Sunday, May 24, 2020

My not so relaxing long weekend................

How are your my friends?  Any news?  We here in the US are enjoying a long weekend and in my usual style I have been way, way to busy!  


But first a picture of my darling boys last weekend.  This is how they sleep in their crate, hugging each other, or face to face with their paws touching.  They are adorable or they were until they got a much need, but very drastic hair cut.



These are not the same boys I dropped off at the groomers that is for sure.  They took everything off, and I mean everything.  Hair fur, leg fur, belly fur and chest fur.  And no they did not trim a heart in Hank's chest, that is just a reflection of the lighting.  I was a bit shocked when I first saw them to be honest, but am trying to get used to it.  They certainly don't have any mats now, and they should be cooler for the summer but still they don't even look like the same dogs!



Friday after we finished all of Little Buddy's schooling he took a break and did some weaving, well sort of.  He can't quiet get the over/under part so he just pulls the loops across the loom.  It is a great fine motor task so I encourage him to do it as much as I can.  I love it when he really concentrates.  One more week of school to go!  Woo Hoo!  We have handed in all the graded assignments so now it is busy work until the end of the week. 

And just so you all know this superstar rode his bike one mile last Saturday!  It was amazing!  Yesterday he rode it a half mile but rode so fast I had to jog to keep up with him for most of the ride, which he thought was hysterical.  Time for Mom to get a new bike too so I can keep up with this boy on his.  Thank you so much for your wonderful comments on my last post about Little Buddy's new bike.  And thank you from the bottom of my hear for those of you who donated to One Simple Wish, it is such a worthy cause. 


In typical Meredith fashion I can't sit still on a long weekend, so I decided to recover my kitchen chairs.  It has been on my list of things to do for over a year but when I look at fabric I can't find any I like.  I also wanted to wait just a bit because all the chairs I have are frayed from the velcro on Little Buddy's braces and I wanted him to grow just a wee bit more so he his brace would be past this part of the chair.  On a whim Friday I went to Joann's for just a peek and of course found exactly what I wanted, and it was on sale which is a big bonus.


Here is one of  the finished kitchen chairs, there are six in all.  Of course I underestimated the fabric so I had to go back and get more.  I also used Scotch Guard on all of them to make sure they would be protected from Little Boy spills.  My husband helped me screw them all into place which was a great help to me.  


I even did my office chair.  And of course this new fabric makes me so happy I went back and got even more to redo a very old antique rocker I have.  But that story is for another day.  I have now ripped that chair apart and oh my, well my friends lets just say it is really, really old, and needs a lot of work but I am up for the challenge.


This Little Boy has had several days of back talking and not being the nicest boy when he is asked to do something.  And to be honest  after a long day at work, working with very difficult children and sometimes difficult parents my patience is not the best.  So I thought he really just needed to get out of the house.  I decided that since the beaches are open with social distancing rules that I would take him very early today before the crowds.  We left my house at 8:15, ready for a 25 minute drive and well I guess I was not the only one thinking this because the roads were packed!   Even on this very cloudy day.  We were waiting in one lane traffic for close to 45 minutes just creeping up slowly in line.  Finally I pulled off and we went to this little patch of sand on the causeway and had a little beach time.   We filled buckets with sand and rocks, we chatted and walked in the rocky water.  Then we headed home to jump in the pool.  Even if it was not the beach morning I had planned we still got out and we were safely away from others.  


I am still trying to be as cautious as can be but I fear others are fed up with restrictions and are going about life as they used to.  At Joann's most people had masks on and kept a bit of space between people, but at other stores I did not find this to be the same.  People are just shopping about, no masks and no distancing.  They get so close to you, don't wait for you to pass, it is all so crazy.  We are nearing the 100,000 death mark in the US and should reach it this weekend.  It is thought to be much, much higher but that surely would not look good to publish for our government.  So I hope you are staying safe,  wearing masks when you are out, sanitizing as much as you can.  It is so  much better to continue to take this seriously my friends.  Be well.

31 comments:

Needles and Wool said...

Your boys sure got haircuts and do look a lot different! They will be good for the Summer. Buddy looks so happy at the beach and your photo of the beach makes me crave summer beach days but this summer will be different. I feel the same way about the social distancing Meredith, I feel like so many people still don't take it seriously and don't wear masks and do not leave enough distance between them and others. A park in Toronto was packed yesterday and it is so disappointing to see that we can't make the right choices so we can end this sooner. I got my mask on and going out only for quick walks and groceries. Stay safe! :)

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Love those dogs - I think they just became younger again! Glad you got out but what a drag waiting for traffic to move - 45 minutes !! Glad you did find somewhere to get off the roadway and have lots of space and time to unwind, dig, walk on the beach, get your feet wet with your Little Boy (growing up so fast) who can ride his bike for a mile !!
Hugs.

Keep on keeping safe and away from those who won't.

Joy

Teresa Kasner said...

I was happy to see the beach you were at was empty. I'm seeing TV news coverage of crowded swim parties in the Ozarks and crowded beaches and big gatherings and what occurs to me is those are selfish people who may die and kill their families while they're at it. I'm glad you got your big boys done by the groomer.. we got our little girl done too. Stay safe and well, my friend!
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

20 North Ora said...

Your dogs are precious, your chairs look wonderful and little one is getting so big. So excited about his bike. Looks like he had fun at the beach.

Karen said...

The 'boys' look great in their summer cuts and your new fabric is beautiful. So nice that you could get out for a bit, but I know what you mean about the crowds. In the past couple of weeks, our roads are just so busy. I still don't go out much, but the traffic encourages me to make it even less. Happy summer!

Delighted Hands said...

We all need a good beach time--good idea for the outing!
When we first got our adopted stray dog groomed, my son went in to pick her out and couldn't find her-he thought we had found a Benji dog and instead got a Fifi!mmWe still laugh about it!
Your 'boys' will fluff up in no time!

TheAwakenedSoul said...

I know. I feel the same way about the social distancing. I have been getting frustrated with some of the situations close to me. I wear my mask and politely ask people to step back if they get close to me. It really puts me on edge. Loved this post. The dogs and Buddy look so happy! Hope you enjoy riding your bike with Buddy. I love riding mine with Lula every day. It is a joyous time.

Gracie Saylor said...

Bear and Hank look very sweet sleeping, and they seem to me to be grinning with delight sporting their new grooming...I am grinning back as I type to you, Mere. Bravo on the new chair coverings! You have been out and about more than me thanks to your work schedule and shopping for your family. Since the beginning of restrictions in Oregon, after about seven trips for groceries, Dollar store cards, and dropping off one donation the indicator on my car gas fuel tank is finally just under the full mark. I am wearing a mask in stores but not most of the time when walking the mile condo loop by myself and I have tried to stay six feet apart for the brief conversations I have had with neighbors/friends/daughter and son-in-law. A couple across the street tested positive for the virus. The husband has recovered. The wife has been in the hospital for several weeks but is recovering. May the Lord help us make wise decisions for protection and healing. xxxxxxx

Jodiebodie said...

Wow! An entire mile! That's impressive for a boy who has only just received a new bike which needs new ways of working for his muscles. I wonder whether the backchat was a manifestation of new adjustments that LB is going through. It must be frustrating to know what you want to do and then your body doesn't read the memo. Whenever my children went through a patch of difficult behaviour, it was usually the herald of the next stage of development so 'hold on to your hat'!
Hank and Bear are so adorable - nice and fresh for the summer too.

CJ said...

A whole mile, that is absolutely brilliant, well done Little Buddy. The new chair fabric is gorgeous and you've made a beautiful job of recovering them. I shall look forward to seeing the rocker. There is a lot of back chat in this house as well, I'm sorry to say. Glad you managed a trip to the beach, and it must be lovely to have a pool to come home to as well. It's a bank holiday here as well, and wall-to-wall sunshine, so I imagine there will be some crowds out and about here later. The dogs look immaculate, I imagine Bertie will get quite a drastic clipping next time he goes to the groomers. He is out of the cone now, but it has left some matting on his ears. No appointment yet either, as the groomer is still working through her list of dogs overdue for a clip. Have a lovely day Meredith. CJ xx

linda said...

Your dogs will feel so much better for the haircut Meredith nice and cool for the summer, Little Buddy looks so happy on the beach, I have avoided my local beach for the past week or so because people have been going there in their crowds and apart from a few have not been social distancing, I dread to think what it will be like on this bank holiday Monday but I must get out and stretch my legs I think a walk in the woods may be on the cards. I love the fabric you have chosen for your chairs they look fabulous. Have a great week xx

Jo said...

Oh, I remember the first time we had Archie trimmed like that, he looked just like a puppy again. I know he feels better without all his hair, especially in the summer months, I'm sure Hank and Bear will feel the same, it's much nicer for them. There'll be no stopping Little Buddy now that he's got his bike, you'll have a job keeping up with him! Things are the same here, so many people disregarding the social distancing rules. It's a worry to go out.

Anonymous said...

those are the happiest puppies! they probably feel WONDERFUL in their new summer cuts. you can tell by the grins. LOL.
and so proud of Little Buddy and his bike. (and YOU mom! jogging along!)
our city has re-opened as well. traffic wise it's as if the virus never happened. and I'm thinking it's very unwise... but I hope I'm wrong. I'm still not going anywhere but the grocery store. and to a park... staying in the car.
but with the windows down so there's fresh air.
very impatient people! it occurs to me... what would they do in a WAR? when they couldn't have everything "their own way?"

Bridget said...

When I was at home, we had a dog who was a poodle/Airedale mix. Every summer he would get the kind of haircut that your boys have, and for at least two days he would hide, until he was convinced by us that he was still "a pretty boy" ... it makes me laugh to remember!

The chairs look lovely, what a nice fabric.

I hope you can continue to have a good weekend, and glad you had a chance to go to the beach, even if it wasn't quite the plan you started out with. I for one cannot believe the vitriol some people seem to have against wearing masks. Geez.

Araignee said...

I would love to see Pup get that same hairdo. I keep saying I am going to trim her up but it's still so cold and wet here. Love the chairs. I did mine a while back and they are so pretty I have to keep a towel on them so the cats don't ruin them.
Little Buddy on the beach is precious. It's nice you can get out. Our beaches are still closed and I'm okay with that. The tourists are acting like fools.

karen said...

I love the look of summer cut doggies! How nice that you took him out to the beach to get his wiggles out. Here in PA the gov is cautiously opening up the state county by county depending on the numbers decreasing over a period of 14 days. It is mandatory to wear a mask in a business. I am not in any hurry to go out and be people, I am patiently waiting...

kathy b said...

Meredith

The doggy brothers look great.. I took a electric shaver on the highest setting to Fezzik. Thank God his breeder can't see him. He is a choppy mess, but the matts are gone and he is cooler, I know. I will be shaving my husbands head with the very same trimmers :)

Your stories describing that boy are always so funny ....to me. Hooray for cycling !!!!! He's not quite old enough for Breaking Away, the movie, but someday.

I am stocking up for the spike that will happen in 2 weeks, now. I think it will be worse than ever. We so want to see our family and friends. OF course, we do. But we respect the power of the virus to kill. Betsy, poor Betsy lost her brother yesterday at 74 to COVID. . His nurse was crying....


I think I've told you that we have to hold off on going back to the Barn which is very difficult for me to get my head around. I loved it so. But Troy and I have our own criteria before we will go back: An R naught factor of 1, or a vaccine, or students tested for antibodies especially those from group homes.

I MISS My kiddos. BUT , they are doing well! I am close to getting a dog....but Fireman would NOT be happy and It would inhibit going to see Al when we can........

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Our Neighbour's doodle got a shave and he's soooo skinny! I can't get over the difference!

That looks like one happy little guy at the Beach! Give me some water to splash in and I'm always happy!

Ellen D. said...

You did a great job on those chairs! That fabric is really pretty. Your dogs look a lot skinnier with their haircuts - but still look happy! Glad to see Little Buddy using the loom - my kids (and granddaughters) loved playing with those when they were young. Thanks for posting!

bittenbyknittin said...

Re the dogs: as I tell my stylist when I ask for something shorter, it's only hair, it grows back. Re LB's weaving: if that is a metal frame, when he is ready to actually weave, it might help to bend the tines out a bit, to keep the loops from sliding off. I worked in the yard today, would love to have a pool or a pond to cool off in. And, YES, get ye a new bike, to keep up with LB!

Melanie said...

I love your dog's fur when it's long...I think it's so pretty! But I know they need trims, especially in the hot weather.

Amazing that LB rode his bike for a mile!

You did a great job on re-covering your chairs and I love that fabric.

Masks are still required here in stores in IL though in the local grocery store, there is no one standing by the door to make sure that rule is followed...so I've seen several customers each time I'm in there, not wearing masks. Grr.

Hope you had a good Memorial Day weekend!

Anonymous said...

Little Buddy you will get the hang of it soon. I love to make potholders. It is very rewarding.
Marilyn

Dee said...

Your chair fabric is beautiful.

I've noticed fewer and fewer people following the "rules" and the younger ones really seem quite blase ---- you die, you die seems to be their feeling about it. YIKES.

Steve and I still wear our masks and wash, wash, wash AND we limit our places out to ones that maybe aren't so busy.

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Nice dog bros. Less weight...looks good. Nice buddy likes to do some loom work. Our county and a few others opened Friday. Yes there are non social distancing people when I was out today. So I just step away from them. Less deaths than the flu, which does not get seen much. Thankfully we're good and glad you are too. Glad you had a getaway that helped u and buddy out. Have a good week!

mamasmercantile said...

I have just 'had a go' on Mickey he has asked not to be photographed lol. It is not a good look but at least the matts have gone and it will grow back quickly. Always a joy to see Little Buddy and thrilled to read about how far he can cycle, what a great achievement. Love the chairs and the chosen fabric, you have done a great job. We are shielding so not venturing anywhere, my heart goes out to all those effected by this terrible pandemic. Take care and stay safe dear friend.

stephanie said...

WHOA! Those boys look like different dogs!!! My poor little Shira would give most anything for some of that hair that got cut off....she came with some serious 'nudie' spots on her back (sweet dog/desperately needed us, etc etc)

And beach time!!! That's got to raise your spirits. Lovely!!! Stay safe!

Nance said...

Here in Ohio (aka The Great Lakes Texas), fewer and fewer people are wearing masks. It's distressing, really, because wearing a mask is a kind thing to do. It shows that you think of others and not yourself. I guess I am really not surprised. I wear mine anytime I go to any public building--the grocery or pet store, the pharmacy--and now I think of it as a Badge Of Kindness.

Despite some ups and downs with Little Boy Behaviour, it sounds like you're doing pretty well. Your chair fabric is quite pretty. And now that LB can go such a great distance on his bike, you're getting lots of exercise!

Take good care, as I know you do.

Christina said...

So glad to read the Little Buddy still loves his bike. One mile, wow that is some achievement! I might end up booking myself into a dog groomers... hairdressers remain closed for the time being. Have a lovely week x

Betsy said...

Photos of your three boys sure make me smile and I can use a smile these days. I appreciate you and your love and dedication to your familly so much Meredith. You mean a lot to me.
Blessings,
Betsy

sewing green lady said...

The dogs do look very different, I bet you were shocked. I am glad you managed a little trip at least sitting in all that traffic does not sound good. Stay safe. x

Una said...

More great doggy photos. Look at them laughing at their new haircuts. I wish we could get haircuts here. Hairdressers have been shut since March and there is no planned reopening. Vets too are shut. Our elderly cat needs her claws trimmed but the emergency vet won't see her until they are digging into her paws. Poor cat. At least I understand what is happening, sort of.