Sunday, April 19, 2020

I think I have completely lost my mind........



Well my friends as we are all attempting to wear many hats during these days of isolation I am failing at a few of my new roles.  I am an average teacher at best, as I have said before online school is difficult with a little one with no attention span, and a Mom with few hours to get assignments done.  Still this week was better than last week.  We found out last night our schools will be closed until next school year so I had better up my game in the teacher department.  

I have become the lead cleaning person in the family although my oldest son is in charge of two rooms and bathrooms upstairs.  He does a fabulous job, my husband is in charge of cooking which helps a lot, but frankly he has always been in charge of cooking so this is not new.  I am also a barber, cutting Little Buddy's hair with good success.  But the one job I was a complete fail at was groomer. Yup, after a bath last Sunday morning I clipped Bear's leg when I was trying to get a big mat off of it.  Off to the emergency vet we went and nine hours later I picked him up.  Not because he needed that long but there were big emergencies that came in and he was not a priority.  He was on pain medication so was asleep most of the day.  I was a wreck, a total wreck all day, and so was my dear Hank.  He was so, so quiet, not a tail wag all day long and he just stayed glued to my side.  After Bear's return late Sunday evening Hank never left his side, even for even a minute. We are all good now and the boys can even play!  If Bear would just leave that spot alone we would perfect but because he can't he still has to wear his cone on occasion.

Cutting Bear was my breaking point I'll tell you.  I have been hanging in there with all the stress of still working, schooling, house cleaning and trying not to freak out at the news, but cutting Bear is what put me over the edge.  I have to keep reminding myself that it was not intentional, he did not have a major emergency, and I did not lose him, it was just an accident.  Still it weighs on my heart.



School is becoming easier especially as I have Monday and Wednesday mornings off to work with Little Buddy.  I have only about 2/3 of my caseload right now because of the virus so this extra time helps both of us not lose our minds with school.  Teachers are trying so hard bless them.  There has even been some super fun assignments this week like watching a video on how to make this shark puppet, and a report on animals and what they need to survive.  Little Buddy picked a sloth! 


And yes my friends I have completely lost my mind.  For some reason I had my weekly calendar on the wrong week the entire week and I did not notice.  I kept writing things in and even though I write the date a thousand times day for work I still did not notice.  Which led me to take Little Buddy to get his Botox shots a week early.  Bless the lovely doctor who was at his office for seeing us on Friday instead of next week.  He is the loveliest man and decided we could do the procedure between the two of us with no nurses to help.  I have to give Little Buddy some heavy medication before the procedure and he had already taken it so it was worth getting done.  It went well and actually this little boy fell asleep on the way home and slept for 3 hours.  When he woke he was in a good mood, but we are still have occasional bouts of fussing and crying, more due to the medication he had than the shots themselves, I believe.


Despite what is happening in my life, the world, the panic, the news and constant death tolls, there are still so many things to be grateful for.  Flowers are blooming, at least where I live they are.  I have a family that is safe, we have food and shelter, we are working for the most part, and trying to get along while spending more time at home.  There is sun and a pool for Little Buddy to swim in, a new bike he likes to ride, and two fur boys who are a delight to all of us.  Even one with a shaved leg with three stitches in it.  

Have a good week my friends, stay safe and well.


29 comments:

Karen said...

My heart goes out to you, Meredith, and all moms that have taken over the role of teacher, pet groomer, and have had to step up even more in managing 'the troops' at home. Our lives have changed little, except that I'm working from home and we're home all the time. God bless you.

Nance said...

What a fright you had! I'm sorry. And knowing that many share your stress is really no help. We're all doing the best we can. Take care.

Babajeza said...

I'd recommend you stop listenin to and watching the news. You'd better read a book. No need to open "this channel" when you have to stay at home. There is enough to do and to look after, to worry even. Take care! xxx Regula

CJ said...

Oh Meredith, I'm so sorry you've got so much on your plate. You are honestly a star, you're doing so well to keep all the balls in the air, including work and home-schooling. Bertie has matts in his ears from wearing a cone week after week (lump on his tail that he won't leave alone) and I have been struggling to cut them out without cutting him, so I know exactly how you feel. It's hard! I have offered the children haircuts using my extra-sharp dog grooming scissors. No takers so far, but I shan't give up. Look after yourself my friend, I hope you are finding a little time to relax today. Hugs, CJ xx

Betsy said...

What a week you've had dear Meredith. I'm sorry. Life has seemed to get so much more stressful. Who would have thought staying home could do that? I'm glad your family is healthy and well and everyone is taking part in keeping things running smoothly.
I would love to see some flowers blooming but we still have frost a lot of mornings and even snow last week. We are hoping to go out the the lake this afernoon and open up the trailer. No people there right now and we got a letter saying it's an essential business. Really? How can that be? But it will do my heart good to go sit in the trailer and look at the lake.
Take care my dear friend. You're in my prayers.
Blessings,
Betsy

mamasmercantile said...

Mickey is in a real mess, tomorrow is the day we are going to attempt to trim and groom him. My heart went out to you cutting him there but for the grace of God go I. You are doing so well, keeping a job going, teaching, cleaning the list goes on, stay strong sweet friend. Take care and stay safe.

busybusybeejay said...

What a week for you.Hope the coming one is better.

TheAwakenedSoul said...

Those things always seem to happen when we are feeling off. I'm glad that everyone is okay, and that the doctor and vet were both able to help you. Your roses look lovely.

20 North Ora said...

Poor Bear. So glad he is home and doing well. Things like that just happen and you shouldn't blame yourself. I too, don't even know what day it is. I look at the day and date on the daily newspaper to find out. LOL We are all just blessed in that we have homes and food to conquer this time. Stay well and safe.

Araignee said...

I did that once to our Maltese and I didn't even have the excuse of trying to fill all those rolls plus being in the midst of a pandemic. By the look on your happy boy's faces I am sure all is forgiven.
Stay well.

Christina said...

I am sure Bear is very forgiving. I feel for you, accidentally cutting your beloved Bear must have caused you so much pain. I am glad to hear home schooling is getting a little easier. We are back to school tomorrow but I expect I won't be allowed to even ask what they are doing, my daughter (16) hates it when I show an interest in what she works on with her little brothers. It makes me sad but I better not complain. I hope Little Buddy recovers quickly from his Botox injections. I imagine it very traumatic for him. He is as cute as a button x

Willow said...

We all have those times. Yes, we are thankful to be well and safe. We have plenty of food and we have clean water. And a roof over our heads. We're good.
May this week be less stressful for you.

Melanie said...

Bless your sweet heart, Meredith. I can only imagine how guilty you felt for what happened to Bear. You have a lot going on and sound quite overwhelmed. Maybe you can delegate some of the cleaning and LB's school work to your hubby?

kathy b said...

Oh Meredith. Ive been praying you didn't have headaches. I have to up my game! When we accidentally hurt our pets its AWFUL. Been there. AWFUL. They are babies.
Lil B is doing great. Love the shark puppet.
I want to teach LIL B!!!! Can I do Earth DaY?

Flowers look amazing there.
I watch the weather and I want no storms headed to you. I make Fireman Check.

You are ONLY A week off the real week? You are amazing.
Be good to you.
You have a lot on your plate

Teresa Kasner said...

Oh my.. so sorry you nicked Bear.. but all of us with critters have done similar things accidentally. I'm glad it wasn't bad and he'll get better fast. His brother was worried! I'm so jealous that you can grow gardenias. The fragrance is out of the world. I sore Jungle Gardenia perfume as a young woman for special occasions. I think Dayle got me a gardenia corsage for the prom, too. Hang in there, we're all in this together!! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Jo said...

There's always one thing which just tips you over the edge and for you it was poor Bear's leg. It was a small accident in the grand scheme of things so you must be kinder to yourself and see it for what it was. You're doing a great job of juggling everything.

Delighted Hands said...

Oh, I feel your pain====I the first time I cut my own cat's nails, I cut too close and the cat screamed, I screamed, blood squirted and I've never done them again!!!!
The other things will fall in place...you are doing a great job!!! (stop watching the news, the dr told me that cuz stress is not a healing mode!)

karen said...

these are trying times and I cannot imagine doing this shutdown with a child. It's just me and my husband and the two pets, makes for a quiet life that is the same almost every day, hang in there you are doing your very very best!!

Anonymous said...

you know everything's alright when he even made his SHARK look HAPPY!!!
and hurting our furry children (for that's just what they are!) is the worst.
and the thought of his brother gluing himself to you was so heartwarming.
I love their grins. you can't keep their spirits down for long!
and I think the sheer gratitude that comes through your posts is what is so wonderful. it's what makes you YOU! thank you! xoxo
and PS... what beautiful pictures!!! Little Buddy and the flowers too!

Jeannie Gray Knits said...

It seems like a lot of people hit their breaking point this past week. I'm sorry for Bear but I bet once he's out of the cone, he won't even remember the experience. Hang in there, get some rest and try to do something fun just for you.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Oh no. Poor Bear. Poor you! This is a time for slowing down. Definitely cut yourself some slack and don't try to do it all. Glad to know he will be okay. Do any of us really know what day of the week it is? I don't think so. This month is just flying by. I don't watch the news at all. Tired of all the opinions rather than facts. I think sometimes the so-called experts just tell us stuff to do to make us think we are being proactive. So many suffering right now but we still have to count all our many blessings. Take care.

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Life has changed and it will be better soon..out of house and have fun eventually!!
Sorry Bear was in need of help and glad he is good now. I liked the LB puppet! Schools here closed March in OR and now they have teachers sending homework. Some high schools are doing online classes. I know a few teens who are graduating this year. One memory they won't forget. We need to continue to love on people.
I am able to work wed eve after hours at hardware store to help restock shelves and face products. Many people coming into store this time of year. Need to clean key pad after each use, per OHSA. Next week Mon and Wed eve as well, 3 hours each. Better than what I've had in 6 weeks.
Your flowers are pretty. My roses look like they are going to bloom soon, out front!!! Take care and take time to breathe and find something to be thankful for daily. Look on the bright side! x---------x
Becky

Gracie Saylor said...

Dear Meredith, I care about how you feel about your clipping and calendar accidents as we navigate through this season and our different normal. Once when trimming my dear adopted oldest son's hair I nicked his ear with the scissors! He is now a cosmetologist and co-owner of a salon on 5th Ave. in Manhattan, NY. He and his wife had to close their businesses during this time and my grandsons are starting their fourth week of online school. 💜🙏

Lorrie said...

Oh no. Poor you, poor Bear. There is so much going on just now and I think everyone is stressed. You have so much on your plate that it's no wonder you were off a week. Glad the treatment went ahead regardless.
Beautiful flowers. Take time to smell them. Stay well.

Jo said...

Oh dear what a week (whatever week that was on your calendar!) I have cut mine and Megs fringes with dress making scissors and it wasn't too bad. I cut our pups ear once while trying to get a knot out and I did feel bad but it healed very quickly. I am a primary school teacher where I find myself in the weird position of preparing online learning for my class while trying to do online learning with my girl which has been sent by someone else! Strange times. Stay sane Meredith. Jo xxx

bittenbyknittin said...

Poor Bear and his cone of shame! At least it was not serious and at least you did not cut LB! If you had, that probably would have been his last haircut ever. This is a rough time. Be safe, be well, be good (and forgiving) to yourself!

Una said...

Yes, these are strange times. I understand about the dogs. We are 100% responsible for our pets. When the shops were empty of food at the beginning of this madness, all I was worried about was running out of our cat's favourite food. I didn't care that I had to eat meals of pilchards and peaches. Take some time out for yourself. It will do you good to rest occasionally!

Vera said...

So glad you are well and staying healthy! Little Buddy's hair looks great! I'm sure Bear knows you did not cut him intentionally. He will be fine and so will you!

Blondie's Journal said...

Oh heck. You have a lot on your hands, Mere, and I can see why you feel you are losing your mind. I think that you are actually the best teacher for little Buddy as you know him so well...you know when he's energetic and has focusing skills, and when he's tired or distracted. Perhaps better than any other teacher. We have so many teachers in our family. They all have a different protocol. I'm sad for my daughter who is newly married. She and her husband are high school teachers and there won't be any school for the rest of the year. Abby works so closely with her 'kids' as a mentor and totally dedicated teacher. Tom coaches football in addition to teaching so there will be no practice in August nor games. They bought their first home in the late fall and suddenly everything has stopped in time for them. Like most of us, we work in and out of the house on yards and gardens, projects and repairs, but I can tell you, tensions run high here in my household! We do 'drive-bys' to chat 6 feet apart and see how the grands have grown...let's take it in stride.

Buddy looks cute no matter his haircut, and poor Bear, crap happens. The collar is essential as pets want to lick wounds and they won't heal. I had a parakeet that had to wear a wee little collar for a neck wound, Try changing that!!!🙄. Talk about henpecked! Hahahaha!!!

All the best dear. Keep your wig on straight...we'll get through this.

Jane 😘