Saturday, July 24, 2021

Treasures..............

 











I have been busy packing up two big cabinets in my dining room and living room, getting ready for the painters to come the beginning of August.  This is where I store my family treasures.  I keep them safe and rarely open the doors, they are in shaded rooms that don't get much use or light.  I like to keep them safe so they can be passed down to future generations.  My Mother's wedding china is in one case with two bowls that were my Grandmother's.  My Mother never liked the china, I have a feeling my grandmother picked it out for her.

In one side of the big cabinet is where my grandmother's hurricane lamp lives, along with the violin my Dad learned to play on when he was a boy.  There are tools from his father, and dice his mother used to use, and the oldest ornament that used to hang on his tree when he was a boy, and that hung on mine when I was little.  There are china pieces from my husband's family belonging to his grandmother and great grandmother, and an autograph book from his great, great grandfather.  

There is a small wooden chair carved for my grandmother,  To Carrie by Marion, and a picture of her with her older sister and brother.  There is also a smiling photo of my Dad's mother, who I always think of as not feeling well because that is what I was told she was like when I was a little girl.  Although I have since learned that she was a happy woman who had my father later in life when she was not feeling her best.  There is a letter to my grandparents from my father when he was in Burma in WWII, and a letter from my grandfather back to him.  My Dad wrote he just wished this darn war would end, it broke my heart because he was a gentle man who never got over the horrors of the war he fought in.

There is a gorgeous photo of my Grandmother's sister Rhoda, she died in the pandemic of 1918, she was just 16 years old.  I have her porcelain doll Dina if you remember that post from years ago.  My grandmother left nursing school to come home and take care of her family during the pandemic, she lost two sisters within a few days of each other and her grandmother as well.  After it was over she returned to nursing school and became a nurse, not an easy task in those days long ago.

In the top photo you can see wee little hands that were cast in plaster, those are my older boys when they were young.   There is also a wonderful chocolate service that was my great grandmothers on my Mother's side, and a photo of her stern looking face right in front of it.  

There is still more in this house, my grandmothers music stand and sewing box, my dad's fathers wooden golf clubs.  These all mean the world to me but I fear having boys it won't much matter to them.  As I packed things away in containers I wondered what will happen to all of these treasures when I pack up and leave this house, will anyone want all of this history?


Still I know that the greatest treasure of all is my family and this little boy in new pajamas. His health and his progress are amazing treasures.  This week we went for his routine rapid MRI and his last visit to see his neurosurgeon who saved his life twice when he was just six weeks old.  I thanked her again for saving him, just like I always do.  She is retiring after such an amazing career, saving lives and training others to save them as well.  I wished her the best and thanked her for all she has done for all the children she has seen over her career, especially this amazing boy who was born dead, 13 weeks early, with complication after complication.  She is the reason I am able to have him in my life and hold him close like the sassy treasure he is.


And just to make you laugh I will leave you with this treasure.  This came home from camp with Little Buddy yesterday, it made me laugh out loud! Look at those wonky eyes! 

Have a wonderful weekend my friends, stay smart and safe as the pandemic is not over yet. 

30 comments:

Kim in Oregon said...

What a lovely post full of memories. But I have to ask: are there any autographs in the autograph book?

Karen said...

Haha, that last photo brought a big smile to my face. I liked hearing about all of your treasures. I have a lot of family heirlooms, too, and like you I wonder if they will be treasured by my kids. This is a great idea to do a post, and have a record of the history behind the items.

50 and counting said...

My mother loved the American Beauty pattern. She gave her teaset to my oldest son. He has it in his basement store room. Said he might use it someday as his Granny use to use it when we visited.

Never count sons out. They have memories to and perhaps using the china will make it stick in their memories.

Araignee said...

What lovely treasures you have! I was just wondering about all my things from the past too. No one is going to want them. I see a large dumpster in their future if I don't figure out something while I am still here to do it. It's going to be enough for my kids to have to deal with all my hobby toys.
I love little camper Buddy's expression. That's just how I would feel if I owned one of those. I've been trying to talk The Mister into one for years and so far no luck.

Delighted Hands said...

Oh, I really enjoyed seeing the treasures from your families--what a great heritage you can pass on. Lil Buddy is adorable in his pjs and the camper photo is perfection! lol
I have several family members struggling with the Covid Delta variant right now--no, the pandemic is not over yet....

Betsy said...

You DO have lots of treasures but I'm sure they will soon be organied and appreciated. You never know, maybe one of your DIL's, once the boys are married will enjoy getting and using them.
Blessings,
Betsy

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Yes the last photo is funny 😍. Good idea!! Always something to cherish from families in years past. I have some items of my mom's. Saw glasses she used to wear. I take them to a restaurant that has a box them that goes to help people who need glasses. I have cups and saucers from my aunt and photos. I should scan them and then put them in a book. For family members. Enjoy your weekend. We've got some smoke in air today. :-) Becky

Dee said...

I loved looking through your treasures.

I have passed our photo boxes on to Stephen. He can do with them what he will.

I gave some things to my sister when she was here a few weeks ago. I have a feeling she will look at them and then throw them in the trash. Stephen did not want them and I doubt her sons will want them.

I think you are right about sons. That's all we have in this generation. I had one boy and she had two.

busybusybeejay said...

What wonderful memories.Have you written down a history of all the pieces for future generations?

mamasmercantile said...

You are blessed with some wonderful treasures and indeed memories.

Jo said...

Such wonderful treasures, so many memories wrapped up in them all, they tell of lives well lived. I especially love the photos.

CJ said...

You have some really lovely treasures there, and I am sure your boys in time will come to love and appreciate them, not least because you do. Is that a Portmeirion bowl at the top right? And maybe a Portmeirion cannister? Lovely. I have some things on my mantlepiece that I love. A picture the eldest painted of Bewick's swans and an old book on grasses that he bought me. A polymer clay starfish that the youngest made during lockdown and a tiny paper crane that the middle boy made me. A couple of brilliant pieces of driftwood that look like a giraffe and a snake respectively. Pebbles and feathers from family walks. I love it all. Hope you have a good Sunday my friend. CJ xx

bittenbyknittin said...

Oh, you have so many things to remember your ancestors by! I have a few, including quite a few letters; I wish I had saved the ones my mother wrote me. My kids are not too interested in any of this, but my granddaughter occasionally tells me I am lucky to have all those letters. Will she want them, though?

Ellen D. said...

Those are nice treasures that remind you of your family history. I like the idea of writing a short explanation of the background of each piece. It will make the collection more meaningful to your sons.

kathy b said...

I am sure your neurosurgeon Neo appreciates the thanks. Knowing she gave this boy a chance for you, without knowing it, is surrea1. Quite a few of our neonatoogists have retired recenty , I've heard. They were a11 about the same age so It makes sense.

As for 1i1 B in his new pj's....what a great photo.

THe history 1esson of your fami1y is amazing. THere is a reason you are hanging on to them. You must have warm and wonderfu1 memories of stories you were to1d by them or about them.
MY Irish grandparents came with nothing. They didn't co11ect anything . That I know of.
My Hungarian side brought a few chests of things with them to our country. I have 8 g1asses that are dark b1ue and I think they are crysta1. My father gave them to me. I have a wooden bow with a notch in it from that side too. What i have that is most meaningfu1 to me,, is my mom's watch. I on1y have it because I was speaking to him again, and it was shorty before he went into the hospita1 and died, that I asked him if he had it. He wanted to be certain I got it. More to that story. BUT, I have this pretty watch that my mom wore often. THe cover is a seashe11 and you open the she11 to see the time. It is de1icate 1ike my mom.
Your china is very pretty. The dice are the treasure I see and appreciate the most
FUN POST MEREDITH

Anonymous said...

Although I have quite a few family mementos, I do not think my daughter/grandchildren will want them. They do not want more stuff. I understand and am not offended. Things have changed so much in regards to how family items are viewed. They think the items are neat/unique but do not want them.

TheAwakenedSoul said...

Wow...such stories. Haunting photos. We can really learn from that 1918 flu pandemic. Life always holds challenges. Buddy's photo in that camper is a hoot!

MargaretP said...

A good idea if you know things will definitely not be wanted , is to take photos of them and write on the back what they are and family relevance before you sell or rehome the objects. If you think there are things that may be wanted, wait until your boys have kids of their own when they will have a stronger sense of family history. There will be a time when you have their attention to explain what your treasures are and if they would like to keep them for the future.

Crafty in the Med said...

Wonderful treasure...and treasures they are! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post and the details about your heirlooms. A mass of valuable history indeed! I so understand why you hold on fast to all those heirlooms. Heirlooms are valuable assets and I don't mean the financial value but the sentimental value which is really priceless. Curiously I have also been thinking about cataloguing my family treasures and writing a little explanation about each one. I know that sounds very grand and no I don't have a Fabergé egg or Picasso among my heirlooms but as if! Each of my treasures are of enormous value to me! Will they be thrown away in the future! I hope not I just don't want to think about that.
That last photo that Little Buddy brought back from camp has certainly made me smile :-) Stay safe Amanda x

Vera said...

Wonderful treasures! But that last photo takes the prize. Too funny. Little Buddy is such a hoot!!

linda said...

How nice that you have so many family treasures Meredith, I love the coffee set it's beautiful, I'm sure your boys will treasure them like you do because they will know the history of each piece and know that you have kept them safe and that they mean a lot to you. I haven't got the space to keep much, all I have is photos really but I don't think my family would appreciate mementoes anyway. I love the photos of Little Buddy I'm sure the neurosurgeon appreciates your thanks and her seeing Little Buddy's progress and his happy cheeky face will fill her heart I'm sure. Have a good week Meredith, xx

karen said...

loved seeing your treasures!! I especially love your thoughtfulness to thank his doctor and the way you love your son so very much and celebrate his achievements :)

Nance said...

Those are some lovely sentimental treasures. Even if no one else wants them at another time, you had them and loved them in your time.

The camper and its window full of LB is terrific! How creative and fun. That would stay on my mantel or refrigerator for a very, very long time. The smiles it would bring to me daily would be immeasurable.

wendy said...

So many much loved treasures. Here I love mine. History I also love and have my nannas postcards she died when I was 12 and I am now 64 ❤❤ Dear buddy love the van pic 😀😀

KSD said...

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

handmade by amalia said...

I enjoyed looking at all your treasures and thinking of the memories that come with them. You've arranged them beautifully.
Amala
xo

Jo said...

I am a family treasures kind of gal. I have lots from my family and I keep them in a box or use the paper ephemera to compile scrapbook pages. Your collection is amazing. Jo x

Melanie said...

You have some beautiful treasures! I know what you mean about wondering what will happen to them one day. I know there's not much of my mom's stuff I will want (nor do I have room to put anything more!) and I know my son won't want my stuff. I guess we just have to enjoy these things while we can and not worry about what will happen to them "one day".

I can only imagine how the neurosurgeon feels when she sees LB. It must be so gratifying to see patients like him. And I'm sure she knows how grateful you are for her, too. It's too bad she's retiring - but I guess she deserves it! ;-)

I love the last photo of LB with his wonky eyes. He's just so darn cute.

Needles and Wool said...

I enjoyed seeing all of the treasures you have from your family over generations. It is really special to have all of those heirlooms. Hopefully your sons will maybe choose what means something to them to keep. I know my mom has some things too from family and my sister has already inherited some things. It is so nice to have them as memories of the past. Even photos of them are nice to have as memories. Buddy is a treasure and nice to see the surgeon that saved his life! Take care :)

Mrs. Micawber said...

Thank you for sharing your treasures with us! I love your grandmother's smile, and I think you look like her.

LB's neurosurgeon must feel very proud of her work. What a blessing to have a doctor like that.