Thursday, July 11, 2019

The Ete Cardigan, a finish...........


My first Ete Cardigan is done my friends.  Notice I said first, I just love it.  Do you know how you start to make something for yourself, your favorite color yarn, a pattern you are obsessed with and suddenly it morphs into a project for someone else?  Well that is exactly what happened here.


Instead of this being for me it is now for a darling young woman I have worked on for years.  She is very tall and rail thin.  She is much taller than me and I am 5' 10 ".  She is beautiful inside and out and I mean beautiful like model materiel beautiful.   She will be traveling a lot in the future and I thought this would just help her to feel loved while she is away.  


I finished this while on my trip to NC.  And then I actually got caught with nothing to work on after I finished it.  I went to the wonderful yarn store in the area, a favorite of mine, and did not get the feel for any yarn they had there.  I had my heart set on a soft pink cotton to make this sweater for myself, but they were out of it.  So I left with nothing, I mean no vacation yarn at all.  But when I got home I rectified that as We Are Knitters was having a 30% off sale and boy did I jump on it.  I mean I jumped off the cliff as far as yarn purchases.  All that cotton goodness will arrive tomorrow and I am thrilled.  I may have two Ete Cardigans in my future in different colors, plus yarn to make a baby blanket.  Another baby is due in my extended family this year.


I had a bit of a hard time making gauge with this sweater and went all the way up to a J hook to get it.  Then I realized that the back and the sides were not really wide enough, so I dc'ed along the side edges of both to create more width and to have a better seam to sew the pieces together.  I thought it would also add some stability to the structure of the piece.

I used 4 1/2 skeins of We Are Knitters, The Cotton yarn in the color light grey.  About 1,050 yards of yarn went into this sweater.  I really hope this incredible young woman likes it.  I hope to give it to her this weekend.


I also celebrated a birthday while I was away.  I am not one to make a big fuss over my birthday, I am just thankful I am a year older every single year.  My dear friend Lynda bought me a stuffed sheep, a sheep bag for knitting or crochet supplies, sheep thank ewe notes and this planter.  As soon as I got home I bought these succulents to go in it.  Cute isn't it?

Hope you are all having a good week.  I have been off early several days as most of my kids are either sick or on vacation.  It is sort of nice not to jump back into my super crazy schedule.  
See you soon.

28 comments:

TheAwakenedSoul said...

It's so pretty. You did a gorgeous job. I'm glad you found some yarn on sale.

Caffeine Girl said...

So glad you are getting a much-needed break!
That sweater is gorgeous, and I am sure that your friend will wear it often and feel wrapped in love.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That is an absolutely beautiful cardigan. I'm sure it will be treasured!

Lilbitbrit said...

It is most elegant, you did a wonderful job I'm sure she will love it.

Judy S. said...

She will love it; it's gorgeous and such a nice neutral color that will go with almost anything. Happy belated birthday! In your yarn shopping did you find the pink, I hope?

Teresa Kasner said...

*H*A*P*P*Y* * *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y*!*!*!* my dear friend!! My goodness.. your friend spoiled you good and proper! I fell in love with your sheep ring planter.. would you mind if I got one like it? I'm glad you have more time to relax after returning home. BRAVO on the sweater finish.. I know your friend will adore it. I hope you are able to get a photo of her wearing it to share with us. I'm glad you had such a nice trip and I do look forward to seeing your new yarn. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

mamasmercantile said...

A stunning cardigan, I love the pattern and the colour, I am sure it will be well received and loved.

handmade by amalia said...

So so pretty. I wish we had the sort of summer where you could wear a cardigan.
Amalia
xo

Araignee said...

How lovely!!!

Nance said...

Happy Birthday, and I hope you spent it in some special way. I am the same way you are about birthdays. A nice dinner out with my husband is celebration enough for me.

The cardigan is quite pretty and can dress up any outfit or look lovely with something casual. Perfect!

Bridget said...

Oh my gosh, SO pretty! It's just perfect.

Happy belated birthday! I love birthdays, and always figure it's better to celebrate one than the alternative. ;-)

Have a great weekend!

linda said...

Belated Happy Birthday Meredith, the cardigan is beautiful! xx

CJ said...

It's beautiful Meredith, I imagine it will look gorgeous on your tall slim friend. I gasped a bit when I read the words, 'no vacation yarn at all'. That is just plain wrong. Happy you have found a sale though, it will be lovely opening that package when it arrives. I hope you had a good birthday, the sheep planter is great, you can never have too many plants or things to put them in. I may even have just bought another plant myself... Hope you have a good weekend. CJ xx

Karen said...

Beautiful sweater! It will be lovely for your friend. I am tall (a little taller than you:) and always enjoy wearing pieces that are longer.

Happy belated birthday to you! xo

kathy b said...

Oh Meredith that cardigan is gorgeous! !!!!!!! Just gorgeous! It will be used and loved.

Sheep for the birthday!! Yes! Glad you enjoyed the day in a way you like to celebrate. Im the big birthday fuss lady here!

Vera said...

Beautiful finish! Love your little planter too - so cute!!

Betsy said...

Meredith that cardigan is stunning! I know your friend will be thrilled to have it and you are so generous to give it to her. No yarn for vacation? That's the first thing I pack. I usually come back with most of it unknit or crocheted, but I have it with me if needed. Who care if I don't have clothes? Yarn first. :-)
HaPpY belated BiRtHdAy a little late. I'm glad that your friend spoiled YOU for a change. That sheep planter is adorable and you chose perfect plants for it.
I'm glad you've been able to ease back into work. It's hard enough to return after vacation but to go at your normal speed would NOT be fun.
Happy weekend Meredith!
Blessings,
Betsy

karen said...

your friend is going to LOVE that cardigan, it's beautiful and happy happy birthday!!!

Jeannie Gray Knits said...

Happy belated birthday!! Your cardigan is gorgeous.

Pradeepa said...

The cardigan is very pretty. Happy belated birthday and happy weekend to you!

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

How lucky to be your friend! I aspire to create articles like that one day, but for now, dishcloths, and the odd scarf. Happy birthday to you!

Andrea

DelightedHands said...

Gorgeous cardigan!!!! How lovely that you will gift it to your co-worker! She will love it! The planter is great; succulents were the perfect choice!

Jo said...

Happy belated birthday. Your planter is so cute and looks great filled with succulents. The cardigan is beautiful, such a gorgeous colour too. I can see why you want to make more.

Between Me and You said...

A thing of beauty! Belated Happy Birthday to You, Meredith. Love that sheep planter and the succulents in it although I imagine that the plants won't be that small for long in your high Florida temps.xxx

Gracey is not my name.... said...

What an amazing gift!!!! I know she'll love it....

My Creative Life said...

Happy birthday Meredith. It's a beautiful outfit, I hope it's well loved. Such a soothing colour. Cx

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday. Wishing you a year of happiness and blessings.
Marilyn

Gracie Saylor said...

Belatedly...Happy Birthday! The latest sweater is really beautiful, and I am glad you enjoyed making it...and plan to make more! Joy! xx