Friday, March 18, 2011

Finished

 I am finished!!!!!!!!  You do not know how happy that makes me.  The Japanese inspired crochet flowered shawl is done, and I might add quite beautiful.

Above is a flower before I steamed it to flatten it out.  Cotton is so fun that way, a little steam and some stretching and you have a lovely flower.
 This picture is after a bit of stretching.  You can see the green one to the left has not been touched yet, so it is for lack of a better term, kind of wonky and crinkled up.
 Since I am the only one home, and I am in my workout clothes, I decided that this chair was the best option to show off the beauty of this shawl.  My other outdoor furniture is damp because of morning condensation, so you get my old, antique kitchen chair.
Sorry this picture is tilted, it is making me a bit sea sick, but you get the idea of how beautiful these flowers are.  I know they are everywhere in blog land, but I am still pretty thrilled with the overall product.  I made this from Berroco Primo Cotton.  I had 9 different colors, I started out with 10 but didn't like the bright cream color I had, so I cut that flower out, and replaced it early on in the project.

Each flower is approximately 5 inches in diameter.  The shawl is 19 " wide, and 64 " long at the top.  It is
 84 " long at the bottom as there are several more flowers in this row.

I just kept putting the shawl around me as I went along and kind of guessed at the length.  What I forgot to remember is that once the flowers are blocked they get a lot bigger.  It is still a great length for me as I am almost 5'10", and I always think a bit longer shawl is better than one that is too short. 
I am going to start on shawl #2 soon, in shades of grey, I think it will be beautiful.  I also have yarn left over from this shawl so I am making a flower scarf to finish all that up.   I have now completed 16 projects in 2011.  After the flower scarf is complete it will be a long time before the next shawl or the knitted dress is finished. Oh, yes I forgot about that knitted summer dress, better get moving on that, also.  So many projects and so little time.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend and find time to do something you really love.


19 comments:

Unknown said...

Stunning, Heavenly, Charming, Elegant, Precious,... ok, so my list go on and on. It's a keeper for sure.

Weekend Wishes,
kate

Claudia said...

Beautiful, sister. Well done!

xo
Claudia

Lena said...

It turned out so, so pretty Meredith. I love the colors you chose.

I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Take care.

Karen said...

Just beautiful, Meredith. I'm tall too (6') and I've always loved knitted things. How nice that you can make your own and get them nice and long!

Kelly said...

Beautiful! ♥

mynestofyarnandbuttons said...

Just lovely!!! xoRobin❤

Rose Red said...

Oh it's so beautiful! What a great job you did. Just stunning. And I think one in shades of grey will be so elegant.

Sara said...

Oh I love it! And your colors are perfect. I want one! I have yet to join in on the Japanese flower craze but I must give these a try. And WOW! 16 projects in 2011. You go girl! :)

Teresa Kasner said...

Meredith.. BRAVO.. your shawl is stunning and wonderful! I do hope you take a photo of you with it on to share with us.

Hugs from Oregon, -- Teresa :-)

Anonymous said...

Meredith, it is beautiful!! If you lived closer, I would enter it in the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival garment competition! It is interesting to see the pre and post blocking flowers. Really very lovely. I know you will enjoy wearing it and you will have many admirers, which always feels good.
16 project so far this year? I am a slacker ;-)
Have a wonderful weekend!

A. Warped, knitter said...

Very beautiful- it looks like spring.

lovestitch said...

So beautiful and delightful it is! Love your flower shawl, another inspiring thing you have made!!!

Monica said...

16 projects completed in 2011??? Now THAT is what I call a busy bee! Well done, Meredith!
And thank you thank you for the sweetest of notes!;)
Monica xox

Janet said...

Very pretty flowers, shawl is gorgeous!

Toni said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The French Bear said...

Wow, this is just stunning, oh my how beautiful! I am now in love with these motifs.....I haven't even started the scarf from Claudia's pattern....I think I will crocheting for a long time!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

tina said...

Absolutely perfection! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Petunia Pill said...

Isn't this fabulous!?!? I can't decide if I like the mass of color or the shades of gray best! They both have their individual charms!

Donna said...

Dear Mereknits,
Your site makes my heart sing. I love everything including your adorable pup. Thank you for brightening my day. Congratulations on your son's graduation.
Knitting Mia