I hate change. I love his kuwait shirt and the lovely car he colored. The knitting and crafts will always be there, so just enjoy when you do have the time to do them :)

Melanie said...

I'm glad you're picking up your knitting needles again; you are so talented and your shawls are gorgeous. Little Buddy always makes me smile when I see photos of him. Tammy is so sweet to have sent LB that Kuwait tshirt and cross-stitch.

Nance said...

It's lovely to hear of you knitting once again. I hope it goes well and comforts you.

Lorrie said...

Life changes, we change, and blogs change, too. I'm just glad that you are still blogging. So many have quit recently. I hope you enjoy your return to knitting. A Little Buddy smile is a bright spot in any day.

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Your shawls are pretty and just looked up the sweater you are going to knit. I like that too. Glad you are still blogging as I enjoy reading it and seeing LB adorable face! Fun that he likes that style of vehicle. Gotta be for a good reason! Nice gifts your recieved from your friend too...sweet! A young man was arrested here in town for writing threats about shooting up the middle school here in town. It was reported to the police....he's 13 years old! What's happening to our younger generation? Prayers for our nation and our world! hugs and have a good rest of your week, Mere!

Needles and Wool said...

That is great that you will be knitting a project soon! Looking forward to seeing it. That is too bad that there are some changes with Buddy's therapist, but hoping new adventures await! So cute Buddy loves the vans, he did a great job coloring the van!

alexandra s.m. said...

Hello dear Meredith,

It was so nice playing "catch up" on your blog this evening!
Your shawls are beautiful (great colors too) and I always enjoying reading about the way you deal with life.
You have such grace!

Thinking of you and wishing you the very BEST <3

Sandy said...

As I was out making my blog rounds I came across your link and thought I'd pop inn for a visit. Lovely shawl. Buddy looks quite happy with his special gift. It's always nice to meet new bloggers and I hope things go well for you with all your projects.

Christine W said...

I like it to read your blogs 😍 with all the items you write about. Nice scarf, beautiful flowers and crossstitch-heart.