Saturday, August 21, 2021

A rough week......

 What a rough week it has been in the news.  The devastation going on all over is so overwhelming.   When I really don't know what to do to help I look for ways to contribute.  Here are a few ideas for helping with what is taking place in Afghanistan. 

Bird and Stone

Will contribute 10% of all proceeds for the Choose Kindness bracelets to the Arab-American Family Support Center.

UNICEF

UNICEF has a special area to donate to assist women and children in Afghanistan, you can locate it here at https://www.unicefusa.org/stories/unicef-ground-afghanistan-protecting-children-and-women/38877

There is also areas to help children in Yemen, Syria, and Haiti, and to contribute to vaccinations for the world.

Women For Women International 

Helps women and children all over the world.  They have a especial donation site to help women and children in Afghanistan, you can locate it here https://support.womenforwomen.org/donate/afghanistan-emergency-2x-match?src=LBUA21082A

I am sure there are many places to help these are just a start. 

 I am trying to stay away for the news a bit, it is just so overwhelming right now.  I don't stick my head in the sand, I just get a brief synopsis and try to move on with my day.  Fires and hurricanes, war devastation, hunger, and Covid, well with a week like this it can be overwhelming.  Yet I know I am safe, my sons are fine, my DIL's in training are doing well, I have no place to have even the slightest complaint.  I have my home, my safety, my boys are not off fighting a war, we have food, water, electricity and a home that is in good condition, and our health.  I am grateful and am sending all the prayers I can muster to those in need.


 This guy had a pretty good first full week of school.  There were some bumps, but his new assistant seems to be able to weather the smaller storms.  In the afternoons at home he has had a very difficult time, therefore so have I.  We went to the neurologist yesterday and hopefully a medication adjustment will make all of our lives a bit easier.  Little Buddy loves numbers and measuring.  He asked if I could find him things that measure milliliters so off to the internet I went.  After homework, and a haircut by mom this morning this little one measured for 2 hours in the pool.  He had a grand time and I got to cleanup hair all over my bathroom and get some weeding done, a win win for both of us. 

These two got face haircuts from Mom as well.  Looks like I still might need to do a bit of tweaking.  Hank's hair is growing in so well,  I am so happy we are over that big scare.

As for creating I seem to be off my game.  I have gone rogue with the Kailua crochet sweater I have been making.  I knew it was too big as I started but kept going.  I made some adjustments along the way and now I am so far off the pattern  count I have completely gone crazy.  I can barely keep up with what is going on.  Still I keep going and going.  It may be a complete disaster or by some miracle may work out, time will tell. 

Stay safe my friends, take care of yourselves and stay safe.   

 

26 comments:

Dee said...

That is quite a look of absolute concentration on Little Buddy's face. I imagine this project helped with fine motor coordination as well. A win/win on that project.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

I'm glad Buddy has some one at school that knows how help him. We did some rain this morning. The aware food bank here in town had a fire this week. Food thrown away from freezers and fridges due to no power. At least the man was caught. I'm making cookies this afternoon. I'm thankful for what I have as well. Rich compared to other countries. Have a good weekend.

Betsy said...

Hello Meredith. I know what you mean about the news. I watch very little, just enough to keep somewhat informed. My dear MIL however, watched the news ALL DAY. It's enough to drive me bonkers when I'm sitting with her several hours every day. I try to get her to watch game shows or a good mystery, but nope. It's the news from 6:00 am to 9:00 pm.
I'm glad our little guy enjoyed school for the most part. So did Piper. She loves her new teacher. She and Mandy just left. They come over most Saturday's to help Dennis mow both lawns. It's a huge job and in the 90+ heat we've had most of the summer it really helps to have someone else to share the chores with. Mandy also does their entire lawn by herself. We are so blessed to have her close by.
Take care my dear friend and take care of yourself.
Blessings,
Betsy

busybusybeejay said...

I am so pleased Little Buddy had a good week in school.

Kim in Oregon said...

I'm avoiding the news as well, although it is hard when every thing has to be viewed through a lens of 'what does this mean in regards for the pandemic?" Glad that measuring brings him joy.

Araignee said...

That photo of Buddy is priceless.
Thank you for sharing those charities. Contributing always makes me feel better when I don't know what else to do.

kathy b said...

Your son s 1ove of numbers and measuring wi11 serve him we11! How great that he is so comfortab1e with The Metric system. I sti11 strugg1e with it. My best know1edge comes from the NICU. Babies measured in grams and ki1os, fortifying mi1k in mi11i1iters, and other things in cci's.

Melanie said...

I try to avoid the news as much as possible because it's so overwhelming and negative, but now what I really need to cut down on is Facebook! I'm getting way too much anxiety over certain posts again. Time for a break.

Glad to hear Little Buddy's first week of school went pretty well. His haircut looks great!

xoxo

wendy said...

Yes stay safe to all
Loved seeing Buddy's concentration and your sweet puppers

Jo said...

It's so hard to watch the news at the moment, so much devastation. We have a lot to be thankful for when you watch the plight of others. I'm pleased that Little Buddy had a good first week and that he's settling in well. He certainly seems enthralled with his measuring.

linda said...

The news is pretty devastating right now I too am finding it hard to watch. Well done to Little Buddy he's a very smart little boy and I love his hair cut, those boys look pretty smart too you are a very good hairdresser Meredith. I can't wait to see the sweater I bet it turns out lovely. I hope you have a lovely Sunday. xx

Between Me and You said...

I'm donating to UNICEF only because it seems to be the only aid relief money that is assured to go where it's supposed to. Love the look of concentration on that gorgeous boy's face as he fills his containers. I switch off to the news too. Have a good week, Meredith.xxx

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

You are wise to catch an update to the news each day and then move on with your day. Too much ugly continues to happen in the world. Do you think that the energy needed navigating the day is part of the reason the afternoons/evenings aren't great for you and Little Buddy? I had a daughter that the teachers called angelic while in school and I thought of her as demon possessed once she crossed the door threshold! I decided she used up so much energy trying to fit in, listen, stretch herself in areas she wasn't comfortable going, putting up with teasing that home was the place to let it all out so she could do it all again the next day in school. I did love the photo of your Buddy. Two hours on one activity.. .amazing!

Nance said...

The first week is always the toughest. It's that way with teachers, too; trust me.

I am also limiting my news intake. I feel like I'm being assaulted by it lately. The media is flogging any disaster they can find, and doing it gleefully. It's overwhelming.

Good luck with the sweater. I await the finish.

Delighted Hands said...

Glad Lil Buddy had a good week-it's hard on kids mentally and physically to adjust to school again! (and parents!) Hope the sweater turns out well--

TheAwakenedSoul said...

I love Buddy's haircut. He looks like a chemist. It's great that you tap into his areas of interest. Your dogs always look so happy...like they are laughing! Yes, it has been very sad in the news this week.

Caffeine Girl said...

I seem to be obsessed with the Afganistan situation. How did we make such a mess? It's embarrassing, frankly. And discouraging. But I can't seem to stop reading about it.
I love that LB is into measuring. That is actually a very important skill. He will surprise us all someday!

Christina said...

Yes, the news cycle is depressing. Makes me feel powerless and a bit hopeless, too. Thank goodness for small pleasures. I am with Little Buddy on measuring things, I find it quite comforting. Maybe it helps him relax and focus his mind?

Lets hope for a slightly less difficult weak. Hugs xx

Jo said...

I love seeing children engrossed in something like water play. Your sweater is one of those ones you will just have to fly along with and see what happens. I do things like that all the time - sometimes it works, sometimes is doesn't.

karen said...

I've scaled back my news reading quite a while ago. I still read news but only watch the evening news. I'm glad that his first week was pretty good! You have a mini scientist on your hands!!

Lorrie said...

The news can be overwhelming. I'm not dwelling on watching/reading much of it beyond the basics. This broken world is in so much pain just now and thank you for putting up ways to help.
What a look of concentration Little Buddy has in his measuring. Hope things settle down for him at school.

Jeanie said...

I came home from the lake today after nine days of no news apart from news brief outlines in the NYT emails and checking my Covid stats for our region. I turned on the news and now all that ease of the week seems slipping away. It's very bad indeed. I need another news break.

I'm glad your son has recovered from Covid and Little Buddy's first week went pretty well. Yes, we are blessed.

Crafty in the Med said...

I can home in to what you have expressed in this post very easily because I have been feeling quite depressed with all what is occurring constantly around us. I never thought I would feel so affected by world news but I am )-: Your fur boys look gorgeous as always. Very glad that all your family are well now and you are safe. I hope none of those awful storms in NY have not blown your way. We and many others continue to wear masks here even though restrictions have been lifted about wearing them outside. Unfortunately we still have to contend with a large amount of young adults who pay no attention to the restrictions at all and hence produce new bouts of contagion. Selfish idiots! LB looks que intense doing his measuring activities. I so hope the adjustments in his medication helps. Stay safe Amanda x

Klaudia Zuberska said...

Hello!
Great post. I really like your blog, it's interesting and inspiring! I will be happy to come to read more entries :)
I wish you all the best!
Greetings from Poland!

Willow said...

The little ones grow and then their meds are off. When they get the adjustments, things usually calm down. Hope that is true for Little Buddy. New class/new year is often hard. It looks like the measuring and measuring helped. You do a good job, mom!
Have a good week.

Gracie Saylor said...

Thank you for caring and sharing even during rough weeks, Meredith. I will be interested to see how your Kailua crochet sweater turns out...so pretty so far. xx