Monday, January 26, 2009

Loom


Several months ago I was at my Local Yarn Shop and saw two very lovely women working on these beautiful looms. I had never seen a loom like these. One was a large triangle loom and the other a large rectangle loom. I was fascinated. They were weaving with one continuous piece of yarn. As you can imagine, women in a yarn shop are very nice, so they let me hang out with them for a while. I watched them making these beautiful shawls, just mesmerized.

After I went home of course I looked them up on the Internet. I found them at Woodland Woolworks. After several visits to their website I copied off the information and stuck it on my husbands desk with a note, " Merry Christmas to me!" My husband never knows what to get me for Christmas so this was perfect.

After Christmas I put the loom together, read the directions and tried to make it work. I kept getting in a big yarn mess, but tried again and again. Finally last week I got the name of the woman who was instructing the other women when I was at the shop. Betsy arrived at my house on Friday morning. She is a bundle of energy at 71 years of age. She has long grey hair she wears in pig tails and I can't imagine it any other way. Her eyes are vibrant blue, they sparkle when she talks. Betsy has been using the Spriggs Adjustable Loom for six years. She has two triangle looms she works on constantly. She makes beautiful shawls and bedspreads. She helped me so quickly. Turns out I was just not pulling enough yarn to make a continuous loop. We chatted and had a great time. It turns out Betsy has been recently diagnosed with terminal leukemia. She is moving north to be with family in a month or two. I am so glad I got to know her as I feel I am a better person just having been in her presence.

I have been working on the loom throughout the weekend. You really can't tell from the picture but it is really beautiful and tons of fun. I am weaving in my bedroom which gives me a little, "me" time. A win-win all around.

For those of you who think I have Attention Deficit Disorder when it comes to projects don't worry. I am advancing on the vest, and I finished my first sock. More on those later.

1 comment:

Claudia said...

The loom looks so cool! I can't wait to see how your project comes out...I hope you had a nice time working in your bedroom - a little private time.