Friday, March 8, 2024

March...........

 






Hello Everyone! Are any of you still here? 

I am checking in as of course it has been a while.  I am reading your posts as much as possible but thought I would try to take some time to check in here and give a little update.  

 I have been doing some very big girl things and I have to say I am quite proud of myself!  Not that I didn't do this type of thing before but actually taking charge of your home, your finances with no one to answer to is very empowering.  I had my beautiful Camphor tree trimmed all up.  It was a big expense but was much needed especially before hurricane season comes along.  I am a tree lover through and through and hate to see them getting a trim even if it is needed. I had three of these beautiful trees at my other home so seeing this big one in this front yard was an immediate pull for me when I was looking for a new home.  There are other home updates coming along, things that needed to be done before but had to wait until I could see what my financial situation would be before moving forward on them.

Another big girl item, new furniture for my family room. I never sat in my family room here or in my other house, I always sat at the kitchen table.  I did not like that big family room with 12 foot ceilings in my other house or the, "mandatory" furniture that had to be leather and reclining.  I am not a leather fan, too cold in the winter and hot in the summer, I know it cleans up well but still I never liked it and that is what we always had to have.  It occured to me in December that I never sat in the family room in my new house, it just never felt right to me, cold, uninviting, awkward, sort of like I had pieces of my old life that did not fit together.  So off I went to the furniture store for a sectional, but soon realized my room was long and narrow and it would not work.  So I found this beautiful sofa, loveseat and ottoman and I am in love.  It was supposed to be delivered in January but got delayed until February.  A week before the delivery I went and purchased a new mattress to be delivered on the same date.  Let me tell you everything is so lovely, comfortable and just so wonderful to look at.  The family room is warm, cozy and inviting and I just love it all. I feel like that was a big piece of the puzzle missing with my house.  I love my house so much but something still felt,"off" to me, now it feels perfect.  As you can see the boys and Luna are very happy with it as well.

I had covid in January which was a bit of a breeze and it just frustrated me that I had to take off work when I was not feeling that bad.  Now those restrictions have been lifted but I still would take time off out of respect for the families I work with.  The same family that gave me covid gave me a cold recently, which I might add was way worse and is still lingering two weeks later.  This week I got my first ear infection at the lovely age of 59 and now have a perforated eardrum!  This is a pain I would not like to experience ever again if I can help it. I can't hear at all out of my left ear and I have to say I am disoriented because my right ear is very impaired in the hearing department, but hopefully it will soon get better with lots of antibiotics and a bit of rest this weekend.  Little Buddy had a wee cold last weekend and I feel he was being a bit dramatic about it, but is all well now just in time for spring break with his dad. 

Speaking of Little Buddy, he is getting so big!  Today was jeans day at school, he never wears jeans so I had to take a photo just to remember how cute he is in them.  He has been a bit of a pistol at school and at home but I guess that is what almost 13 year olds do.  He can't be a pistol with friends, or get all that extra preteen attitude out on an athletic field or running around with friends outside so it comes out with me.  Too many changes in his life, way too close together come out as unresolved anger and frustration. Still I am not turning him in, although I have thought about renting him out, very cheaply I might add, if there are any takers interested.

The last photo is just for fun, I have no idea when he took it but there he is.

Hope you are all having a good week or weekend depending on where you are located.  I think of you all often and wish you the very best. 

26 comments:

Denise said...

What a lovely update. It sounds like things are coming together for you!
I will pay the going rate to hire Buddy out for a while! As a teacher (and as a parent if I'm honest) I always thought it would be great if you could lock teenagers in a cupboard and let them out again when they turned back into civilised human beings...just joking, of course. They seem to me to have a lot in common with toddlers: not entirely in control of themselves but also funny, intriguing, loving, and with an endlessly fascinating world view.
Good luck!

Betsy said...

You have a lovely home Meredith. The furniture is perfect for the room and looks nice and cozy. The tree is beautifully shaped too.
I'm sorry you've been sick. We've only had covid once so far, a year ago in December, but had influenza late in February. It was waaay worse than covid was for both of us. We still have coughs but are much better now.
It's good to see you put up a post. I've been thinking about you, but our life is so crazy taking care of Mom and moving her yet again, (the actual day I got sick with influenza), has kept us crazy busy. She had a brain MRI this morning and the results are already in and not so great. It's one thing to know in your heart how bad she is, another to have it confirmed medically.
Take care my dear friend.
Blessings and love,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

So lovely to hear from you Meredith, and I’m so glad you are doing well - I think of you often. Your new furniture is fabulous! Congratulations! I can’t believe LB is 13 now, they are all growing up way too fast. Sending much love xxx

Judy S. said...

Great to hear from you, Mere. It's nice to hear what you've been up to, but I'm sorry you have been ill. Hope you feel 100% real soon. It's hard to believe that LB is 13 already! You will survive teenagers, but those years can seem to drag on. Now we have teenage grandchildren, and it's kind of fun to watch our kids deal with that. Hang in there! Hugs, too.

Fiona said...

How lovely to hear from you. Your home looks very cosy, it must feel great to have it how you want it. Sorry that you’ve been unwell. I hope the ear problems don’t take too long to resolve. Little Buddy is growing up fast. I can’t quite believe he is 13 years old now! Take care Meredith.

Christina said...

How lovely to hear from you, Meredith. I am proud of you doing big girl things! Your living room does look cosy and inviting, ready for you to relax. How can Little Buddy be 13?! It is difficult to be at the receiving end of too much energy... hang on in there! Sending you love xx

mlbowden said...

So happy you are back! I've missed your pictures and comments.

busybusybeejay said...

Good to hear from you again.Barbarax

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Loved your newsy update! I've missed you! I'm glad you are making your home "you." It is your sanctuary after all! Little buddy isn't so little these days and 13 is a challenging time. May the frustrations lessons and the maturation events lengthen! Hugs to you!

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

It's good to read your blog post again. Nice house and living room furniture you have. Handsome LB. 13 years old already? Our grandson is that age as well. I hope you feel better soon. You're in my thoughts and prayers 🌷 Becky

Araignee said...

Your home look so cozy and inviting! I always love seeing photos of all your boys. Your fuzzy ones seem to be enjoying the new furniture. It looks like a great place to take a nap.
13 is a tough age for kids and parents. Thank goodness is doesn't last forever.

Janice Smith said...

So glad you popped in to let us all know how you and Little Buddy are doing. :-) Love your big girl furniture; it looks great!

TheAwakenedSoul said...

Buddy is really maturing! I love your new furniture; it looks so welcoming and comfortable. Your home is very pretty, too. It feels so good to have the trees trimmed. Hope that you are healing from the latest challenges.

Delighted Hands said...

It's always a lovely day when you can post and let us catch up with you!!! I'm sure the changes/improvements in the home had to be very satisfying! I had Covid the end of January--it threw me for a nose dive! lol I'm so sorry about the ear infection/pain! Hope you are resting and getting better! Sending a hug!

Kim in Oregon said...

My first thought on seeing the family room was that it looked so cozy! Good work! And your son is so so so big! I hope his pistol-ness is occasionally fun to have around!

Nance said...

Your home looks warm and welcoming, just like you. Thanks for this update. It's always so good to hear from you whenever you can manage to find the time. Best wishes for your speedy recovery from the lingering ear problems. Ugh. And enjoy some respite during spring break.

linda said...

Lovely to hear from you Meredith, I can't believe how big Little Buddy is now. Your home is lovely, nice and cosy. Hope you are feeling better now. xx

My Creative Life said...

Your home looks lovely Meredith, I'm glad you're taking care of yourself. Sorry you got Covid, I caught it in January too. Like yours it wasn't too bad, just tiredness. Flu was much worse. Take care, sorry I've not popped by regularly. I've blogged today and hope to keep at it now. I'm catching up with blog visiting at the moment. Take care, Cathy x

Megan said...

So glad to see you posting again,have often thought of you and "little" Buddy. And obviously those gorgeous dogs! It is Mothering Sunday (Mother's Day) here in Wales today and I was at a Service where a lot of women were given praise for their work as mothers, my own daughter gave a reading and said what a great mother I was...all true of course! You have been one of these excellent mothers to all of your own children, especially Buddy who so much needed your help which you have unselfishly given, and it is so good to see you beginning to enjoy life again. I do hope your medical issues clear up soon. As well as all that,I want that beautiful furniture...great taste!

Melanie said...

The first thing I noticed with the photo of your house was that gorgeous tree! I was wondering what kind it was. Have never seen a camphor tree. I love your new family room furniture, too. Looks so comfy and home-y! And Little Buddy...oh, my goodness, how he's grown! You might have to start calling him Big Buddy. ;-)

xoxo

Christine W said...

Your living room looks very cosy! And Little Buddy is growing fast!

Jeanie said...

I am so glad to see you back here, Mere. I've fretted about you and your absence so it's lovely to get the update. The family room look tremendous. Well done. Love that gray and all the touches. It makes a huge difference, having a room that you love.

And Little Buddy isn't so little anymore -- but very handsome. And yes, 13. Hang in there. It's a trying time but if you can last it out (and you can!) it pays off!

karen said...

I had a double ear infection in January and could NOT hear out of my left ear for nearly three weeks. It was awful. Good to hear from you!!

CJ said...

That tree is utterly gorgeous. I am a huge tree fan as well. I have just put in two teeny tiny trees (silver birches) that I hope will be tall and beautiful one day. Your living room is beautiful. I agree with you re leather, I don't like leather furniture at all. It looks very warm and welcoming in there now and the lamp is divine. The dogs made me laugh, I bet they were the first to go in and make themselves comfortable. Sorry you've been under the weather, I hope you are back to full strength soon. Little Buddy is looking very grown up these days, how time flies by. I hope you have a lovely week, CJ xxxxx

KSD said...

I've missed you! The perforated eardrum sounds miserable. Stay well.

Dee said...

Who IS that grown boy???

Your home looks lovely. Nice to have things you love.