Wednesday, September 16, 2009


It's done!!!!! The Noro car coat is finished. I made a few adjustments to the pattern but I still think it is beautiful. I was nervous about the amount of yarn I would have to do the whole coat. Did it shrink when I had to rip it all out and I wet the hanks of yarn?
I was so nervous that I decided to knit the arms in stockinette stitch with a seed stitch border instead of a seed stitch arm. This made the arm width a bit smaller which I wasn't happy about but it still fits. Seed stitch is laborous and takes up a lot of yarn.

I decided to knit the hood in seed stitch which is what the pattern called for, but last time I made it I ran out of yarn while knitting the hood. I had to rip out the whole hood and do it again in stockinette stitch with a seed stitch border.

I used mattress stitch to sew up the seams. It makes lovely seams on the outside but creates a lot of bulk on the inside. I am still not sure I like them.
I also crocheted a boarder around the whole sweater and wrist. I like the way it finishes the sweater, you can't really tell I did it unless you look really, really close.
The sweater fits. It is softer than when I made it last year. I really like it. Now if the weather at the New York Sheep and Wool Festival will cooperate then I will be in business. It is still 89 degrees in Florida so it will be a while before I can wear it here.
Hope you like it.


Claudia said...

Beautiful. You did a bang-up job, Mer. And you will look lovely in it!

Beth said...

Absolutely beautiful!!! The colors are so amazing - reminds me of my zinnias ;-) It looks great and I'm sure even better on you. Your modifications sound like good ones.
It's getting pretty cold up north here. It will be perfect for Rhinebeck.