Thursday, June 22, 2017

Sunday Shawl blues.............





Ladies I had a vision for this beautiful yarn a bought a few weeks ago.  I stopped by the yarn store just before school was out, treating myself to some new yarn to get me through the summer.  Now you and I both know that is ridiculous, because frankly I can stop by at least one day a week because I am close by due to work.  Still somehow I justified it all in my head and I bought more yarn.   

My vision was using these three colors to make some sort of color block shawl.  I envisioned fan shapes or something like that and failed miserably to find a pattern that suited my aspirations for this yarn.  I researched Ravelry, I spent many hours on Pinterest and could not find the right pattern.  So I tried to make a pattern work.  Let me just saying forcing yarn to turn into a project it is not meant to be for is a big no-no.  Yarn knows what it wants to be.  Sometimes it will wait years in your stash for just the right project.  It will simmer, nudging its way to the top of the stash just when you need it.  I should have listened.  

I kept coming back to this pattern, the Sunday Shawl by Alia Bland.  Let me just say this pattern is wonderful, well worth the money as it is so descriptive.  You will never be lost in it.  It is wonderful and darn if I should have actually done what the pattern said.  I am not saying this finished shawl isn't nice, it is it just is not my vision of what I wanted this yarn to become.  But as I have said before, time is not ever wasted when playing with yarn.  I am putting this in my gift bin, to be given to someone in the future.  It was still made with love, it was still made by me, it just is not what I had envisioned and so therefore it is going in time out just for a little bit.  I can't punish a project for too long when it was me who made the error.

The particulars are Juniper Moon Farm Zooey yarn in the shades toasted coconut, carnation pink and sloop.  Approximately 200 yards of each color,  give or take a little here and there.  I used a size H hook but could have gone up a size. 

I know I will make the Sunday Shawl again because if you know me at all you know I am obsessed with making things the right way.  Well that is once it has not worked well, which would make you think I would be more careful when selecting a project and yarn.  I am also obsessed with making things several times so it is just a matter of time before this gets back on the hook.  Actually I am searching for yarn already, see my friends I am not well!

I am struggling with my Mezzaluna crescent wrap.  I am thinking my brain is not working really well these days as I can't read the pattern right.  I found some other alternatives to the written pattern in the projects pages here and here.  I seem to be able to understand these directions better.  They might help you too if you are so inclined to make this along with me.   I think I am just plain tuckered out from work, the heat, family life, etc.  

This is a special weekend for one little boy I know.  More on that later.  Hope you all are having a wonderful week. 

32 comments:

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

I think it looks delicious. I love those colors together. But I understand how it feels when something doesn't work out quite how we had hoped.
So far, a good week here. I can hardly believe the school is almost done and we are facing summer holidays. It just doesn't seem possible somehow.
All my best to you,
Andrea

casa crea d' emilia said...

Hi Meredith,
What a beautiful shawl. Really pretty. I really like the colours you chose.
Have a nice evening.

Sweet greetings,
Emily
(casacreaemilia.blogspot.nl)

Anonymous said...

The Sunday Shawl is lovely! Even if it's not exactly as you planned, it still turned out lovely.

I think you need a nice quiet weekend to decompress .........I know, I know, time is SO hard to find sometimes.

CJ said...

Sorry you're feeling worn out, I hope things improve soon and that you have a good weekend with a little relaxation, although it sounds as though it might be a busy one. I get that yarn-buying urge as well, useless to fight it. CJ xx

AgueroSandra said...

Hola muy hermoso sobre todo la bella combinación de colores!!!

Bridget said...

It's lovely - but I also know what you mean about wanting to do it "right."

Neighborhood Watch said...

Glad to see your projects and read your family stories! I have not been at my blog, or even reading blogs much, and I have missed out!! Dinosaurs always remind me of my oldest son. We went to a Colorado museum once that had a spitting dinosaur who unexpectedly spurted water at you. Of course, we had to walk by him again and again. Who knows what else was in that museum?
--

Betsy said...

That Shawl is absolutely beautiful Meredith. I'm sorry it wasn't exactly what you envisioned, but you can always make another. Trips to yarn stores are never wasted in my opinion. And there's always a good excuse to go to one! Ha ha! I hope you're having a lovely afternoon. Blessings, Betsy

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

Beautiful colours and a beautiful shawl. Hope your week is wonderful too xx

Delighted Hands said...

I get it-no matter how many of us say this is pretty, it is not your vision and it will haunt you until you get it right in your head! I often make the same project again and again in different yarns and tweaks just to see the 'what if...'! I'm with you on the brain tired...I am sleep deprived and noise polluted! lol Such is life.

Mac n' Janet said...

Pretty colors and a beautiful shawl. But I know what you mean about forcing a design.

kathy b said...

Oh I cannot wait to hear about a LIL B weekend!!!!!
I love the wrap you created. Your stitches are so filled with love Mere. Whoever is so lucky to wear it, WILL feel the power of the Meredith factor. Or the MF.
THE MF can get one through a tearful, uncertain and down time. You are a doll to create for others.

Caffeine Girl said...

Those colors are just luscious! I think that this will make a wonderful gift!

Teresa Kasner said...

Meredith, that shawl will make a welcome gift for the right person. Don't tell them it didn't turn out like you'd planned and they'll never know. :-) On your next one I think if you use different colors in the lace edge you'll get what you want. I'm nearly to the lace edge and can't wait to try out the 6 different colors I have for it. I agree, it's a fantastically written pattern. I look forward to seeing what your surprise is! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Araignee said...

Pattern searches are never fun. I have that same experience all the time. No one ever translates what is in my head. I wish I had the talent to design. I'd be so much happier with my projects but I even struggle with small modifications. My brain just doesn't work that way.

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Your shawl with lovely colors indeed and looks nice as well! Yarn shopping is fun and now I need to make something with it all!

The Well Fed Wheel said...

I think the shawl turned out lovely but I know what you mean about having a certain vision for a yarn to become. On the bright side...now you have the perfect excuse to purchase more yarn for the next one. I'm always up for a good yarn search. ;-)

Jo said...

I looks like a delicious ice-cream. I have three balls of cotton yarn in subtle colours that will be good together and i am looking for a pattern to use all three too. The yarn was bought for me by a non-crocheter so it is expensive but three balls in different colours is a hard thing to croche into anything! The Mezzaluna is beautiful - Keep going... Jo x

Jodiebodie said...

"Delicious" as Andrea said above, is a great way to describe your shawl because those colours remind me of strawberry ice cream. Maybe you can call it a(n ice cream) Sundae Shawl?
Even though it is not as you envisaged, it will delight whoever receives it.

All the best for your next attempt. xx

Jo said...

What a gorgeous shawl and the colours are perfect, I can see why you chose them to go together. Whoever you gift the shawl to will be delighted. Enjoy the weekend, whatever you're up to, you've got me intrigued now.

linda said...

It's lovely Meredith the colours are beautiful and whoever receives it will love it. I find it so hard to follow a tricky pattern at any time especially when I'm tired I find that straight forward and very easy is working best for me right now, looking forward to seeing the Mezzaluna when it's done and LBs special weekend. :) xx

Anita said...

You are so right about yarn knowing what they want to be and they buck and kick if you plan a different pattern with them. lol. As for the pattern for the wrap I had a look at the instructions and it appears that the new instructions for crochet is as strange as the new instructions for knitting patterns!! I have a bit of trouble with knitting patterns these days but thank goodness for Youtube. I'm glad you treated yourself to the new yarn, I'm probably no help to you there though....I'm pretty much an enabler!!!! lol Have a groovy weekend. xx

kristieinbc said...

The shawl looks beautiful to me, but I do know how it is when something looks okay but isn't the way you wanted it to be. Clearly the only solution is to buy more yarn. :-)

Vera said...

Right or wrong, that is one GORGEOUS shawl! The colors are just so wonderful. Can't wait to hear all about the upcoming weekend!!!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

It is so hard when you get something in your mind and then it doesn't turn out like you hoped. That said, I think its gorgeous. Those colors are so pretty. I am always amazed at your talent with yarn. Hugs!

Acorn to Oak said...

I totally get it....I do the same thing...research, research, research to try to match yarn and pattern. And, it can get so frustrating. There are so many times that I just want to crochet or knit and I can't find anything that works with yarns I have or what I'm looking for. I like what you said about how yarn sometimes has to sit in the stash until the right time. It's so true. And, then, there are yarns that never seem to percolate to the top. Your shawl turned out great and it'll make a perfect gift. I've started doing that too....putting things away for gifts. I have so many shawls and other handmade items that I really don't need more. And, sometimes I just want to make something for the fun of it.

Happy stitching and have a wonderful weekend!

Gracie Saylor said...

Thanks for sharing your shawl trial with us. I feel disappointed with projects that don't turn out the way I had envisioned they would, as well. I admire your work! I hope to figure out the pattern for the sixth to the last row of my shawl this weekend. It is not difficult, I am sure, but I have to fight panic with each new row. Even so, I love fiddling with yarn. My latest yarn purchase was done because I thought I would not have enough for a preemie blanket I started. When I got home I was astounded to see that I had three skeins left. So with the extra skein I just purchased now I think I have enough for a second preemie blanket! At least I got the last skein for half price. Yay! Hoping you and yours all have a special weekend :) xx

Joyful said...

Just dropping by to say "Hello, Meredith!". Since I am no longer blogging it is difficult for me to visit many blogs as I am on the computer less and less. At least for now and the foreseeable future.

You always amaze me with your crochet and this shawl is very beautiful in colours that I love.

I found a fan shawl pattern for you though I am not sure if this is the kind of fan pattern you were thinking of. Let me know :-) Take care dear heart.

http://www.straw.com/crystalpalaceyarns/patterns/regpatts4/yarnsN-S/psilk-FanShawl.html

Ren-in-Az said...

It's actually quite pretty. Maybe you would have been happier with a pale Blush pink instead of the white. I'm sure the shawl will give you many happy wears.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Always good to have gifts on hand. My yarn doesn't speak to me. But my unfinished projects are screaming to be finished. Ha!

Blogoratti said...

It looks really nice and very creative indeed. Greetings to you!

KirstenLN said...

A very late comment just to recommend the "Smooth Move" shawl pattern by Stephen West (knitted though). I came to think of it reading your description of how you envisioned this yarn to unfold.