Saturday, November 23, 2019

Stillness on a Saturday..................







Today I made a decision to stay home for most of the day.  I am plum worn out my friends.  Work has been very stressful the past two weeks with loads going on for a very special medical foster family I work with.   I have been in the middle of it, much to my dismay, but sometimes these things just can't be avoided.   I worked or drove 50 hours in four days this week.  I have children who are very complex that have been spread out all over the county.  I need to see them but with my already tight schedule it now has me driving even more and getting home every evening near 8.  Let's just say I have not been that patient with one little boy we all love who has been a bit of a pistol this week at school.  Two apology notes were written to friends at school for not saying the nicest things.   It is one of those things I will laugh about in a week or two but for now I am just trying to deal with it all.  Little Buddy is very socially delayed so he does not understand what is right or wrong when it comes to interacting with kids.  If he hears or sees someone do something, well he might do it to just to try it out.   Anyway, he will learn it all in due time, but will I survive until he does?  That is the big question!

So this morning I did not have any private patients and I decided that Little Buddy and I would complete his reading homework and be done with all of it so he can enjoy his Thanksgiving break.  That Little One took over two and a half  hours to type 8 sentences about a small book he read.  Oh my Lord I almost lost my mind.  But I decided that he was responsible for his time and if he chose to waste it sitting at the computer than so be it.  He is more than capable of completing this activity in under 30 minutes.  Let's see, I washed the dogs, and cleaned the outside lanai windows that were dirty from recent pressure washing.  I did laundry, took a shower, vacuumed and washed the floors.  All while that little boy sat at the computer not completing his assignment.  Finally, he got it done and we got to move on with our day.

I decided to skip his special needs soccer today.  I just wanted to be home and he wanted to stay in his pj's.  We sat outside and watched the Ohio State football game and he played with play doh while I was knitting.  We ate lunch and had nice chats, mostly about elevators because that continues to be his obsessive love.  He is darling, and when he is not procrastinating about sentence completion or calling friends names he really is so lovely to be around.  I have missed him these past few weeks.  I am always home to get him out of bed in the morning and read a story with him with a quick cuddle at night.  And he is in great hands with his Dad and baby sitter, still when I am working so much I miss his little body and his amazing giggle.

I will have a four day weekend coming up with Thanksgiving so that is a huge thing to look forward to.  Today was all about taking a deep breath and just trying to relax a little.  I think it might be working!



And just for fun Little Buddy had crazy hair day yesterday at school.  They had a walk-a-thon to raise money for several projects at school.  Here he is with his amazing assistant Ms Rachel.  She is by far the best thing that has ever happened to him..  She has dedicated the last three and a half years to this boy and he would not be where he is academically without her.  I can never thank her enough for all she does for him.

Okay, I am out of here.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend.

20 comments:

busybusybeejay said...

Oh dear. You sound so tired and stressed.Hopefully a long weekend lets you recharge your batteries ---a bit.Look after yourself.I do worry about you pushing yourself too far.Take care.

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

I'm glad you have some time at home today. LB is still growing thankfully and glad he's got some one to assist him at school! We are ok. Wow..
A lot of work for you and driving. Hope things go well with families your hwlookg. Still a bit sad but Erin is ok. Justin said they were surviving when he texted me back this a.m. thanks for your prayers and concern. I saw a lady walking around knitting when I stopped in at Les Schwab tire center to talk with Phil. (He was there with Megan's car as battery was dead and needed a new one. And she drove his car to work.) Anyway the scarf she was knitting was long and told her to just throw around her neck so she wouldn't trip over it!! She's some customer that comes into hardware store. Have a good weekend and enjoy your upcoming thanksgiving weekend.

Lorrie said...

A day at home is a wise choice. You need the break. Love that your boy has Rachel to help him at school. Be rested.

Betsy said...

Oh sweet Meredith, it does sound like a day at home with that sweet boy is exactly what you needed. It's most likely exactly what HE needed too. I'm so glad that although you did get a lot done, it was also a relaxing time for you.
It looks like Rachel loves your boy too. Look at those smiles!
I hope you get to relax a bit tomorrow my dear friend. You need some more down time.
Love and Blessings,
Betsy

CJ said...

Oh I LOVE the idea of crazy hair day, and those last two photos are adorable. So glad you had a good day at home, your work schedule sounds crazy, I really hope it calms down a bit for you. But you are amazing, and I have no doubt that the children and families you work with benefit so much from you. You are wonderful my friend, and I am sending you an enormous hug. CJ xx

Jo said...

You have to get off the spinning world every now and again. My patterns of behaviour are very similar to yours. You are lucky to have people like Rachel in your lives. Stay cool. Jo xxx

Jo said...

Little Buddy is just like any other little one who would rather be doing other things than completing his homework. He'll learn in time that the quicker he gets it done, the more time he has for fun things. It sounds like you needed that day at home.

Araignee said...

Whew....having a do nothing day is so important to recharge the batteries. Of course it sounds like your day of relaxation was pretty filled with things to be done too. I hope this Thanksgiving is a time of peace for you-and whatever that purple thing is it made my heart sing. It's gorgeous!

Janice Smith said...

Love Little Buddy’s hair!!! Awesome photo . . .

Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy the upcoming long weekend.

kathy b said...

Meredith, You have such a stressful job. I'm praying for you.
You are the best mom in the world for Lil B. It takes a village and it is good for him because he can count on many adults in his life. He is learning that he is loved deeply by many.

I hope you feel rested a bit today. Go Pack. My father has given up on the Bears. >Says he admires Erin Rodgers. I don't think ISpelled his name right. Too lazy to look it up right now, but you know!

I will be send Lil B a short video today.

Christina said...

It is good to stay in sometimes and just do what needs done around the house and spend time making something nice. Your works sounds very very stressful but I also get the sense that is rewarding. There aren't enough women like you to look out for children, and to work with them. Our littlest is a homework nightmare.... I have almost given up, I don't have the energy for those weekly battles. The other day we had to write mnemomics for five spelling words and the drama leading up to finally doing it in a short while was unbelievable.... Have a good week my friend xx

TheAwakenedSoul said...

They look so happy together. I'm glad you got to relax with your knitting. I find Buddy's obsession with elevators very funny. Lots of adults waste time on the Internet, too. I know I do. Your posts are always so vivid and entertaining.

Anonymous said...

even SUPER MOMS need to take a break. your patience and sheer fortitude are more than amazing. they are precious GIFTS that I hope those parents and families you serve appreciate!
to drive all over is enough stress in itself. and then to deal with what you do… it's incredible to me.
I'm so glad you took the day and that little Buddy could work at his own pace. just having you at home probably helped more than you'll ever know! the pictures you've shared of him and his wild hair day and sweet Rachel and the puppies... all just perfect! have a wonderful Thanksgiving Mere. XOXOXO

karen said...

have a great thanksgiving break you deserve it!! I'm glad you took off some time to relax a bit, I cannot believe how much you get done!

Melanie said...

I don't know how you keep up with all that you have going...bless your heart. I hope you are able to relax and enjoy this upcoming long weekend. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. xoxo

Gracie Saylor said...

Reading about how you seek to balance your time commitments is instructive and inspirational, Meredith! I am so glad you are able to build a support team and that you chose to have much-needed quiet time. I lined up all sorts of commitments this Fall which has left little time for blogging, and I am now evaluating how I can better balance what I am doing. I am thankful for a Thanksgiving break and hope you and your family have a Happy Thanksgiving!🦃🍂🏈🍂❤️

handmade by amalia said...

That is the sweetest little boy. Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
Amalia
xo

Jeannie Gray Knits said...

LOL, I had to laugh at the sentence writing saga. It reminded me of my son and his math. If he'd have just done it, he could have finished it in 10 minutes but instead he'd spend 2 hours moaning, dropping his pencil, flopping around in his chair..... Goodness am I glad to be past that stage of life!
Hope you have a happy and restful Thanksgiving!

DelightedHands said...

Have a wonderful time over his/your school break! We are not made to have the overload of stress. I hope you can work it out soon!
Wonderful pic of Lil Buddy and his assistant!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Little B sounds like any normal kid who doesn't want to do homework. Plenty of things I put off doing, mostly housework. :/ Rest and enjoy your 4-day holiday.