Friday, October 19, 2018

A forced day at home with Little B, Hank and some new yarn..........


Today I am car less.  It seems a few weeks ago someone backed up into the front of my car and left a huge dent.  A huge dent and no note with information on it I might add.  Sigh, some people are just not very nice.  I did not notice it right away as it is in the front passenger side of my car.  It must have happened over the weekend at some point.  Again, heavy sigh.  Today was the day to get it fixed, but also the day Little Buddy's helper at school needed to leave early.  With no car it was just to hard to figure out how to get him early so we decided to have him stay home.  His regular teacher was also going to be absent.  They sent home his work and I did not have to worry about him, a win win.  What was super exciting is big brother had to drive him to pick me up when I dropped off my car.  A ride in big brother's car is the best.  We are now done with homework and classwork for the whole weekend.  Hooray!


The Hank/leg injury saga continues.  He would not leave it alone and had to be put on tranquilizers Monday and of course use a protective cone to thwart his leg licking abilities.  Let me just say that tranquilizers don't do much with his puppy stamina and well apparently cones can be eaten.  Lets also say a certain husband of mine might not have listened to me when I asked him to put the larger cone on Hank when he went into his crate on Wednesday when my husband went to work.  And lets just say a certain oldest son of mine came home early from work to do paperwork and found Hank with his cone off, and Bear and Hank both chomping on the plastic.  And it might just be that this son did not completely understand how to put the large cone on while attaching it to Hank's collar from the directions he received from me over the phone.  And to make the story even better lets just say the babysitter did not watch what Hank was doing in his crate, where she placed him for a bit and he got that large cone/collar off and Bear and he both had another crunch fest.   You can almost imagine how thrilled I was to find out about the second cone and collar after I got home from yet my third 13 hour day in a row.  It would have been nice to know about the second cone/collar before I made it home because I had to pack up Little B and take him to the pet store at 8:00 at night to get more protective cones and a new collar.  I.  Was.  Not.  Happy!



I found this new type of collar at the pet store.  It blows up and attaches with Velcro in two places around the neck.  It also has a strap that goes under his front legs, across his chest and hooks back into the collar.  It is supposed to restrict his ability to turn his body to reach his legs.  Now this ultra flexible, apparently yoga practicing dog of mine can still reach it if I don't have that strap super, super tight.  Still he is finally starting to heal, finally.  This has been a 12 day ordeal for me.  All because I cut him with the scissors trying to get a big mat off his leg.  You can only imagine the mats that are occurring from all these collars and straps.  I'll deal with those later.  He is sure happy to be off all those tranquilizers, look at that smile even if he looks like he has a whiplash injury!


I think because of all the dog stress, political stress, my work load stress, and of course just life stress I caved in and bought yarn.  I have just been so good this year and really have only bought vacation yarn which we all know does not count when on a yarn diet or yarn restrictions.  It was that darn time at the vet's office when we were waiting to be seen and I had all that time on Pinterest.  Seeing that beautiful Lakeside Pullover made me want to make it right away with the yarn suggested.  Of course I don't have the yarn for it in my stash, and after reading up about Lion Brand Yarn ZZ Twist, yarn that was made with crocheters in mind, I had to buy some.  I looked it up and wouldn't you know they had the right amount of skeins, in my favorite color, right at the Joann's near me.  So I went and bought it.  And while there they had this beautiful Buttercream Luxe Craft Yarn, which I think is now a Joann's yarn brand, on sale so I also bought it.  Well you see I did have to spend so much to use my $10 off coupon.  I am not usually a Joann's yarn shopper but am interested in how these yarns will work up.  Have any of you used them?

Okay, I am out of here.  I have Little Buddy enjoying a movie after all the work he has done and I still have work to do around the house to catch up from my work week.  Happy Weekend!

26 comments:

Betsy said...

Meredith. Anybody who could find anything negative to say about you buying yarn after reading this post needs to have their head examined! Those faces look so innocent, but oh my goodness the mischief they get up to. I think you are the epitome of patience. The cone of shame. All of our dogs have hated it. I hope you have an absolutely amazing relaxing weekend my dear friend.
Blessings,
Betsy

Wanderingcatstudio said...

After all that, you totally deserved that yarn!

Teresa Kasner said...

Oh my goodness, Mere.. what a whirlwind around your house! I hope his wound totally heals fast so he doesn't need the restrictive collar. I wish you didn't have to work so hard and so long. I'm glad you got some new yarn.. life is just so short to not get what you want. I hope your weekend is long, lovely, peaceful and that you get to start working with that yarn! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Gracie Saylor said...

You succeeded in getting me to chuckle out loud. Thanks, Mere. :) but I am sorry for the trials you have endured, and am so glad you found just the right yarn for your Lakeside Pullover! I hope you truly enjoy stitching it up. Preparing to rapidly sell the house and move I precipitously packed my circular needles and want to start a new preemie blanket. Thankfully I was loaned some circular needles and given some Caron Simply Soft paints yarn from a giveaway stash. I want to try to use the Grandma's dishcloth pattern to make the blanket, but am a little worried about accidentally reversing mid row. However, nothing ventured nothing gained, right? xxxxxxx

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Dog..cat..child..work...yep..yarn sounds good too, to enjoy and ....Keep.Calm.And.Crochet...Away!!! Enjoy your weekend in spite of it all!😀

MargaretP said...

Oh my goodness, stress overload. I don't know how you can keep your patience with uncooperative "dog helpers " and the havoc you have to remedy.
I have a little tip to help with clipping tangles...put a thin plastic comb between the skin and the fur before you start snipping, then wriggling won't be a problem.
Your yarn acquisition was totally needed....Yarn Harlot says knitting keeps her from killing people....good call !!
Ilove the multi oloured yarn, so lovely, makes me warm just looking at it, can't wait to see it made up.
Hope your weekend is calm and restful.

busybusybeejay said...

My goodness .What a time you have had.Try and get a bit of “me” time this weekend.Bx

Jo said...

You can never have enough yarn I say. Jo xx

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Oh my goodness! Those smiles on those furry boy faces. So cute! They've not a clue how much commotion they cause. :) Glad to hear the leg is finally healing up. You were smart to just take a mental day with so much going on. Yarn was definitely well-deserved. Happy weekend!

Between Me and You said...

You're such a trouper, Meredith. I don't know how you do it. Love all of that new yarn-rationalisation! Have a good and restful weekend.xx

Delighted Hands said...

Nothing like a pair of dogs to add to the shenanigans of the week!
Enjoy the yarn and the weekend!

mamasmercantile said...

Sounds like quite the trying week, you certainly deserve a little treat of yarn. Hopefully it be the perfect sweater you are dreaming of.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

You have the most amazing dogs! I'm tired just reading abour your life! Hugs!

Araignee said...

Oh dear, that cone drama brought back memories. Our last departed doggie had to wear one all the time or she would chew her feet off. The vet tried everything and nothing would stop this behavior which got worse as she got older so cone it was. We went through lots of different one too. I wish I had seen the one you found. That might have been just what we needed. Yarn is a great stress reliever-unless you are covered in poison ivy, which I am. I look like a monster too and am very happy I have nowhere to go.

Janice Smith said...

What an awesome photo of your handsome fur boys! As for Little Buddy, he is too cute for words.
I just went to our quild quilt show and came home with a quilt kit. Did I need another kit? Absolutely not, but I loved it and life is too crazy not to indulge in things that make us happy.

Hope this week is a bit easier for you. :-()

Nance said...

Yarn? What yarn? ;-)

kathy b said...

Oh Meredith. What a puppy week. You are such a good writer. Im sorry it happened, but your writing make me chuckle Dogs will be dogs. Any trip at 8pm in the dark cold night is not a good one in my book.
love your new yarn plans. We inspire each other with our ideas, plans and purchases!
Go Brewers!

Anonymous said...

I think I would have to get a super duper electric razor and set it on "Adorable Puppy Buzz Cut." yes. it's a whole new term. I made it up.
you could start a trend. it would catch on fast. the perfect answer to all dilemmas HAIR RELATED. from pills to collars to scissor free zone to blood free
omgosh. I just freaked myself out. seriously but I would do that. it would be cheap and so cute. they would always look like puppies.
and you deserve a break. well. you actually deserve a room at the best exotic hotel and the most delicious slightly inebriating drink. but I digress.
I'm outta here. kudos to you for surviving a HE** of a week!!! XOXO
oh yes. the yarn is lovely!

CJ said...

Sorry about the car, how frustrating. Oh how much trouble puppies get into. Glad it is healing now though. I am familiar with the last-minute trips to get a new cone, Bertie wrecked his by running full pelt up the garden and smashing them into things. Sigh. Lovely yarn, and very well deserved, enjoy! CJ xx

Jo said...

There's so many dishonest people these days, bashing into a car and then driving off, it seems to happen more and more. Those troublesome pups have been causing havoc again I see, little monkeys, still, you wouldn't be without them, I know. The yarn was well deserved.

karen said...

dogs are the worse (and cats). I feel sorry for all that you have gone through. glad that he is finally healing but gosh what an ordeal!

Melanie said...

What an ordeal with the dogs! I hope you had a good, relaxing weekend and that you got a chance to play with your new yarn!

handmade by amalia said...

A big hug for poor Hank. And one for Little Buddy as well. Sometimes things just pile up. Someone backed into my car a while back. I was pleasantly surprised that they'd left a note until I tried calling them, it was the number of a woman who didn't live in my town and didn't have a driver's license. Picked out of a hat, I guess. Some people...
Amalia
xo

Dee said...

Hope Hank is feeling better soon. Oh those lab mix puppies .... they DO love to chew things up.

That toy that Little Buddy is sitting on is pretty cool. Do you scoot it with your feet? Or am I not seeing the pedals?

Kimberley said...

oh my goodness. That yarn (and future yarn purchases!) is well deserved!

R's Rue said...

Love