Friday, May 31, 2019

A much needed long weekend and some tech issues......

Last weekend was a much needed long weekend for me.  I was kept  busy with two private patients and some work paperwork I had to get done for the week ahead.  I tried so hard to post last weekend but had trouble with my photos.  Since I got my new computer there are a few things that need to be worked out.  Unfortunately my computer guy Andy can't come back to visit until mid June.  My oldest son helped me yesterday to create a temporary file for photos so at least I can get them to my blog.  Thus the late post talking about things that happened a week ago.



Mr. 25 and I found a way to mount Little Buddy's super cool elevator button sampler on the wall.  We screwed it into this wood left over from my bathroom renovation and screwed the whole thing into the wall.  He can only play with it if he stands up with no crutches.  That is hard work my friends. After he used it the first time he said, "This elevator is really fast!"  That made me laugh.


Although I worked a lot last weekend around the house and for the therapy I do we had lots of time to go in the pool.  My little fish is getting much better at using both arms and legs when swimming.  We practice walking across the pool with our body upright and stepping up on the bottom step with one foot at a time while keeping our balance.  You know me everything has to be therapeutic.





Monday morning we headed off to the splash park for some early morning fun before it got too crowded.  We got there when it opened and Little Buddy spent the next 2 1/2 hours running around and having a wonderful time.  It was great to get home before it got too hot out.  After lunch and a rest we went in the pool for another 1 1/2 hours.  Believe me Mom was tired after all the activity even if Little Buddy wasn't.

I now officially have an in between first and second grader.  I simply won't allow him to be in second grade until the first day of school.  I just can't take how fast he is growing up.  I mean look at those big boy teeth!  He made it through the year with flying colors thanks to the help he gets from his assistant Ms Rachel.  She is by far the best thing that has ever happened to him.  She fought for him to get a full time assistant again next year.  We had to have another IEP meeting to reword his goals and skill levels.  He sounded better on paper than he actually was and there is just no way he can handle school without someone standing by him all the time for safety, for speed, for directions and to maintain his focus.  I feel so blessed that I walked into that IEP meeting with people who understood his needs and fought to get them for him.

Now here is a funny conversation we had at dinner last Sunday.  All my boys were home and my oldest son's best friend.  The big boys were all talking about football and Little B was talking about elevators, which he tends to do non stop until out of the blue he asked me if I went potty out my Venus.  Believe me all conversation stopped and I asked him what he said which he repeated again.  He then stated that he is a boy and he goes potty out his winker dinker and I am a Mom and I don't have a winker dinker so do I go potty out my Venus?  Well we had a short very basic lesson on women's anatomy and that was that he went back to talking about elevator's.  My older boys could not contain themselves, they laughed and laughed.  Yes I know winker dinker is not the best name but it makes me laugh and when we got him I used it and it stuck.  My older boys were brought up with anatomically correct name use, but for this little one winker dinker works for me.

So that is your laugh for the day my friends.  Be back soon with some yarn news.

22 comments:

Araignee said...

"winker dinker"....that's just too funny. And Venus? I'd have choked to death on my dinner. Lol....

Jo said...

Ha ha, that's so funny. I think you've got a little water baby there, I bet he'd stay in that pool all day if you let him.

TheAwakenedSoul said...

I think those are beautiful names. I like them much better than the anatomical ones. His posture looks just perfect standing at the pretend elevator. I think it's so funny how he talks non stop about them...I always enjoy reading your posts.

Caffeine Girl said...

I am so glad to hear that you have a great IEP team. I know how much of a difference that makes. I hope that he always lands with good case managers and aides. I am sure the staff adores him. Being cute and funny is always a good thing for a student.

I think winker dinker is adorable. It is certainly better than some of the terms I hear at the high school!

The elevator buttons are so cute on the wall. He is just adorable showing them off.

I admire you for working with kids year round. I have 8 school days left -- not that I'm counting!

DelightedHands said...

I can't get over how grown up he looks in the last water park photo! Wow!
It is always a big deal to decide what names to use for privates so we can bear a 'misspeak' in public!!!

Gracie said...

I did laugh...out loud :-) And I admired your clever fast elevator, your handsome youngest and am glad for your good school support and the fun water activities you enjoyed. Happy Weekend! xxxxxxx

Dee said...

Oh my word ------ your little one is certainly going to give you a run for your money. LOL He's such a cutie pie!

Best wishes to your "almost" second grader. When I was a substitute, 2nd grade was my favorite.

Betsy said...

Meredith, I'm so glad that you were able to have some wonderful, funny family time last weekend.
That elevator button is so cool and just look at him standing up all by himself. I find it fascinating how fascinated he is with elevators. I wonder why?
It definitely looks like he is a water baby. I would love to have a pool in our backyard but with only about 3 months of use it's just never been practical. The fur boys look ready to join him in the water.
Wishing you some slower, less stressful days ahead.
Blessings always,
Betsy

mamasmercantile said...

That gave me a good laugh...out of the mouth of babes! It must be so reassuring for you to have a good team that supports Little Buddy's needs, long may that last.

Babajeza said...

I'm glad to hear that little Buddy gets the best support there is. The first years of school are the most important. All the best, Regula

Christina said...

I think the best thing that happened to Little Buddy is you, Meredith. Ms Rachel sounds absolutely wonderful, too. My two youngest used a similar word for their winker dinkers, they called it a dinky. They also called poo "a jobbie" which made me laugh so much, it helped to cope with these first few weeks of placement. They now use anatomically correct terms but they are now 10 and 11. Have a lovely weekend with all your boys xx

CJ said...

Oh Meredith, that's so funny, thank you for starting my day with a smile. And I love the way it was all dropped into the elevator conversation. Nice job with the buttons mounted on the wall. And good work on all the swimming and working out Little Buddy. I hope you have a lovely weekend. CJ xx

Jeannie Gray Knits said...

.... And now I'm wiping coffee off my screen.... OMG! The winker-dinker story is hilarious! And great names! Thank you! I needed that laugh. I was sitting here, all grumpy, dreading going to work this afternoon and now... Well, I'm still not thrilled to go to work but I'm no where near as grumpy after that laughter.

My Creative Life said...

They are funny kids aren't they. I remember my brother (4 yrs approx) announcing at the neighbours tea table (full of guests) that I (15 yrs older) want to kiss a frog and marry him. I was mortified.
Mind you teen 1 (8yrs) said to my uncle - I thought you were dead! Again I was mortified and he was shocked, I explained - that was a different Uncle David on my Dad's side of the family.
Enjoy all your water fun, Cathy x

Una said...

That is a lovely smiley photo of Buddy. You are very good to think of going to the park early. My daughter used to find big boisterous groups intimidating. She's an adult now and well able to stick up for herself!

Teresa Kasner said...

What a fun post today, Mere. I got such a kick out of his Venus question! I actually wish we'd all call it that instead of what it is really called. I'm so impressed with the elevator control panel you affixed to the wall, bravo, he loves it!! I wish I lived close enough to float in your pool.. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Anonymous said...

oh how I love this blog! and you and your whole family (the boys… both furry and non furry!) and especially Little Buddy!
it's simply a JOY!
thank you for sharing your life with us! wow. I ended every sentence with an exclamation point. can you tell I'm grinning from ear to ear? XO

kathy b said...

He's a thinker that one! Venus, I will never hear your name the same way again.

I needed this post ! So full of sunshine and light.

I asked Fireman to tell me about how elevators get unstuck, thinking Lil Buddy would enjoy hearing about this. IT was complicated for me. BUT, he did say that your local fire dept will have a mock up of an elevator that they learn how to take the hydraulic fluid down to slowly manually get someone out of an elevator. Maybe lil Buddy would find that interesting if he visited his local forestation?

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Lol. Kids are awesome! When I was little, a Venus was a Foo Foo. My mom has no idea where that came from, I just started calling it that one day.

Anonymous said...

Little Buddy sure loves the water. He looks so happy and contented.
Marilyn

Mrs. Micawber said...

Venus?!? Oh my gosh that was hilarious. :D

rue said...

I wanted my kids to use the correct terms and was pleased with myself for teaching them to use them. Right up to the point that my daughter aged 5 made some pronouncement about her vulture and I realised my teaching had been a failure.