Saturday, July 18, 2020

emPower People a worthy craft project and other news....................


Today I got a notice in my email from A Good Yarn in Sarasota about a very worthy project.  It is the emPower People Bandanna.  

This is taken directly from their website:

a craftivism project aimed at uniting crafters of all mediums to engage people across communities to spark conversation, engagement and action in the political process to uphold social justice and human rights.

emPower People is committed to the following:

Embrace Humanity
Embrace Family
Embrace Community
Embrace Equality
Embrace Equity

The pattern for this bandanna is available in knit, crochet and sewing versions and is available on the website for free.  Proudly wear your bandanna to the store, out in public, mask on of course, and needless to say to VOTE!

I stopped everything and made one, I am already on number 2!  Made with Malabrigo Twist I have had in my stash for some time.  Because my yarn was thicker than suggested I did use a large hook, and a dc stitch instead of hdc, but what does that matter?  What matters is craftivism for a real purpose.  And even if you only wear yours inside while self isolating you are sending out your loving craft vibes by just making one and wearing it with pride!

You can also find the information for this pattern here on Ravelry.


In other news the yarn barf on my lap is due to my darling grand dog Luna who apparently thinks she is a cat.  She got a hold of the yarn I am using to make my In the Forest of the Night cardigan and ran around with it.  The whole ball came undone but by some miracle none of the work on the cardigan came unraveled.  I spent last night winding this all back up.  She is a pistol!  She can now jump the dog gate without even touching it so I don't even hear that she has gone over.  She is part kangaroo apparently.  She can also use her paws to open doors, We have more of a lever door handle rather than a door knob, and she has figured that out.  Now we have to keep the door going to the garage locked and the actual garage door down because if she gets out she is gone with  lightening speed, that must be the cheetah in her!


Here she is with her father Mr.23, look at those eyes, you know she is thinking about getting into something.  Hank is ever present watching over her and playing until they are both exhausted. 


I think Ms. L, Luna's mother thinks we are upset by her but really I am amused, well that is as long as she does not get out of the house.  She does a lovely camouflage with my sofas which also makes her part chameleon.  This morning, after her 20th jump over the gate, I just made sure all the doors were shut to all the rooms she could get into and let her have her way.  Maybe it won't be so fun if Grandma is not chasing her!   


Bear continues to have very hurt feeling about it all.  He runs back and forth from one sofa to another barking and carrying on but does not join in the play session with his brother and Luna.  I think this boy is a tad dramatic, but it works in his favor because he gets loads of attention for being sad. 



This beautiful Eastern Tiger Swallowtail came to visit my next door neighbors bougainvillea yesterday while I had the boys outside to do their business.  She was kind enough to stay around until I could get my phone.  She is a beauty and I was thrilled to stand there as she flitted around finally settling down long enough for me to get these two photos.  How lucky am I? 

  Stay safe my friends, wear masks and protection.  Listen to the doctors and scientists that know what they are talking about with this pandemic.  Be smart and stay safe.

Rest in peace Congressman John Lewis.  We are a better country because of your patriotism and wisdom.  Your service, persistence and  hope for our future all these years has helped to shape us as a nation and will for many years to come.  Thank you for all you have done to make us better people and a better country.

27 comments:

Tiny Toadstool Cottage said...

What a wonderful project the bandana is. Naughty Luna - I thought you'd be safe from yarn attacks with dogs! The butterfly is beautiful.

Teresa Kasner said...

Thanks for the link to the emPower People Bandanna. I will make one, too! I watched a CNN special today of the timeline of how our White House mis-handled how the virus was dealt with here in the US and I can't believe what a poor example our so-called "president:" set by not wearing a mask, holding rallies with no distancing or mask wearing and on and on it goes. Now he sent jack-booted thugs into Portland where they were grabbing innocent bystanders off the street and kidnapping them.. guess what their reason for grabbing them? They were wearing black. sigh. Sorry for the rant but I'm beyond upset.
((hugs)), Teresa :

Betsy said...

Hi Meredith, What cute photos of Luna and her parents. She definitely looks like she's thinking about the next mischief making thing she can do. I'm glad she fits in so well with the fur boys, even if there are hurt feelings on the part of one very sad boy.
I hope all continues to stay well in your household. I know Florida is a hotspot. Washington is not doing well either. I really detest this virus.
Blessings and a big hug,
Betsy

Jo said...

We used to have a cat who could open doors, he also used to sit on top of doors which were open but that's another story! Such a beautiful butterfly, I haven't seen many around here this year.

linda said...

I love the Bandanna idea Meredith and I'm going to make one too it's in my Ravelry queue. You have your work cut out with all those mutts in your home, what a relief that Luna didn't spoil your work, I bet it took you a while to unravel all the yarn though haha. What a beautiful butterfly I'm pleased it stayed long enough for you to get such a great shot. Where's Little Buddy this week? I'm missing his cheeky face I need my weekly fix! Have a great week and say safe. :) xx

Crafty in the Med said...

Oh! naughty....just look at that mass of tangles. Your Luna has rather a wicked look in her eye as if she is thinking what mischief can I do next.She is obviously a clever one....opening doors indeed. Sounds like she needs to burn energy. I have seen on TV that Cesar Milan "the dog whisper" puts dogs like that on a treadmill for the extra exercise. That's if you have a treadmill of course :-) Beautiful butterfly...glorious markings!! Thank you for your advice greatly appreciated :-) I would like to highlight a part of it where you comment "Be smart" because this needs to be emphasized, some people are just not being "smart" at all. I was shocked to see your president on TV last night say, re: face masks,......he more or less said that he couldn't see what the fuss was about!!! dear me!! By the way Face marks are compulsory here if you don't wear one there is a hefty fine. stay safe Amanda x

Araignee said...

It must be the season for tangles as I just had to undo a kitty induced one myself. I love the idea of the bandanna. I'll have to go take a look.

steph said...

we had several dogs who suffered from the adventurer's spirit...had to chase one down one of our busiest roads, throwing out pieces of pork tenderloin to get his attention. It's quite novel to now have a dog that actually listens and comes when her name is called! And who wouldn't touch a single thing in the house. Your grand dog sure is a cutie, though!!!
Love the butterfly photo...so few are visiting our yard this year.

Nance said...

I was deeply saddened to hear the news of Congressman John Lewis. He was a national treasure. Imagine being willing to risk your life for a greater good as he did, walking directly into harm's way, knowing he was facing a violent beating that could lead to his death. He never stopped advocating for the underserved. What a hero!

On another note, it sounds like you have gone to the dogs these days. ;-) The look on poor Bear's face as he observes the mayhem around him is priceless.

(And that bougainvillea...breathtaking!)

Caffeine Girl said...

Love the zoological post!
I will check out the Empower pattern. Bandana styles are very wearable and practical.
How wonderful that you have a variety of face to look at in your own house! I visited a friend Friday, and it was so lovely to talk to her mother and her college-age daughter on their porch.

Anonymous said...

omgosh! another wonderful post.
and YES. we DID lose yet one more national treasure when we lost Mister Lewis.
bless him. we must keep his work and his vision alive. it HAS to be resolved for the sake of each of us.

I don't mean to laugh at Bear's unfortunate dethronement! but that little Luna face looking at us as her dad is holding her... she's just PUPPY being a puppy! and regardless of what a pain they are... how can anyone stay mad at them for very long. and I LOVE the way Hank is photo bombing in that picture!!! and her mom holding her on the sofa is just a treasure too is she not? I love how you're taking it all in stride. kids and dogs and puppy and ...
and your cool pool beckons! LOL!
XOXOXO

CJ said...

Poor darling Bear, being all good and no trouble, watching all the naughtiness. The butterfly is absolutely amazing, a thing of beauty. Fantastic shots. Very sad to hear of the death of John Lewis. An amazing man. Well done on the bandana, it is a LOT cooler than my mask! Hope you have a good week. CJ xx

kathy b said...

You know I'll make a bandanna thanks to your letting me know about this!!
Your Tiger Butterfly is gorgeous.
My caterpillar did not make it! Despite my best efforts.

HOWEVER, I caught a tiny toad yesterday Im keeping her fed well, and hoping I can catch some fireflies tonight I want to show my friend Dee's grands how the frog blinks as it digests the firefly. Would Lil B like to see her? WE've named her Lori...Lightfoot of course.

Talked with my Democratic township office and dropped off my last homework/phone call list. ReADY TO DO MORE!

PUPS HUCK WOULD HAVE BEEN very sad and jealous of another dog ~


Karen said...

You have a busy household! Love the butterfly picture, so many pretty colors. Be well!

Jeanie said...

I was all about the dogs and then along came the swallowtail. What a four-star, fabulous photo. Truly a keeper.

Yes, John Lewis -- I think the world was a little sadder to get that news.

Delighted Hands said...

Cute pic of your granddog--she is a handful; good of you to babysit her! Yes, Bear looks very sad! lol The butterfly pic is great cuz those butterflies don't stay in one place very long!

TheAwakenedSoul said...

Luna sounds so stressful. Your sweet Labradoodle is probably upset. Your dogs seem so well trained and relaxed. Some breeds are super high energy, and need tons of exercise. Too bad about the yarn. Oh well... more practice.

MargaretP said...

Luna looks like a Staffy, in which case your problem is ....no one ever told them they are not people, look at the face! So what you have is 2 dogs and a very active toddler. You know how to deal with that.😊
Fingers crossed maturity comes soon but don't count on it. We have them in our family and they are kids in fur coats, who assume they should be treated accordingly .

Janice Smith said...

What a beautiful swallowtail photo!!!

karen said...

luna sounds like a handful! She has a lot of puppy and mischief stuffed inside of her. Frodo is now over 10 years old and he rarely gets up to mischief, even holly the cat has settled down now!

Melanie said...

What a wonderful project!

Puppies have so much energy and can be so naughty...they remind me of toddlers all over again! That's one of the reasons I don't have one. ;-)

xoxo

Dee said...

Beautiful butterfly photos. It was nice of Miss (Mr.?) butterfly to hold still for you.

handmade by amalia said...

I love the idea of using crafting for social change (as if crafting weren't wonderful enough already :-).
Amalia
xo

KSD said...

When my dog was a puppy, if he got hold of some yarn, he invariably ran back and forth and around and through table legs with it. If I hadn't been so angry, I could have appreciated it as a work of art.

mamasmercantile said...

Nice to see Luna and her antics. Glad there was no real damage to the knitting project. Masks are mandatory here in Scotland for public transport and shops for which I must admit I totally agree with. Take care and stay safe.

Jo said...

Glad to know you are all safe and sound. Life has been hectic over here too but I have enjoyed having a catch up of your news and reading back to the haircut! What a wonderful butterfly. Jo x

Una said...

Your escape artist reminds me of the surgery door at my vet's. It has so many different types of door handles on it at various heights. They are even tricky for me to open, but probably easy for a dog who is determined to escape.