Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Hank and Bear's Excellent Adventure

                                               

This was the scene late last night at my house.  Two very exhausted boys and I might add very exhausted family.  Would you like to hear about Hank and Bear's Excellent Adventure?  Yup, I know it isn't Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, although I do have a soft spot for Keanu Reeves.  

 

Yesterday we were having our roof pressure washed and the man doing it left our back lanai door open.  When my husband got home he let the boys out on the lanai like he always does and well you can imagine what happened next, they found that door and took off at lightening speed.  My husband woke up my son who was home from college and they went off after them, my neighbor was out and took off in his car to help with the chase.  I was happily ignorant at work until I pulled up at my next patient's home and got a text message from my neighbor way down the block that said, "I just saw the boys running toward The Enclave." which is the subdivision next door to mine.  I called home no one was there, I called my husband but he didn't answer and then called my son.  He told me they were missing and had not been seen anywhere, and that was for 30 minutes at that point.  I walked into my little ones home, told them my dogs were missing and drove the 45 minutes back to my house to help.

 We had five separate cars out looking, we had security out looking and let me tell you these boys were no where to be found.  We basically live on a swamp that has plenty of water in it right now due to recent rain.  We live off of an almost 9,000 acre preserve which is why we have so much wildlife near us.  Our main subdivision is huge, surrounded by really busy streets.  There are so many people in this area everyday, I was so worried they would be hit by a car or truck, or just picked up and taken away.

Finally, my husband found someone who was working on the golf course who had seen them but the boys would not let him get near.  He gave my husband a ride in the golf cart to about where he had seen them and darn if they hadn't moved down another hole.  Yup, that is where they were found, running around the green and playing like it was no big deal.  When my husband called them he swears they looked at each other like, should we really go to him?  We are having the time of our lives!  It is so scary out there my friends.  My husband saw a coyote on the golf course, my son an 8-9 foot alligator and I just saw hills and ponds as I raced across the golf course looking for them.  

Their great adventure lasted about 2 1/2 hours and I swear it took about ten years off our lives.  My son said that as he drove around his heart felt emptier with each minute he did not find them, mine did too.




When they got home they were so covered in swamp water, burrs, twigs and Lord knows what else, I called the groomer at Petsmart and we took them in.  So now they have had their first official haircut.  Apparently the burrs were so deep she had to trim them very close to their skin.  Gone are the beautiful feathers on their legs but I don't care, they are home and they are okay, that is all that matters.  Let me tell you these boys could have been in a very dangerous position, alligators win in Florida, they kill dogs all the time.  Coyote's win, especially if there is a group of them.  Cars, win...........we know that.  

I am seriously so mad at them still, don't let those cute faces fool you I am not taken in by them.  It is funny because they know I am mad, they will go up to everyone for attention but me right now, and I didn't even yell at them.  These boys, while I love them are not the smartest of dogs, they are into everything.  Thank God they did not get curious and approach something that would have had them for lunch.


I am home from work for the day today for doctor and dentist appointments.  I did not mean to take half a day off yesterday but that is how it goes.  Little Buddy's walker situation has been rectified, a new blue one like the one I ordered will be delivered soon.  He will use one at school and have one at home for when he needs it for long distances like the soccer field above.

I will leave you all with this photo of Little Buddy and his best friend after soccer last Saturday.  They just love each other so much.  Aren't they adorable?  

36 comments:

Pam said...

You must have felt dreadful, thankfully it was well in the end. I have notices on my gates saying Please shut the gate but people would till leave them swinging. Now they have locks on and anyone who needs to go through has to ask. It is a pain but better then the alternative.

busybusybeejay said...

Oh no!What a palaver.You must have been sooooo worried.Thank goodness it turned out OK.

Mac n' Janet said...

That is so scary. Miss Kitty got out last week, but bless her heart she went out through the garage, but went around and climbed the stairs to the front porch. I'm always scared when she gets out, we lost our last cat to a dog attack.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you found both your dogs, but the only one to really be mad at is the guy who left the gate open. Terrible. Love the last pic of your son and his friend.


Erika

Lilbitbrit said...

What mayhem for the family. They know they're in the dog house. Love the last photo of Buddy and his friend.

Jo said...

Oh my goodness, naughty boys. What an adventure they had, a good thing that they stayed together, partners in crime. I'm so pleased that you eventually found them and that they hadn't come to any harm. That last photo is so sweet, glad you got the walker situation sorted out.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

The boys look completely unrepentant!

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

How scary! I have had dogs run off before, but that was in Michigan where the wildlife is not quite so aggressive. So glad they are back and I bet your husband checks the lanai doors before letting them out going forward!

Janice Smith said...

I know exactly how terrifying it can be when a pet gets loose. Emma, my mini schnauzer, has gotten loose a few times. Once she was found happily greeting folks entering and exiting a diner around the corner from my house. She was having a fine time while I was going crazy seaching for her.

Your fur boys do look cute and innocent with their new haircuts. :-)

Karen said...

As soon as I read "left the door open" my heart dropped. I'm so glad they are okay. Our shepherd took off one fourth of July (was scared by the fireworks) and I swear it took 10 years off my life. Those stinkers! Love that last photo <3

Lowcarb team member said...

I am so glad you found both your dogs.
Just love the photograph of Little Buddy and his best friend.

All the best Jan

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Whew Meredith - that was SCARY - I was holding my breath and read as fast as I could. Goodness I am SO GLAD your great team of searchers found them.

Buddy and his best friend look so happy to be together, bet they are talking up a storm.

HUGS.

Joy

Dee said...

Oh my ..... I think I would have had a word with the power washer people too and it probably would NOT have been a *kind* word.

Glad you boys were found safe and sound --- even a bit dirty sounds better than the things that *could* have happened.

That photo of Little Buddy is adorable. You can tell these two are the best of friends.

Gracie Saylor said...

So glad Hank and Bear are safe and that the rest of the family is recovering :) Little Buddy with his little buddy is a precious photo. Thanks for sharing xx

Pradeepa said...

Oh no! What a terrible time you must have had looking for them! My parents' dog had run away quite a few times and it's really very scary. They look so adorable. Beautiful picture of Little Buddy and his friend!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! My thoughts were racing as I read this. I knew from the pictures that they were safe and sound, but oh my goodness, they sure gave you all a fright. Silly boys. One would like to think that they learned their lesson, but probably not. They got a taste of freedom and they’ll probably want to repeat it. Just like all little boys. I’m so glad they’re home safely in spite of all the very real dangers that they faced. You’re a great mom. That is such a cute photo little buddy and his friend. I hope you had a chance to take a deep breath and relax this evening. Blessings, Betsy

Willow said...

They are ALL adorable. Little Buddy, his friend and those naughty dogs.
My daughter's dog ran off in a strange neighborhood last Christmas. We all aged about five years before we found him. I'm glad those boys are home.

Teresa Kasner said...

Well for goodness sakes.. those rascals! You are so right.. there were so many things that could have hurt them.. I'm so glad you got them back safely.. and groomed and cleaned too! Sheesh!

That photo of the two boys is simply priceless. I'm glad he has a friend with so much in common. BFFs.

Let's hope you have less drama and get some rest over the next few days and the weekend!!

((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Araignee said...

How terrible! I am so happy you found them. Wow...just wow...

Bridget said...

Oh man, that is just the worst - not knowing! I'm glad the stinkers were located and are safely home.

Nance said...

What a fright! I'm glad it finally ended up with two dogs safely home.
And that last photo of two other friends hanging out together...Priceless.

DelightedHands said...

So grateful for the happy ending and can just imagine all the stress of the 'hunt' until then! Nice to know you were surrounded by so many helpful hands along the way, too!
The pic of Lil' Buddy is adorable!

kristieinbc said...

But they look so innocent! :-)

Seriously, I'm so glad they were found, safe and sound. It will probably take you days to recover.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Oh no! Those bad, bad furboys. They certainly had everyone running after them. I can just imagine how you all felt. Yikes! Thankfully they are back home safe and sound. I love that last picture of Little B and his best friend. So very sweet.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

oh Mere! I know you were all frantic. So glad they were found and alright. They look like rascals for sure. Once my Charlie Kitty got out and was gone for over a day and I was sure he was gone as in someone's dinner. Somehow he had gotten up a tree(no front claws) and was meowing and was saved. You would think he learned his lesson, but no he would still try to sneak out an open door. After your mad is over hug those furry boys tight.

Anonymous said...

now why do I have tears? it turned out all right. but still I do.
they're safe. thank heaven. but I relived your family's terror in looking for them!
that's the puppy cut I was talking about! they are so adorable. I love their expressions and the fact they are touching each other. little brothers bonded by their mischief! a mischief brought on by an unthinking uncaring power washer. HE is the real culprit here. no one else! somebody should TELL HIM.
you have a wonderful community to help you search like that!
and finally... the picture of Little Buddy and his own little buddy...
how can anyone ever top that??? bless you Mere! bless you real good! XOXO

kathy b said...

Oh My goodness. My heart was sinking just reading about it. I had our deaf cat RADAR get out one day and we could not help but CALL AND CALL and call knowing full well he was deaf. Thank you St. Francis and every animal angel up there, that Radar was just two houses away. Dogs can go far and they can go fast. Oh Thank you for the happy story. I blaming Hank .......that's not even fair! Thankfully they stayed together. !

THe last photo of Lil B and his pal is the image I will hold in my heart all day.

Lil B is going to get two very GOOFY tiny things in the mail soon. He can call one Hank and one Bear. Because they are goof balls.

Vera said...

Oh my gosh! So glad your boys are ok. Love that picture of Little Buddy and his friend!

Jeannie Gray Knits said...

So glad the boys were found safe. Ours have gotten out a few times. Twice we've found our foxhound laying on the front porch with no idea she was even missing. The Pyrenees would only travel about a half a mile before he turned around to make his way back home. He knew where the food bowl was!

Jo said...

Those naughty boys! Glad they are all safe now. Jo x

Caffeine Girl said...

That sounds terrifying! Your boys are true adolescents: no sense of risk and all about fun and exploring. I can't imagine how scared you all were.

LB and his best friend are adorable. I love seeing good friends. It makes school and activities so much more fun!

Jodiebodie said...

Hank and Bear's adventure story got my heart racing just reading about it. What a relief to have them home intact, cheeky things. Especially when we think about all the misadventures that could have befallen them.

It is so nice that LB has a mate who also uses a walking frame. It is so important for children to see that they are not alone in their challenges and to have that peer support.

I hope the soccer season goes well.

Christina said...

They look so innocent, your naughty boys. I am glad they were found safe and unharmed. Our dog runs away regularly, he is small and squeezes through the tiniest gap in fences. It is always very stressful and we don't even have alligators and coyotes here! I hope you all have a lovely weekend. xx

Una said...

What a scare you had! Thank goodness they turned up safe. We have an advert on tv here that shows 2 dogs like yours dancing with each other. They are so distracting I have no idea what the advert is for!

Anonymous said...

Wishing you and yours a blessed and happy,healthy 2019.
Marilyn

steven said...


This is a testimony that i will tell everyone to hear i have been married four 3years and on the 4years of my marriage another woman had a spell to take my husband away from me and my husband left me and the kids and we have suffered for 1year and 6 months until i meant a post where this man Dr Bakaba have helped someone and i decided to give him a try to help me bring my love husband home and believe me i just send my picture to him and that of my husband and after 3days as he have told me i saw a car drove into the house and behold it was my husband and he have come to me and the kids and that is why i am happy to make every one of you in similar to met with this man and have your lover back to your self His email ( bakabaspelltemple@gmail.com ) or call or WhatsApp him ( +2347063836098 ) DOCTOR BAKABA CAN AS WELL HELP THE FOLLOWING PROBLEMS
1. HIV/AIDS CURE
2. HERPES CURE
3. CANCER CURE
4 PREGNANCY SPELL
5 ALZHEIMER DISEASE CURE
6 HOW YOU CAN TIGHTEN YOUR VAGINA,
get all your problem solve. No problem is too big for
him to solve..Contact him now ALICIA from united state
THANKS Dr BAKABA