Sunday, December 12, 2021

Checking in..................

 

I am checking in to tell you all you are missed.  I really miss the opportunity to visit and have a bit of a back and forth conversation in the comment section.  Life continues to baffle me and create great stress and fatigue.  This little boy brightens most of my days and gives me a real run for my money on others.  It is a good thing he is cute because that far out weighs the bad times and all the stress his many complex issues create. 



 Eighteen of these cuties were made last week and put together last Sunday.  They are for friends, teachers and therapists all of whom take great care of Little Buddy.  They are super fun to make and very easy.  I made them last year as well.  You can find the pattern for these here at Crochet Gnome Christmas Tree Ornaments by Ashley Parker.  I used Big Twist Twinkle Yarn in the color silver and a size G hook.  The 380 yards of yarn made all 18 of these hats with just a smidge to spare.  The pom poms were purchased at Joann's over the year, when I saw one this color I would pop it in my basket.




Harebell #6 is off the needles as of yesterday (sorry for the wonky photos).  After playing yarn chicken with my last Harebell made of Berroco Remix I decided to make this one an inch shorter in the body and arms, yet I failed miserably and lost the yarn chicken game.  I had to take out the ribbing in a finished sleeve, feed the yarn into the next sleeve and find a way to make it all work.  I added dark stipes of a deep purple wool I had in my stash from projects to the wrist ribbing, and added deep purple flower buttons to match, also from my stash.  Is it a major yarn deficit or a creative design element?  You choose.

Made with size 8 needles for the body, 7 for the bottom ribbing and front ribs as well as the collar, and size 6 for the wrist ribbing.  Five skeins of Berroco Remix in the color Periwinkle, all of the 1080 yards of yarn were used, if indeed there were 1,080 yards of yarn in these skeins.  Another one is getting started today, but this one will be more waist length so there is no chance of running out of yarn again. 

For years I have used up as much of my stash as I could.  Weaning myself from buying yarn unless absolutely necessary.  But now I am on a yarn replenishing project with a vengeance.  Yarn makes me feel safe, I know that might sound silly but in all the turbulence of my life right now yarn is making me feel safe, and more in control.  So here is my yarn cabinet full as can be.  There is a basket of cottons and another with a bulky velour type yarn from Lion Brand not seen in this picture and that is it, my complete yarn stash.   A stash that I just might keep adding to.  There is no rule on how much yarn anyone can have and if I calculated this right I have about 20 sweaters to make over the next several years and a few shawls and cowls, oh and one velour type crocheted throw.


And just in time for the holiday's my various Christmas Cactuses are thriving.  You know this is not my favorite time of year or my favorite holiday, yet I only have two more things to purchase and everything to wrap.  I have been pushing myself to get it done, which is not easy with my current work schedule, all of Little Buddy's many complex needs, and my current state of mind.  Still I am calling it a win that my boys and their significant others should be happy with their presents, and Little Buddy with his many surprises.

I miss you all, I really, really do.  I wish you the very best as you travel through this holiday season.

21 comments:

Kim in Oregon said...

Nice to 'see' you and I hear you on how hard this season is. I hope some little lights and moments of joy pop up when you least expect them to!

And those gnomes are adorable.

Jeanie said...

I understand what you mean. Paint makes me feel safe. In control. Makes perfect sense to me. And you deserve the time to knit and create. I'm sure it is a great stress reliever. It's good to see you posting, those absolutely adorable gnomes are wonderful and the teachers and therapists will love them. I hope you kept one for yourself! You are teacher and therapist combined!

Happy December, Mere. Much joy to you.

Betsy said...

Hello Meredith, It's so good to see your post. You are missed when you're not around but we all understand. Life is just that. Life. And it can get crazy. I think your sweater is fantastic with the buttons and purple on the sleeves. It looks very planed to me. I'm sorry that you have so much stress in your life. I do wish I could help with that in some way so I will continue to pray for you my dear friend.
Blessings and love,
Betsy

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Meredith, it's so good to read another post. Life isn't always easy. We've all been there and gotten through it. God is always with us and saying a prayer in all times helps. Your sweater looks pretty. Gnomes are nice as well. I went thru a hard time of losing a job a day after thanksgiving. But I was able find another job that will hopefully be good. Have s blessed week. Praying for you and family,Becky

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

A few hours in the studio stitching sure helps my outlook. . .the world continues to be a crazy place. We have to continue to do what brings us joy. What you see and experience every day has to be gut wrenching. Sending you hugs and love.

Araignee said...

I wish I could hit a like button under all those photos. The sweater, the yarn stash, the gnomes, the boy-so much to love here!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Love the gnomes, and little Mr. B. of course!

linda said...

Lovely to hear from you Meredith, I don't know how you manage to get so much done and to think you are nearly done with your Christmas prep is amazing. The sweater is lovely and the purple contrast just makes it more special, the gnomes are cute I have been making them too as they are so popular trouble is they are so darn cute it's hard to give them away haha. Lovely photo of little Buddy it's lovely to see that smiling little face. I hope that you and your family have a wonderful Christmas. xxx

gaia said...

Dear Meredith,
It looks like both of us are going through some rough patches in our lives at the time being but I hope everything will turn out to be okay for both of us at the end.Yarn makes me feel safe too and I adore your yarn stash; currently I am working on a ripple blanket to consume my yarn stash!
I wish you the very best.
Hugs,
Gaia.

Nance said...

Christmas is a part-time job for most women since we are the Holiday Bringers. It can often take the Joy right out of it. I understand.

It's good that you've still managed to use your considerable creativity as a positive outlet. The sweater is lovely.

Have a warm and loving Christmas. Stay safe and well.

Delighted Hands said...

Nice save on the sweater! It is a hard time of year, unfortunately.

Janice Smith said...

Lovely sweater and very handsome young man ;-)

Try to find some moments for yourself during this hectic time of year. I hope you and your family have a very Merry, Safe, Happy Christmas.

Ellen D. said...

Hope you get a chance to relax and enjoy the holidays. Those gnomes are so cute and your sweater turned out lovely! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Between Me and You said...

Thinkin' 'bout you, Mer. Stay safe and well and well done on the Xmas shopping. I'm calling it on that too and have already bought the food because I can't stand the thought of crowds in the lead up to the Big Day. Much love from me.xxx

Jo said...

HI Meredith. You look like you are winning to me. You yarn cupboard looks brilliant and indeed a safe corner of your world. The cardigan looks fantastic and you have styled it out with the buttons so what a success. Love from Jo x

Melanie said...

Good to see a post from you again. Those gnomes are adorable! One of my best friends would absolutely love that - she has a gnome obsession right now.

Your sweater is *gorgeous*. You sure are talented!

Hang in there...I'm not a big fan of Christmas either.

xoxo

karen said...

your son is a darling! I'm hoping you get to catch your breath and enjoy the season, don't worry about us, we'll be here :)

Sandy said...

Waving hi to Buddy. Did he loose a tooth? The sweater looks great, love the dark purple and I choose to say you were being very creative. Nice yarn stash. Mine looks like I'm a hoarder, lol Beautiful flowers!! Stay well and buy as much yarn as you want, you can always store some in your car if you have too, lol.

KSD said...

Holidays can be as stressful as they are happy. You take care of you and yours. We're thinking about you, and will be here when you can drop by.

Crafty in the Med said...

It is so good to hear from you Mere. You know you have hit my sore spot seeing all that gorgeous yarn piled up! I am so jealous! I just cant seem to reduce my stash at all and I yearn to go out and buy new...sigh! On top of this just look at your Christmas Cactus. How they flourish whereas there isn't even a peek of colour from my Christmas cactus at all...grr! Lovely cute gnomes and they make such a sweet gift. Your cardigan is lovely most particularly I like the colour...goes great with black or brown. I love that smile Little Buddy :-). Stay safe. Amanda x

Judy S. said...

Love seeing your gnome! I made some, too, only mine were knitted. That's a really pretty sweater! Sure wish my Christmas cactus would behave! They seem to think they are Thanksgiving cactus if they even bloom at all.