Friday, June 12, 2020

The long tale or tail of rat's nest chair...............


Years ago I found this rocking chair at the Whistle Stop Antique Mall, in Franklin, NC.  I fell in love with it and so I bought it.  My friend Lynda brought it down months later in her truck and we were just so excited to see it at my house.  We sat in it and rocked, but every time we did there was bits of grass and straw on the floor under the chair. Finally we tipped it over and took a peek in the bottom of the chair to find what we believe was a rat or mouse nest from years ago.  There were bones........... I will just leave it at that.  There was also some broken webbing, so I sent rat's nest chair to someone who repairs antiques and thought we were good to go.  

Fast forward to the present.  I rarely sat in rat's nest chair because the bottom seemed to be missing springs or stuffing on one side, so much for that repair person fixing the chair.  It would tilt off the platform if you rocked to much, still I sort of loved it for the beautiful chair that it was.  When I recovered all my kitchen chairs I decided to take on rat's nest chair, good or bad I would see it through to the end.



Let me just say that rat's nest chair was even more disgusting than I thought it would be.  It was covered in some weird bordello fabric on top and some crazy avocado green/orange fabric from the 70's on the bottom.  And yes my friends it was stuffed with horse hair, a sign of a very quality piece of furniture from the late 1800's.  There was burlap wrapped horse hair bundles in the bottom of the chair and loose horse hair on the top and bottom of the chair.  The stuffing must have been cotton and it was very, very old.  


Upon further inspection I found that it had springs but only one of the springs was actually tied to the chair, the rest were broken and just hanging there among all the horse hair.  I swear I needed a hazmat suit to take this apart.  I did wear a mask and gloves and showered for what seems like hours once I got it taken down to the bare bones. 


Poor rat's nest chair was just covered with nails and upholstery tacks.  It took me three hours to remove them all.  I saved some of them and left them in the chair because I thought the whole thing would fall apart if I took them all out.  Then I did a whole lot of studying up on how to refinish the chair.  I believe this is an Eastlake platform rocking chair. It was probably made in the later 1800's.  And to keep the integrity of the chair you must keep the horse hair and springs.   So I kept all of that in a big garbage bag and just let the chair breath for a week or so.

 

After a week of letting rat's nest chair rest I decided to get busy with the redo.  I also decided that no matter how wonderful the chair was stuffed with 140 year old horse hair and maybe remnants of a rat's nest and very rusty springs that I just could not put all of that back into the chair.  So I got busy redoing the chair the way I felt was cleaner and safer for all of us.  I worked webbing onto the bottom of the chair with a thick layer of batting on top of that.  I covered the bottom with a cream utility fabric and stapled it in place.  I also put webbing on the top layer of the chair, but did not take photos of it.


I placed a dense piece of foam on the webbing and surrounded it with lots and lots of stuffing.  I kept it all in place with more utility fabric.


The back of the chair was a problem because it did not have a piece of wood that went in the space for stability, and any wood where the fabric had been attached was just coming apart because of all the nails that had been used in it over the years.  I found the perfect solution with this super dense cardboard that came with Little Buddy's bed form IKEA.  It worked perfectly.  My husband drilled it into the actual wood of the chair and I put dense tape on it just to make it a wee bit more stable.


Here it is from the front, you can see the disintegrating wood where all the fabric had been attached.


I put a thin layer of foam on the inside of the back of the chair and then filled it with lots and lots of stuffing, then used more fabric to keep it in place.


The one mistake I made, probably among many, is that I should have done the top of the chair completely before I took on the bottom.  It was very, very hard to get the fabric nailed in place at the bottom of the top of the chair because the bottom cushion did not leave me much room.  Still I did the best I could and hopefully it will hold.


The bottom cushion was a breeze to put into place.  I used upholstery tacks and staples to get this fabric in a  hopefully permanent position.  I added the decorative edge with a glue gun and nailed in the decorative nails just to add more stability.


I had to be creative with the back of the chair because I ran out of my beautiful fabric and after 10,000 trips to Joann's for this chair I was not going back for more.  I used more of the utility fabric from the bottom to hold in all the fluff, and a bit of the nice fabric.  It doesn't look bad and frankly not many people will even see the back of the chair.


I asked Little Buddy to give it a test drive, he said he liked it.  It is a small rocker, one built for a woman I believe because generally women were a bit shorter in those days, not my 5 foot 10 inch height.  And I did stuff it very full thinking the stuffing would sort of condense the more it was sat on.  So rat's nest chair is reborn into something I can use and I think it looks rather nice.  I know all of you antique lovers are cringing that I did not keep the horse hair and rusty springs, but frankly after spending a lot of time cleaning it out of the chair I just could not fathom putting all that dusty and disgusting stuff back in.  This project took me three full weekends, remind me never to recover another chair!  Hope you like it.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful chair, great job! It's interesting to see the insides and the process of re-covering it.
-Polly

Betsy said...

Is there nothing you can't do Meredith? That is a wonderful job on the chair and I don't blame you one little bit for not putting the nasty stuff back in. Yuck! I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
Blessings,
Betsy

Araignee said...

What a transformation!!! Well done YOU!!!

linda said...

Meredith you need a medal for figuring out how to do that, I wouldn't have a clue or the patience to be quite honest, I'm so glad you got rid of all the disgusting stuff that was inside (you did make me laugh! omg bones UGH haha) You have done a fantastic job and Little Buddy looks quite comfortable and content sitting there. Have a great weekend. xx

Wanderingcatstudio said...

What a project! That chair definitely had some beautiful bones and you've given it new life! Well done!

bittenbyknittin said...

A labor of love! I agree with your decision to get rid of the yuck - there is a reason we don't use horsehair anymore and now no one will feel creepy sitting in it. It may not be a perfect antique but it is definitely a family heirloom. (You might want to print out this blog post and attach it to the bottom, for historical purposes.)

CJ said...

It's absolutely lovely, and I think you were totally right not to put all the old stuff back in. It looks both comfortable and beautiful now, and very nicely modelled if I may say so. Have a lovely weekend Meredith. CJ xx

Neighborhood Watch said...

That is just fabulous! I see why you loved this chair right away. And now, it is usable--hooray!

Gracie Saylor said...

A good story well told, Meredith!:-) I have participated in some chair recovering...minus the rat bone and horsehair discovery and I think you and your husband were very clever to successfully meet the challenges your chair gave you! Enjoy rocking this weekend and in the days ahead. xx

kathy b said...

Oh you are so good with refinishing. You are very skilled Meredith. I would have burnt that thing in an instant. Yet, your great patience now is a great result and lil Buddy gets to rock in it!!!! I love paisley fabric. Great choice!!!
I used to love antique furniture, but not so much anymore. I always wanted a sleigh bed and would still find a spot for it if I came across one here in the country!!!!

Dee said...

I am right there with you ............that stuff HAD.TO.GO! The chair looks lovely now AND you won't worry about what is inside.

Love Little Buddy's elevator shirt. Too cute.

Delighted Hands said...

Yay! I love the satisfaction of a good re-upholstery project!
Very sweet chair!

TheAwakenedSoul said...

Oh, no, I am very impressed with all that work that you two did. I have a small antique rocker that needs to be repaired, too. It's just a leather strap that needs replacing. Maybe I should just use it for decoration...Yours looks great. Bravo.

Lorrie said...

What a project! The chair looks great, and is SO much more hygienic now. Beautiful fabric.

Karen said...

What a labor of love! I wouldn't have kept the horse hair or the rat's nest either. I love your choice of fabric. Happy rocking!

Jo said...

What a great job you've made of it, and a great story to go along with it.

Between Me and You said...

Greetings from abroad! Not sure whether you can get a BBC programme called 'The Repair Shop' but I think you'd like it because it rejuvenates tired old pieces and gives them a new lease of life. You've certainly done such a great job on the chair that it will last for another 100 years!!Suits the little man to perfection, though he's not staying little for long. Such a change in him. xxx

Ellen D. said...

I love all of the different fabrics you discovered when you took it apart. It makes me wonder about the history of all the people who have owned your chair and their different design styles over the years! You did a really good job of making it a stable, usable chair and I think the fabric is very pretty. I agree that you should keep this blog post and pictures with the chair so the story will stay with the chair. Great work! Thanks for sharing.

Melanie said...

You are so incredibly talented! I would have no idea in the world how to even start a project like that. And I don't blame you one bit for throwing out that horse hair and springs - that was probably a health hazard! The chair looks fantastic now. Great job!

Claudia said...

I'm so impressed with your beautiful chair!!! You did a way better job and now you know exactly what you are sitting on. The fabric was also the perfect choice. But I'm afraid Buddy looks very comfortable and I'm not sure you are going to get it back!

mamasmercantile said...

What a great job you have done, a woman of so many talents. A joy to see Little Buddy enjoying all your hard work.

sewing green lady said...

It looks fantastic, what an amazing job. I wouldn't have put the stuff back in either it sounds horrible, plus we found out some years ago I am very allergic to horsehair after I spent an evening repairing horse coats/blankets. Xrays, inhalers and a three month chest infection and I won't be doing those again! I don't think the back matters anyway depending on where you have it and I know that feeling of having had enough of a project. take care. x

Nance said...

I'd have been pretty much done at Rat's Nest. Good job!

Eileen said...

WOW, you did a great job! I too love antiques and occasionally have bought some pieces that I did wear a hazmat suite, always worth the trouble with a restored beauty. Enjoy your chair, she's a beauty!

karen said...

what a fantastic redo! I have redone cushions on my old dining set and it is labor intensive. I love the fabric you choose and of course you perfect model sitting there looking handsome as ever.

stephanie young said...

what a story! When it started I thought it was going to turn out like that Big Bang Theory chair that Penny rescued from the curb...that actually had a rat living in it!!! Phew. You were really brave to tackle the project, but you got GREAT results!!! Good job!

I have a somewhat similar chair from my Grandmother, and you have it dated pretty well, It's smaller, although with no arms, and she used it while nursing all her children. My dad was born in 1909, the youngest (by far) of 4 children so mid to late 1800s is right on. Mine has a cane backing, but that 'lovely' stiff horsehair seat...you did well replacing it!!!

Lee said...

Hi ,I have been catching up with you blog.Such interesting posts and I love all the photos of lil Buddy and those crazy but absolutely adorable doggies.You are such a busy lady.Take care and stay safe.Hugs xx

Needles and Wool said...

The chair looks great now Meredith and it looks like you worked very hard on it. Buddy looks pretty comfortable too!

Mrs. Micawber said...

That chair had lovely bones and now you have given it beautiful new clothes! I don't see any advantage to keeping the ancient horsehair and broken springs - what you did is so much more practical.

All those nail and staple holes remind me of the old doors and windowframes in our place. The house is over a hundred years old and I swear every resident must have nailed several different things to the kitchen door alone. I tried to count the nail holes in it once and had to give up when I passed a hundred and was still not done. Luckily it's sturdy old oak and can take it.

Glad you are hanging in there and keeping busy with projects! LB is adorable as always.

Teresa Kasner said...

Bravo on the restoration and rescue of that great carved rocking chair! As you know I adore antique wood furniture and have a house full of it. It was fascinating to have you de-construct it and see what was inside. I agree with you to toss out the horsehair and rusty springs. Your little man looks just right in the chair.. kind of like Goldilocks in the 3 bears house! Love to you!! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

20 North Ora said...

Great job!!

R's Rue said...

Beautiful