Sunday, June 7, 2020

A different week............


Well my friends it has been quite a week.  I am confessing I am watching the news a lot.  From our own President promoting violence, and using tear gas, rubber bullets and military helicopters to clear a path for a photo op, to more violence and police intervention that is excessive and harmful, to police kneeling in solidarity with their fellow citizens for a cause they also believe in.  Riots and looting have turned into more peaceful protests with even police officers joining in to talk to people and walk along side them in solidarity.  It has been some week in the United States but also across the globe.

Much of my week has been the same, work, and more work, cleaning and giving Little Buddy what I hope to be his last Mom haircut.  By the time this grows out I hope I feel safe with him returning to the, "hair cut store," or so he likes to call it.  It isn't too bad, and I finally cut the back so it does not look like a bob anymore.  It will do for now.


I finally bought some flowers to go on this beautiful doily that my dear friend Betsy  made just because I sent her some interfacing she needed.  I'll tell you my friends anytime Betsy needs something I am going to jump on it because look what I got in return.  It is so beautiful and delicate, thank you Betsy.



There was even a finish this week.  I finished my Canyonlands Boho Top made with Universal Yarns Cotton Supreme yarn I had in my stash.  The color is Lime and I used about 660 yards of this yarn and a size H hook to make this sweater.  The color has a little more depth to it than these photos show.  I made it much, much longer than the pattern suggested.  They wanted more of a crop top, but let me tell you this 55 year old body is in no shape for a crop top if you know what I mean.  I think I like it but I am not entirely sure.  Does the yarn make it look too crafty?  Or does that even make sense?  I find many times when I make something I don't get a real feel for the finish.  Is it too green?  Too silly?  Or just fine?   My vote is still out, but regardless I am done with it and onto something new.


This giant bra like looking thingy is hopefully going to be the Palmer's Vest but right now it is just looking like a giant bra, one that would certainly never fit me.  I ordered this Remix Light yarn specifically for this project.  I actually ordered six of them, three in purple and three in gray, it has been my only Coronavirus/quarantine yarn purchase.   As each of these balls of yarn is over 400 yards that was a lot of yardage added to my stash, which if you remember I am really trying to decrease.


This little boy continues to make me laugh.  This was him after his first night in his new bed.  He told me he only liked it, 54%, but after some questioning he raised that up to 95%, but then it went back down to 84%.  He is always about numbers, there are numbers for EVERYTHING!  I was a bit irritated because that was a lot of work putting together a bed for only 54% approval, but a solid 84% I can take.


And just to make you laugh, Little Buddy's teacher dropped off an end of the year packet that had some Fun Dip in it, because it was, "Fun to have you in my class this year."  I can only imagine what that green dye is doing to my sweet boy.  But every once in a while Fun Dip is okay, right?

Hope you all have a good week.  Stay safe my friends.  Stay away from all those crazy people not wearing masks like they are in Florida, pretending that 110,000 have not died from this pandemic and just going about life like nothing has happened.  We are still being super cautious because even though the conversation has shifted and no one is talking about Coronavirus it is still very much a big issue.  Be careful and stay safe.

30 comments:

Debby said...

It’s so good to get back on here and the first thing I see is your post.
Glad to see Little Buddy doing well.
I’m really ready for our country to return to some kind of normal. Some change is good.
Stay well and safe. ❤️

Dee said...

You know, sometimes MY bed only gets a 54% rating as well. LOL But, some nights it is 100%. So ..........I guess it is doing okay. Thanks, Little Buddy, for the good laugh.

I bet scrubbing off all that green took a little while! LOL

By the way ...........that top is AWESOME and you will look beautiful in it. It is a perfect Florida color and style.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Lovely finish!
That last picture cracks me up.

TheAwakenedSoul said...

54%!!! Your blog always makes me laugh. Buddy says the funniest things. My dad was like that when he had dementia. Try not to take it personally. Your work looks gorgeous. I agree about the masks. I had an experience yesterday that made me drop volunteering. They all took their masks off and were getting really close to each other. One lady said that if you are afraid, you will get the virus. My blood was boiling...

Teresa Kasner said...

Hi Meredith! I absolutely LOVE that pullover and LOVE that color of lime green and I'd LOVE to see you model it for us! I also have a Betsy doily that she made for my baby grand piano and I cherish it. She is a very generous and giving friend. I think your haircut is perfect. Stay safe my friend. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Teresa Kasner said...

PS - I agree with you about the state of things right now. I've been upset for 3 1/2 years and then Covid and then seeing the murder of Mr. Floyd and then how dt has behaved during the protests - having them gassed and shot with rubber bullets for his photo op and then putting up a fence around the WH. It's just so awful. I can't wait.. in 6 months we are going to clean house and save our country. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

kathy b said...

Oh Lil UBddy. His mathematical thoughts are genius. Really. I am going to follow his lead with percentages this week.
My felted purse is 88% finished.
I'm 100% committed to staying in a mask when I leave my driveway

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Buddy is so funny and I like his face in bed😍! Lots of daily protests in Portland. A few in Salem. I try to stay away from where it's happening. Praying it calms down soon. We were able to go to church today. Needed to wear masks. I like your lime sweater or vest. Have a good week!

Betsy said...

That is hilarious! 54%! He is such a smart little guy. And I love those sheets. They're just perfect for a little boy in Florida.
I'm glad you like the doily. You're always doing so much for others, it was a pleasure to send you a little something.
It's so cold up here right now. The furnace and fireplace have been going all day and it's supposed to be 39F tonight!
Take care my dear friend. Keep your chin up and know that we're all praying that sense will prevail.
Blessings,
Betsy

linda said...

You have done a great job with the haircut Meredith it looks perfect to me, he looks so cute and cosy in his new bed, I'm glad the percentage went up though haha. Well done on the finish I love the top and the colour I think you should wear it and model it for us, I always hate everything I make for myself and vow not to bother again. I can't wait to see how the vest turns out. Have a great week Meredith take care and stay safe. xx

CJ said...

It's definitely at least 85% - all those good nights of sleep he'll get will make it worth the horror of putting it together! I love the boho top, it's perfect. The green dye is a bit of a shocker, but it looks like he loved it. CJ xx

Christina said...

I think my current parenting rating is hovering around 35%.... not good. But little Buddy's comment made me laugh, as did his green teeth!

These past few weeks have tempted me back to watching news. So much happening and fingers crossed, some good changes grow out of all that justified unrest.

There is a lot of complacency here too, with regards to the nasty virus. The more I learn about it (I am preparing for a Covid-19 teaching week for one of my courses) the more I am concerned about this complacency. We remain cautious, as we should be.

I hope you have a lovely week and that you have time to work on your new project! xx

Araignee said...

I admit to getting a little lax with the precautions this week in spite of the nightmare my sister and her husband are going through as they try to recover. Last night I read the diary of a women who was chronicling her journey to recovery in the Washington Post. At the end of it she took a turn for the first and then came the final somber sentence telling us she died last week from a Covid blood clot in her lung. 52 years old, a healthy hiker. I was shook. I am back to washing everything in sight and using as much protection as I can get on this old body.
Stay safe.

R's Rue said...

Little Buddy is making me smile. I'm trying unsuccessfully to not watch the news. Beautiful flowers. Have a great day.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

steph said...

I just love the %s....at the moment, my garden is only getting about a 54% for all the weeds and I must do something about that but it's too dang HOT!!! What really made me laugh....I'm reading about your lovely sweater, how you made it longer to accommodate a 55yo body (Oh how I can relate to that...although add a decade+) and then the next photo is what looks like a bikini top!!! All I could think was....that's one BRAVE woman!!! It WILL make a great vest. Thanks for the chuckle.

busybusybeejay said...

I love lime green and I love that top.I think you did a good job with Little Buddy's hair.He is so photogenic.Keep the photos coming.

Nance said...

My niece is a nursing home administrator. She has had 100 cases among her residents alone, and 20 deaths. She's simply Not Okay right now; it's affecting her terribly. She is the one to call these families and inform them that their loved one is ill, that they cannot see them, and that they have died. It's horrifying, obviously, and when she is out and about seeing people unmasked, or hears them say it's "just the flu" or a hoax, she is seething.

Great happy pictures of your son. Probably best not to ask for YOUR rating! ;-)

Delighted Hands said...

Love the doily and flowers! The pic of Buddy with the green lips is precious! Take care.

karen said...

beautiful sweater that you created! I am amazed at all that you get done while working and being a full time mother, you are on fire!! Buddy is a delight and his is the sweetest boy to watch grow up, thank you for sharing him with us.

Between Me and You said...

Quite a week is an understatement, Meredith and with the shennanigans going on over here at the weekend, it looks like it will be even longer before I can see my grandchildren again, one of whom is now 3 months old and who I haven't even 'met' yet.I truly despair of this new world order.xx

Vera said...

Little Buddy is such a HAM!!! And he still has the best eyelashes EVER!!!

Your latest top is beautiful - should be perfect for FL weather.

Jo said...

Oh, Little Buddy does make me laugh, but he knows to the exact percentage what's what, that boy knows his mind! I do love the sunflowers, one of my favourite flowers, and the beautiful doily that you were gifted.

Babajeza said...

84% is more than 75%, which would be good. When I go to bed, it's 100%, but I figure for a little boy it's different. Being in bed seems to be a waste of time at this age.

I like your green vest. I'm thinking about buying a supersoft and beautiful sweater in the same green (the shop assistant was so lovely when I was there buying jeans with and for my mother). :-)

Scary times, it could go either way ...

All the best

Regula

Karen said...

I have been trying to stay away from the news, but everyone is talking about the mayhem (as we should) and there seems to be no getting away from it. November can't come soon enough.

LB has the most beautiful eyes. And those brows!

Carol said...

Hi Meredith. I don't think I've ever commented on your blog, but I've followed you for years. Your sister Claudia was the first blog I ever followed. And that's where i heard about you. I just want to say I love and appreciate everything about you and your family,and your dogs. I admire you, all that you do every day, your artistic ability, how you can keep working and doing all you do for your family even though you have those terrible headaches. And I love that sweetest of little boys. Just thought I'd let you know. And I think every one of your creations is lovely. Every one. Thank you for being you. Your stories make me very, very happy.

Willow said...

Oh fun! A new bed!
I love his love of numbers! Only the best boys think in percentages!

Gracie Saylor said...

Your giant bra made me LOL but I think I can envision it becoming a vest...meanwhile I continue to appreciate your productivity and caring!❤️

Jo said...

Some very smiley pics of Little Buddy, that is a pretty good haircut Meredith you should give yourself 100% I reckon! hahahaha. Jo xxx

Lee said...

Hi,Just catching up on your blog.Loving all the fab pics.Lil buddy as gorgeous as ever,and those beautiful pups too.Love that top what a lovely pattern and colour that is.We have been having the similar demonstrations and protests fights and criminal damage to statues etc.But oh,my heart goes out to that poor mans family.Hugs and stay safe.xxx

handmade by amalia said...

Love the green smile. We could all use some Fun Dip just now.
Amalia
xo