Saturday, December 19, 2020

Yarn Adventures

 



Way back in November I can across this pattern on Ravelry and knew I had to make it.  How cute is this Gnome?  



In true Meredith fashion I became obsessed.  I mean I could not stop making these.  They are super fast and portable, which works well for me to have in my car if a patient cancels.  I literally bought out these pom poms at three different Joann's Fabric's and Crafts near me.  Well, two of them are not even close to me, but one is close to one of my patients and the other is close to where my dear friend Lynda moved from North Carolina to Port Richey, Florida.  I hope no one in this area wants this color pom pom because they are not going to find any!

They are so fast and easy to make and I only burned myself once with the hot glue gun while putting them together which is a record for me.  I have made them for family and friends, Little Buddy's teachers and therapists.  I am actually kind of embarrassed to tell you the total count.  I just love them so much.  It seems like each little gnome has his own personality.  They are so adorable.


After buying all the darkish gray beard pom poms I actually went back to the store last weekend to give some colored pom poms a try.  I think they are super cute.  The red hats are made with Lion Brand Yarn Basic Stitch in Red Garnet.  The green hats are made with Lion Brand Yarn Basic Stitch Yarn in the color Grass.  The multicolored hats are from Lion Brand Yarn Landscapes in the color Fusion.  The last batch of hats were made from little balls of stash yarn I had left over from projects.  All hats were made with a size G hook.  You can find the pattern here at Gnome Christmas Tree Ornament by Ashley Parker.  I used about 600 yards of yarn for this project so you can imagine how many I made.  I saved a few for myself that I just might keep up all year long.  The noses are wooden beads sewn on before stuffing and gluing the hat on.  See, super simple.



Another finish is Provence by Alison Green.  This is fresh off the hook as of today, but I started it way back in August.  Once I was about half way done I stopped working on it because I got the bright idea to make blankets for my older kids and their significant others for Christmas.  Once I was done with those, and the millions of gnomes I made I absolutely made myself finish this sweater.  Made with We Are Knitters Pima cotton in the color Blush and a size F hook.  The motifs in the middle of the front and back are made first, joined together as you go along and then the sides are made and sewn together with the front and back motifs. It is really a brilliant pattern, and it was easy to follow.  I am not one for  written directions but these were very easy to follow.  At total of 750 yards were used for this project from this yarn I had in my stash. Does it fit?  Really, who knows.  It is chilly here today, I know you think I am joking living in Florida but I have a fleece on and I am not taking it off to try this on.  Funny, if it fits that is a bonus, if it doesn't I really am okay with that.  I can donate it and just enjoy that I made something really nice with an incredible pattern. I did not make the bottom hem edge, I felt this was long enough.  So it might not look finished, but again I am okay with that, too.  Also so sorry for not having a photo of the front, for some reason it did not download and I am too tired to lug Caroline my dress form outside for another photo shoot. 


Next up a blanket for Little Buddy.  This yarn from Webs was on super sale and it is cotton, just what I was looking for.  It arrived this week and I held myself back from jumping right in with a new project.  I had to finish that sweater first.  It was hard to find the right color for Little Buddy's bed.  It is bright and cheerful, I wanted a green but not neon green that would make me want to scratch my eyes out while working on it.  This granny smith color works well.  Wish me luck, another blanket to get done but this one with no time constraints. 

Sorry no Little Buddy photos, I promise you one for Christmas.  Stay safe my friends and have a good week.  I have lots of wrapping to do and I am working the first three days of the week so I had better get going.  Please do not allow me to grab a crochet hook and start on this new blanket.


34 comments:

Dee said...

Those gnomes are oh-so-cute! Looks like gnomes have taken over the internet this year. So many people are making them in many different crafts. Yours are so fuzzy and adorable.

Jeanie said...

`Oh my, you dazzle me! I adore the gnomes more than I can say. They're the cutest things ever and everyone on your gift list is going to be wild about them. I love gnomes -- I went a little batty needlefelting gnomes this summer and now they're gone and I didn't keep one! Ah well, I can make another but I miss my guys! So I'm glad you kept a few.

Gorgeous vest, too. And now a blanket? You are moving big time! Well done!

We're in baking mode at the Christmas house, with halls decked and music playing constantly. It may be a different Christmas but it will be a pretty and delicious one, even if it's just us two.

busybusybeejay said...

It is great to get new yarn and I know the feeling of itching to get going on a new project.As we are hoping to move house,during lockdown,I am going to try and use up my stash.Use up my sock yarn.Crochet granny squares with lots of odd balls.Mindless projects while watching Xmas tv.
Have a great Xmas.
Love to you all and give Little Buddy a hug from me
Barbarax

Crafty in the Med said...

I miss seeing Little Buddy today! Never mind I forgive you because I have fallen in love with all your Gnomes and with your top too. I am going over to look at the Gnome pattern link and see if i can get one done for a nice extra pressie for my Grand-daughter. She would love one hanging from her college backpack. You've been on a super crochet therapy spree haven't you Mere? I hope you found it relaxing!! Thanks so much for this inspiration. Keep well Amanda x

Kim in Oregon said...

OK i love these! I cannot imagine, though, what type of pompom you used for the beard. Is it like a hair pompom?

Karen said...

Oh, the gnomes are so adorable. Of course, you need to keep a posse of them for yourself. Merry Christmas!

Delighted Hands said...

Now I know why I couldn't find any of the furry pom poms at the store! lol Very, very cute! You did go crazy but good for you!
The vest is gorgeous, too!

Needles and Wool said...

These gnomes are so adorable! They look like fun to make too. I love the top you made as well it is so pretty!

Teresa Kasner said...

I love how many gnomes you made! We have a couple of those that look an awful lot like those enjoying Christmas at our house! :-) I love that sweater - I hope you model it for us. I wish I had your lovely shape! That green for little man's blanket is so pretty and shiny.. and the exact color of Dayle's 1968 GTO he got right after he got out of the hospital after being shot in Vietnam. We loved that car.

((hugs)), Teresa :-)

❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
*M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

Betsy said...

You KNOW I adore the gnomes. I'm so glad you kept some for yourself after all of that work. The vest is also lovely and I'm proud of you for finishing it and not moving on to the new yarn and blanket. All crocheters and knitters understand how hard that is. We want to do ALL of the things as soon as possible.
Bad news for our youngest son and his fiance in London. They won't be able to spend the day with her parents and sister because of the new lockdown restrictions today. I hope the vaccine is effective against the new strain of the virus that is circulating there and in Italy. It's like a horror show that doesn't stop isn't it?
But...Christmas is coming and it's a time of celebration. Your little guy is going to have so much fun and he will brighten up everything in your house. Hugs and kisses to him and your fur babies too.
Blessings,
Betsy

Rajani Rehana said...

Fabulous blog

mamasmercantile said...

I just love those gnomes, I am going to try and find some of those adorable pom poms, they would make great gift toppers/stocking stuffers for the family. Love the top too and the gorgeous colour of yarn ready for Little Buddy's blanket. Take care, stay safe and have a wonderful Christmas.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

The gnomes are so cute. I don't think I've seen pompoms like that around here. I love when something is quick and easy and that motivates you to make as many as you possibly can. The sleeveless sweater is nice. It gets in the 50s here at night and I am freezing so I know the kind of cold you are talking about. I am not a fan of cold. Most people will laugh, as my husband does, but I wear two long-sleeved pajama shirts, thick socks and have a sheet, bedspread, quilt and three throw blankets on top of me just to go to sleep. :) I must say, I slept pretty good last nite. It's nice to be warm and comfy. Take care. Happy holidays.

handmade by amalia said...

These gnomes are almost too cute. Happy holidays!
Amalia
xo

CJ said...

The gnomes are brilliant, I would make loads as well if it was me. Love the green yarn as well, green is a lovely colour for boys, I have painted a couple of the boys' rooms a very pale greyish-green and it's perfect. Not too cold and a bit naturey. Chilly here in SW England as well! Definitely not taking my jumper off today. Off on the bird survey in a minute. Hopefully there will be plenty to see today. Last time we were in lockdown and the eldest was very disappointed to have so many people walking about the countryside - I think they are normally all shopping or something. Hope you have a lovely Sunday. CJ xx

linda said...

Haha those gnomes are fabulous thank you for the link Meredith I will have to remember them for next year. I love the sweater and I hope that it does fit you after all the hard work you put in making it. That green is a perfect colour for a blanket for LB I can't wait to see it develop. Have a peaceful Sunday.xx

Nance said...

Love those gnomes. I'd have made dozens as well. I don't crochet; holding the yarn like that aggravates my arthritis terribly. A knit pattern would set me up with a wonderful project for next year.


Your latest FP is so pretty, especially in that colour. I hope it fits!

Here's hoping your wrapping goes well and that you do NOT lose track of the tape or the scissors even once.

Willow said...

Love those gnomes! (I wish I could do a decent crochet)
NO crochet hooks until Wednesday night, young lady!! LOL

Babajeza said...

The gnomes are lovely. My cat would love them. She always takes my hat with fur ball out of the box. Yesterday, I found the hat outside, 50 metres from the hosue down the hill. I first thought it was an animal ...

Have a nice time. Christams is just around the corner ...

Regula

KSD said...

Oh, buying out pom-poms was so very worth it!

Araignee said...

The gnomes are adorable! They do look like a fun project.
Your sweater is lovely. I am playing sizing chicken with some sweaters myself and I like the idea of donating/gifting instead of frogging.

Anonymous said...

omgosh! what??? no pics of Little Buddy or even the Boys!!!??
BUT... ALL is forgiven. those are the absolute CUTEST little gnome guys I've EVER SEEN! I just love them. and laughing right out loud with your obsession with them. LOLOL!
I think the one with the red beard has a Scottish accent! you should probably name them.
just stay safe and well and enjoy the season!
and your choice of green with the blanket.... is wonderful!
XOXOXO

Jo said...

Those little gnomes are so cute, I'm sure they've put a smile on a lot of faces. Well done for holding back on the blanket till you got the sweater off the needles, it's hard to do when you want to jump straight in.

Christina said...

Your gnomes are fun, I like them a lot. I can totally see how it might be difficult to stop making them. Have a good week xx

kathy b said...

Those Gnomes!!!They are adorable!!! I hope your word days before Christmas Eve are low key.
Lil buddy wil love a new blanket whenever his mom makes him this one! So happy the Packers won last night!!!

Caffeine Girl said...

I totally don't get the gnome thing in any fashion, but those are cute. There is a little town about a half hour from Madison called Mt. Horeb that is filled with gnomes. Apparently I'm in the minority! But your little ornaments are adorable.

TheAwakenedSoul said...

Oh, that blanket is going to be gorgeous...I love green. Your gnomes and latest sweater are so impressive. You get so much done!

karen said...

love your colorful cheerful gnomes, I can see how they could be addictive to make. You've been busy!!

Ellen D. said...

My first thought was that you could us the fluffy hair from your dogs' haircuts to make those furry pompoms! Aren't you clever and quick to make so many of those gnomes!

Vera said...

Those gnomes are ADORABLE!!! I may still try to knit a couple of mitten ornaments to attach to packages...but first I need to finish wrapping...LOL

sewing green lady said...

I love the gnomes they are a great idea I am not surprised you became obsessed, I bet everyone who receives one will smile when they see it. Great dress too, you are so good with those needles. Have a lovely Christmas. x

Jill said...

Love those gnomes 😍😍😍 Little Buddy’s blanket will be gorgeous, I’m sure. Your viral top is besutufu and I’m sure will look beautiful on you.
It’s very cold, wet and windy here. Wish I was visiting you again! Take care my lovely friend,
Jillxxx

20 North Ora said...

Gnomes are precious! Merry Christmas!

Judy S. said...

Wow, what a lot of cute gnomes. I finally got the beads and pompoms and the gnomes are on my list for next year! Don't know how is missed this post.