Friday, August 6, 2021

Before and after, fun times........

 It has been a week my friends, quite a week.  Remember when I said I was going to enjoy some time alone, ha, you must have all laughed hysterically because there is so much to do when you are getting your house painted.  After work each day I tried to clean up as much as possible but it was tough with the mess.  The boys were in my office for four days, boy were they upset.  And every time my son or I had to take them out we tracked paint onto the wood floor.  I have scrubbed and mopped it five times and it still isn't all up.  One of them got sick in the office, they are both still not eating right yet. We had to sleep upstairs in the guest room for three nights which was an experience because they usually sleep in a crate in the laundry room, and we had to walk up and down plastic covered stairs.  I prayed every time I went down them holding on to their leashes that I would not be found with a broken neck, at the bottom of the stairs, by the painters in my pajamas.  The painters were, "done" on Wednesday so it has been all out clean up and unpacking since then.  "Done," is a funny word because they left so much that needs to be touched up and even left my dinning room light covered in plastic.  Here are some before photos that I came home from work to find on Monday and after as of today.





Before and after, my dinning room.  Disregard the double antique desk in the middle of the photos, that is going to be moved to the guest room as soon as I have two strong guys here to help.

 



Before and after, my living room.  I took another photo of the other side of the room but I can't seem to find it.  All the decorations on top of that big oak cabinet used to be above it on the planter shelf but it is really hard to reach up that high and really hard to clean up there with them so high up and in the way. I will see if I can stand it this way. 




Before and after, my family room.  I had my bedroom and bathroom painted but did not get a before of either.  The walls are a nice warm beige and the ceilings white.  Before this the walls and ceilings were all painted a pinkish beige, it was a warm color as well but ended up looking more pink than beige.  It was a 20 year ago color, not a 2021 color.  We have a lot of extra ridiculous ceiling details so I always want them to fade away, now everything up there is white even though I had to discuss it all several times with the painter.  According to him most people have the details painted both colors to draw attention to the ceiling, but I had to ask him why would I want people to walk in my house and look up at the ceilings?  The people who built this house payed way too much money for ceiling details that I just want to go away. 




Last night in bed I sewed on the buttons to my latest sweater.  This one took me almost two months to knit.  I think I have been a bit busy lately.  I finished half of the last sleeve yesterday while attending a pain management course online.  It was really interesting and I could knit the whole time because we were online but not visible, all we had to do is type our names in the chat box several times to make sure we were attending. 

Just like all the other Harebell's I have made this is made with Berroco Summer Sesame in the color Coral.  I don't even like orange or coral but it was an obsession buy and I like the finished sweater.  Made with 3.5 skeins so I am guessing 1,000 yards, size six and seven needles. Made with one inch extra for the body and sleeve length.  You all know the drill by now.  I used buttons I bought for the first Harebell because I had extra and didn't want to wait to finish it until I bought more. I have one more to make but am going to try to crochet for a bit.  My pattern plan may or may not work, we will see. 

This guy is having the time of his life.  But maybe a bit too much fun as the last two nights I have received FaceTime calls with a crying boy.  The first was that he missed me and wanted to be home because he had not seen me in like forever, for like a really long time!!!!!   After talking to him and quieting him down I had a little chat with Dad about Little Buddy being super over tired, he needs to not do so much because it hits him later not when he is out having fun.  Last night the call was about Dad, who is really, really mean because he took the iPad away, sigh.  We talked and did some deep breathing, calmed down and I told him to read a book for a while in the bedroom.  He was good as gold after a rest and dinner.  He will be home tomorrow and I will be so glad to give him a hug, but to be honest this was not the rest and break I really needed.  But I know once I wrap my arms around that little body I will be pleased as punch he is home.  Well unless he is having a fit about me!

I did fit in a dinner with a friend yesterday in an outside seafood restaurant and lunch with a friend in a Thai restaurant we love. We got there when it opened and slid in the first booth, away from everyone.  I am seeing more mask wearing so I hope people are understanding that Florida is really getting hit hard by the Delta variant, even though our governor seems to make light of it all, even writing an executive order that no school systems can mandate mask wearing, if they do they lose funding.  Really?  I know one little boy that will be wearing one, but it will be hard when other kids are not required to. 

Stay safe my friends. 

34 comments:

bittenbyknittin said...

Your home looks lovely, but I hope you have not paid the painters yet. They should come back and do the touch-ups. Your story makes me really appreciate the painters I've had over the years - I had to empty cupboards and such but they moved the furniture, provided tarps, cleaned up every night, etc. My granddaughter should be on her way home now - it was nice to be "off duty" for a week, but I was still busy. One more week before school starts.

Kim in Oregon said...

I think it looks great! Sorry for the lack of rest!

Jean Winnipeg said...

Your house looks lovely. I did have a sympathetic chuckle though about the lack of rest, and the upheaval and the dogs and plastic on the stairs)

When we had a new shower unit installed I came home on Friday early evening to discover it wasn't finished, and they had quit for the weekend and left tools around the counter of my wash basin and all over the floor-a total mess.



Dee said...

Getting a house painted is as bad as moving house. We stayed in a hotel while our house was painted. Giroux does NOT do well being shut in one room, even if he has everything he needs. He stays very nicely in an expensive hotel room. Is that boy spoiled ............um, yeah! Very much so.

Hope your boys have a safe trip home. Give that little guy an extra big hug from me.

Araignee said...

Oh, those before photos! They are triggering my floor refinishing drama of last year. Of course I am still living in the fallout since I can't get the kitchen done. Sigh.....anyway, your house looks gorgeous and even better...it's DONE!
Your governor needs to be run out of town on a rail. Ours is not much better. He won't do another mask mandate but at least he's not stopping those counties that want them and I am happy mine does. Daughter's does too but it might be too late. They've had 4 kids come down with Covid in the past week in her rink's summer camp. I am worried to death about her as she in 4 months pregnant. Who the heck has a baby during a pandemic? 2 of my 3 kids have. Jeesh....I might not survive the worry.

wendy said...

You have a fabulous home loved seeing. No rest at all and Buddy will be happy home.
Lockdown here and getting worse so many don't wear masks 🤐🤐

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your painting looks great. The school district where the grand daughters attend, said that the kids/staff would be wearing masks. . .except for eating. . .except when breaks were needed . . except for outdoor play. The school district in which my daughter teaches has released e-mails that say all the staff and students will be masked except when eating. Even though I'm fully vaccinated, I'm wearing a mask until my grand daughters are vaccinated. I wouldn't want to infect them with a virus that I picked up.

Change in the routine is hard. I hope Little Buddy has a couple good days in a row so he can settle in to the change.

Melanie said...

Getting your house painted when you have to move everything and keep animals out of the way, etc is a huge pain! Been there, done that, don't want to do it again! If they didn't do a good enough job and it needs touch ups, I hope you are going to have them back to fix things...and not pay them in full until it's done!

I must've missed your last post...are you on a little getaway? I'll have to go look.

Love the buttons on your sweater.

xoxo

Melanie said...

PS - your house is beautiful! Who plays the piano?

Wanderingcatstudio said...

The cardigan is gorgeous! love the buttons!

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Your house looks cozy and glad it's finally all done. Not always fun to get things packed away to get rooms taken care of. The sweater looks so cozy that I feel like crawling into it and staying warm. Air conditioner is on and at times I just need to add another layer in the evening. I check out yarn on Ravelry and it looks nice but I prefer Merino wool. I do have some to use for sweater and vest. Will see when I get my prayer shawl finished. I knit 3 rows while talking with my sister on the phone last evening. I had speaker on so I could do it. I am done making long shawls. I enjoy knitting but i need to get blanket made for my granddaughter. Have a good weekend and hopefully Buddy will be happy and not against you, but then kids can do that and love is good all times! "+} Becky

Delighted Hands said...

Oh, what a beautiful home--the new paint is lovely colors-nice choices! the new sweater is gorgeous! Glad you went out to eat for a reward--you need it! Being a long distance mom is hard, too!

CJ said...

Sorry it wasn't a hugely restful week, but your rooms are looking gorgeous. And those windows are absolutely beautiful. I don't think you're a rest sort of a person anyway, I'm sure you would have found something else useful to be doing if it wasn't having the decorators in! And now you have a big job crossed off of your list which must be satisfying. But I do hope you find a little bit of time to relax at some stage. Gorgeous cardigan, I love knitting with yarn that changes colour, it's brilliant. I am going to go and see if I can find some like that for a scarf. Hope you have a lovely weekend. CJ xx

Jo said...

Oh, I don't envy you all that upheaval, it'll all be worth it in the end though. It makes everything so much harder when there's animals to cope with too, they don't take too kindly to change of any sort. I think Little Buddy will allow you to stay in the family now, they do say that absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Crafty in the Med said...

I LOVE your house and how you have decorated it...great style(please excuse the capital letters! I am not shouting it is emphasis!). There is so much to see I need a second look so going back in :-) Well my favourite colours are orange (any tone) and green so I think the wool you have used for your cardigan is smashing. I really think you need to get those painters back in to finish the job! Poor fur boys I expect it was all too traumatic for them! It does sound like Little Buddy is missing you. Take care Amanda x

linda said...

I feel for you Meredith what an upheaval! that's why I put off having things done with my little house which is tiny compared to yours. It is looking lovely but it sounds like painters are the same everywhere they never seem to finish a job properly. What a beautiful home you have so much character and style. I bet L Buddy can't wait to get back home and give his Mum a big hug. The sweater is beautiful I love the colours and the buttons look just right. I hope you can have a restful weekend, I know that sounds silly right, but do try and have a bit of you time. xx

Jeanie said...

Well, first of all, the house looks fabulous and worth the chaos for that week. But boy, I hate the chaos. It's why my house, which sorely needs repainting and has loads of books cases and china cabinets remains in dire straits. That's a ton of work on your part. I'm really sorry you didn't get the rest and break you need and hopefully you can a bit before LB and your husband return. At least you had a nice lunch and dinner.

The cardigan is gorgeous. That yarn is a knock out! Happy week. (It sounds like LB has invited you back into the family again. I'm so glad!)

Ellen D. said...

The house looks so nice but that is a huge job so I can see why it was stressful for you. At least you are set for another 20 years! Hope you get more time to relax a bit. Stay safe!

Eileen in Fla. said...

I had an epiphany a few years ago (I'm in my late 70's). I always shopped sales and discount stores, clipped coupons, economized every way possible, and never took that trip to Europe. Now I find that I'm comfortable financially. Frugal living pays off I guess. But I now hire people to help with all the myriad jobs of home ownership. There are companies that do everything...even post-construction clean-up and deep cleaning of homes. I'm still in charge and boss them around, but it saves my back and mood. P.S. I share your opinion of our Governor. Clearly he's a Trump wanna-be.

Christina said...

Your house looks beautiful Meredith. Having the decorators in is never fun because no matter how hard they try, there is always some mess. I know exactly how LB feels when he tired after a long day packed full of fun. It is difficult to stop the fun as it happens to avoid drama later isn't it? It is lovely to read that LB is having a wonderful time on his holiday with dad.

We still have a mask mandate indoors here in Scotland but not in England. It makes no sense at all to prohibit mask wearing mandates for schools or anywhere. Your governor sounds like a spoilt child who lashes out when things don't go his way. It would drive me crazy to live where you are just now. Isn't it crazy that some people insist it is their right to choose to not wear a mask and the same people do not understand that it is also our right to choose to wear one?

Have a lovely weekend my friend x

Anonymous said...

OHMYGOSH!
what a time you've had.
but just think! now it's all over and your home is absolutely LOVELY!
and the long cardigan is beautiful.
the picture and words about Little Buddy are priceless.
his Mom Knows him and precisely what he needs!
YOU will need a vacation after all this upheaval. but it's just so lovely to go into Fall and Winter with a fresh clean home! it must feel like new!
the light from the windows is heavenly. XOXO

Nance said...

An overtired kid is no fun. Many dads think they're doing a good thing by Wearing Them Out, but it's often something that backfires.

You have my sympathy when it comes to having workmen in, especially painters. I'm still finding spots of paint from our paint project about 10 years ago. It's infuriating.

Another lovely cardigan. You're creating a whole line!

Una said...

Just been reading your last few posts. You never stop! You have some lovely furniture and special possessions....and Buddy seems to have grown several inches since I was here last.

kathy b said...

Mere all of the afTEr photos are beautiful. I love the tones youve chosen One room flows into the other . I was thinking the other day of how my mom had a room with blue, and a blue wall to wall carpet, the next room would be gold with all gold invovled. Was it like that everyhwere or was my mom just so new to the idea of decorating a house, she didn't know how to ?

Lil buddy unhappy and tired is hard to hear about . I realize he probably had the time of his life during the day. He saved his emotions for you. Of course. I love Door County. It is wonderful that Dad will take him and Buddy is more indpendent of you for a tiny bit.

Your sweaters always amaze me Meredith.

As for pets, they were upset here this week as well. One cat has vomited every other day this week. Their schedule was abruply altered as we were away for 36 hours. IT took them a full day with us home to reset. And when they are stressed their hiar is shed times 10!

Wishing you a week of no germs. I hope the laws will protect children very soon in Florida.

Needles and Wool said...

The fresh coat of paint in your home looks great! I love the high ceilings and big windows in your home! too bad Buddy was upset at night and hope that you have a nice reunion soon. Too bad you didn't feel like you had a break I know painting and moving furniture is a lot of work. Stay safe too, here I am noticing cases going up a bit and worried again about the Delta Variant. Too bad that people aren't taking it seriously and wearing masks. This is one of our best preventions against spreading the disease. Take care.

Willow said...

I really really really like that sweater!
The walls look great. I do hope the painters are going to return quickly to do the touch ups and remove the decoration from the dining room lights.

Caffeine Girl said...

Wow, your house looks great! You have such a lovely sense of style. I love how clean and uncluttered your style is. I'm working on keeping our new house Scandinavian minimal. It's harder with a small house, be we said we wanted to downsize so I can't complain!
Sorry that you aren't getting the break you had hoped for. Mothering a kid with disabilities is exhausting! I used to beg my ex-husband to use all his placement time -- but he never did. Now, I'd do anything to have my little ones back for a day. That's just how it goes.
I am so glad I retired seeing as no schools I've heard of are requiring staff to be vaccinated. This whole school thing is crazy!

Neighborhood Watch said...

Oh! Your house looks great! So worth it in the end. You know our brains kind of forget the chaos over time. We had our floors refinished once and had to move everything into a POD. I don't even remember any of the details about doing that, except it was a big pain, but the floors look great. I love your sweater, and those buttons are pure happiness.

Red Haired Amazona said...

Your house looks just lovely. I'm envious of the beautiful arch window! But what a drama with the painting!
Little Buddy will feel so much better when you get to give him a great big hug. Sometimes they may not act like it but it does bring kids so much love and security when they get home to big hugs.
By the way I love the sweater. The colours are divine!
xox Louise

karen said...

isn't painting a pain? so is moving!! I love your before and after photos, very nice!

Eileen said...

Painting the inside of a home is.....mega work! I am always shocked at all the 'touch up & clean up' that needs to be done after the mega bill. I pay it, don't complain just to get them out of the house, I can fix and clean faster than they can, if I could even get them back.
I am sorry about your crazy governor. We have family in Florida who are always asking us to come down and now I have a great excuse that is nonnegotiable, Florida has crazy out of control COVID and a goofy governor that has no concern about peoples health and wellbeing, nope Florida is not on any of our travel plans.
Your house looks great!!!!

Gracie Saylor said...

Your reported long-distance consultation with your youngest delighted me, Meredith :) and I so admire your beautiful new sweater and freshly painted rooms! May the Lord bless your family reunion and your busy days ahead. Officials are instructing us to prepare for some more triple-digit temperature days this week near Portland, OR!!! Mercy!!! ((hugs)) :)

Mrs. Micawber said...

The house looks lovely with the new paint, but what a hassle! You must be so glad it's done.

That is one cute sweater, and those buttons are adorable.

Hope the reunion with LB was happy and peaceful. Stay safe there. We have begun wearing masks again here. After all the months of sacrifice it would be foolish to take chances now!

TheAwakenedSoul said...

Ugh...the Covid situation in Florida is so upsetting. Your sweater is gorgeous! I love the painting, too. That sort of work can be stressful. Hope the dogs are doing better. My mom told me they don't like change.