Sunday, June 2, 2019

The Falling Blossom Shawl and some new yarn........



   

I have a finish my friends and can I just tell you I am in love with it?  The Falling Blossom Shawl might be one of my very favorite projects.  I just love it so much.  It was easy to make and the pattern was easy to read.  I think there was a few mistakes in the pattern but it has enough repetition in it that they were easily figured out.  I absolutely know I will make this again.  I used Malabrigo Silky Merino from my stash in the color #437 Pradera and a size I hook.  Approximately 550 yards went into this shawl, I only have a wee bit left over.  Before blocking it was just a bunch of squashed rows but after blocking the flowers just popped out.  I think I could have done a better job with the single crochet border but when this is on is anyone really going to notice that?  I don't think so.  So 550 yards of yarn left my stash but.........................


Some 900 + yards of new yarn found it's way to my house.


When I saw this ETE Cardigan on the We Are Knitter's email I received a week ago I felt like I had been slapped in the face, well in a good way.  I could not get this out of my head and frankly it has been a long time since I had purchased yarn for a new project just for fun.  I believe my last purchase was a year ago in June in New York with my sister, and in July in North Carolina with my friend Lynda.  


I believe this pattern is screaming my name.  The kit came with four or five balls of yarn, the pattern, a hook if you chose to purchase one, a needle to sew in ends and these super cute stickers.  Is there anything better than a yarn treat in the mail?   I am starting this today.  There is that pesky Longline Cardigan on my needles but nothing on my hook at this point.  Yay, me!  I get to start a new project with brand new yarn.  The pattern looks pretty straight forward and I love the chart and written directions to suit whatever works best.  The only thing I think I have to contact the company about is the description they use to get gauge.  They say to knit looser if you gauge swatch is too small or tighter if it is too big.  First off this is a crochet pattern and second that is crappy information.  If you were new to this craft you would think that is correct.  How about going up or down a needle or hook size?  That makes a lot more sense.



I will leave you with gorgeous Little Buddy who is having the time of his life with a old calculator his Dad brought home from work.  He told me he had never had such a great calculator in his whole entire life, not even years ago when he was a baby.  This boy makes me laugh.  Thank you for laughing with me especially about the dinner conversation I wrote about in my last post.

Wishing you a wonderful week my friends.  If you have a positive thought to spare please send one each to my older boys.  Mr 25 has a job interview tomorrow and Mr 22 is taking his LSAT test.  They need all the positive mojo they can get.  I understand these are minor things compared to the assault on women's rights, yet another shooting with 12 people dead, floods, tornadoes and politics that constantly feels like a flood and tornado, still they deserve a little help if they can get it and the more positive thoughts the better.  

Have a lovely week.

31 comments:

CJ said...

Good luck for Messrs 25 and 22 for tomorrow. Lovely, lovely shawl, well done you, and yes, I hear that cardigan calling your name as well. You have been on a yarn fast for too long! Love the Superman t-shirt. Reminds me of one of my favourite quotes - 'Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero.' CJ xx

busybusybeejay said...

I just love that boy of yours.What a charmer.Good luck to the other two.Sending positive vibes.x

Araignee said...

Is it okay that I'm also in love with that shawl? It's perfection.

Lorrie said...

Wishing luck for your boys tomorrow. What a pretty pattern the falling flowers is - and your yarn choice is perfect. Cute photo of Mr. Superman with his super calculator.

Dee said...

Love that boy and his enthusiasm!!! It's the SIMPLE things --- buttons apparently are his thing!

Good luck to your bigs.

I think your new project will look wonderful on you. That pattern just SCREAMS Meredith!

My Creative Life said...

Love the shawl Meredith, well done on finishing, it looks great. Sending up a prayer for the 2 Mr's tomorrow, that they succeed in what's needed, to gain what they want. All the best, Cathy x

karen said...

sending prayers to both of them! Love your shawl, it's stunning!! As always little Buddy is so happy and cute to see here on your space. And he is growing!!

TheAwakenedSoul said...

Buddy cracks me up. I love his enthusiasm. Your shawl is gorgeous. The instructions you mentioned would be a red flag to me. Sounds like a knitting group I attended once with he blind leading the blind. Some people aren't pattern oriented. It really is a language. Hope your sons do well.

Teresa Kasner said...

Gorgeous shawl, Mere! I'm tempted to try one. The new cardigan will be fun for you to work on! I'd love a closer look at the cotton. Your little guy is indeed adorable and I love how he loves vintage electronics.. what a character. I will indeed keep both of your young men in my good thoughts that they will both get ace their interview and test!
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Between Me and You said...

Oh you lucky duck having that We are Knitters Kit! I looked at their chunky yarn in my LYS the other week but it was ultra-expensive.Loving your new shawl/wrap, another great job done. I love that the wee man has such interesting hobbies!!Sending loads of luck for the big guys. Have a good week, Meredith.xxx

Between Me and You said...

ps That Trump man has just landed in our country. You wouldn't believe the security presence for him. I just hope he's paying for it all!

Jo said...

Oh, your Little Buddy does make me chuckle, a lovely way to start the day. Sending lots of positive thoughts for the two older boys and wishing them well. Your shawl is gorgeous and I love the colour you've made it in too, and I'm looking forward to seeing the new cardigan on your hook. I agree about the gauge information, that's just lazy, how hard is it to advise changing the hook size!

Lilbitbrit said...

That does look lovely. I love those kind of asymmetric triangular shawls, I think they are easy to wear. The colour is great too.What a joy little one is and lots of hard work. Still nothing worthwhile isn't hard work. Have a wonderful week.

Anonymous said...

holy cow Mere! that is the most beautiful shawl!
it doesn't LOOK that it was easy at all and the colors and the light elegance of it are wonderful. oh my!
but the word 'shawl.' for something so enchantingly airy and delicate?
NO! we must come up with a new word.
I'm picturing your two big guys sailing through with FLYING COLORS!
they will do well! and they're the FUTURE. so in the scheme of things...
very important!
and well. I am just IN LOVE with little Buddy! but then who isn't? LOL!
have a wonderful week! XOXO

Janice Smith said...

Your new shawl is lovely; love the colors!!!
I calculate that Little Buddy is really enjoying his new ‘toy.’ Best of luck and fingers crossed for your big boys.

Nance said...

Gorgeous shawl that really fits its name.

That joyous picture of LB is something else. He wears his happiness all over his face!

Fingers crossed for your sons to do well. Those are high-stakes exams. Let us know.

kathy b said...

Shawl finish! Amazing. I love the flowers! Next up on your hook, looks really pretty also.
You've got my prayers for your older boys. The power of prayer .........nothing like it.
Lil Buddy looks so happy with the calculator. He's fascinating! Little ones seems so long ago in my mind, but I do remember some phases my kids went through. (Zach had a slingshot fascination) (Al was always infatuated with the library check out stamp!) We had to play librarian. Guess whose getting her master in library health science?

Babajeza said...

Hi Hi Meredith

Of course, I have many positive thoughts to share. All fingers crossed for your boys. This calculator is super. Have a nice week. Regula

Claudia Bugh said...

Spending prayers that your sons fulfill G-d's plan in their lives and have the right doors open to them. I have to agree with you - that shawl is a stunner and if I knew how to crochet I would make it myself! BTW I am slogging away on a cardigan too - your's looks perfect for Florida's climate!

DelightedHands said...

I love Buddy's comment about the best in his whole life!!!!
The shawl is stunning--you did a great job on this one, too!
The new kit looks like fun and perfect choice for this weather where we go from 98 outside to 68 inside!!!! Have fun with it!

Betsy said...

I have been praying for your boys off and on all day today. I actually read your post last night but was unable to comment on my iPad so I had to wait until I could use the computer. I did want you to know that I'm praying for them.
Now. As for that shawl. I'm in love with it. The color is beautiful and that pattern is wonderful. I may have to make one myself. Right now I'm in the midst of crocheting burial buntings for the hospital. When I delivered a batch of hats and blankets last week they asked for some. It always depresses me to make them, but the nurses assure me that it brings the parents comfort and many keep them as a memory of their precious baby so it makes it worthwhile.
Your little guy is such a hoot! I love how he loves older things and all things electronic. He may be an engineer someday. And his sense of humor is wonderful. I would love to give him a huge hug and tell him how much all of us in blogland love him.
I hope you have an easier week Meredith and have some relaxation time.
Much love and many blessings,
Betsy

Mrs. Micawber said...

Ooh, the shawl is lovely! One of the Rav groups has been doing an along with that pattern and I've been admiring the finished versions there. The yarn you used is perfect.

And that cardigan - what an adorable pattern! The yarn looks delicious too.

Best wishes to your boys. If they take after their mom they should do brilliantly.

Little Buddy is obviously destined for greatness. :)

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Love the shawl and that sweet Little Buddy and all my positive thoughts are on their way to Mr. 22 and Mr. 25!

mamasmercantile said...

Praying for your boys too and sending positive thoughts. Love the shawl, a stunning project.

Bridget said...

I am highly amused about a baby having a calculator!

The shawl is just so lovely - it makes me think of a garden. Wear it in good health.

I'll keep good thoughts for both of your sons. And if you ever feel bad about asking for something you think is small in the face of world events, just remember what a friend told me: what you need is still important. The world is not pie, there is plenty of good to go around.

Vera said...

Such a gorgeous shawl and that cardigan just screams Meredith! I bet you have fun making it.

Little Buddy is getting so grown up! He still has the most expressive face - what a joy!!

Hoping your bigger boys did well in their endeavors.

And that dinner conversation from your prior post - I was laughing out loud! Venus indeed - ha!

Caffeine Girl said...

That shawl id gorgeous. The flower pattern really stand out. I would be in love with it, too.
I've been tempted to order a We Are Knitters kit, too. You'll have to let us know how this works out.
LB is always so adorable!

Jo said...

That is a wonderful shawl, so light and airy. The flower motif is beautiful. x

Let's Get Sewing said...

Your shawl is beautiful, I love the colour.

Gracie Saylor said...

The completed shawl is beautiful, and I think the new kit is exciting! I hope making the ETE Cardigan brings you joy. You and yours are regularly in my prayers with love. xxxxxxx

Jodiebodie said...

The more I re-visit your shawl, the more I love it. Besides the colours, I love how it is solid around your neck for cosiness but pretty and lacy around your shoulders and torso.