Friday, August 13, 2021

The first week of school ..........

 

This is Little Buddy on Meet the Teacher Day on Monday.  I took the day off to be with him as he was very anxious and did not want to go to fourth grade, ever!!!! But we went and met his wonderful new assistant Ms. Frances.  She met us at the door, got on her knees so she was eye level with him and introduced herself.  Even with a mask on she was animated, engaged, and oh so lovely.  She wrote him a letter that was on his desk introducing herself and hoping they would become good friends and have lots of fun learning together.  My heart heaved a big sigh of relief knowing she will be with him, guiding and loving him this year.  His last assistant was very nice but never understood him, and I believe while she was kind she was way too quiet for a boy who can be very demanding.  Ms. Frances has been wonderful each day he has been at school this week.  As she dropped him off at car pick up this afternoon she put her hand on her heart and said she just loves him, oh my heart and soul did a giant leap of happiness.  He can be a handful but he is sweet and full of love.   He is very innocent and not aware of social cues, he needs love and protection until he is ready to grow up a bit. 


We met his two teachers, one for Language Arts and the other for Math and Science.  They seemed lovely and his Language Arts teacher told me she had a little boy in her class years ago that had cerebral palsy and was in a wheelchair and that they had great fun.  She also told me she was so excited Little Buddy is in her class.  Another big sigh of relief.  Everyone in the school knows him, which is good and bad.  You may be hesitant to take him on as a teacher because he thinks differently from typical children, and he requires a lot of time.  I am glad she is up for the challenge.


This is how he ended his first day of school.  A few tears at having to do a poster that was all about him.  He was tired, so, so tired.  Yet we got it done after some milk and cookies.  I am not above bribing.  We left some to do on Thursday with Dad, but not too much because Dad is not the best with homework.  

He is happy and that is all that matters.  He had a bit of a hiccup yesterday when asked to get off a task involving numbers and move onto Science.  This boy LOVES numbers.  But he calmed down and transitioned to the next activity with just a few tears shed.  I am glad the other children take it all a bit in stride, and frankly I am thrilled that he doesn't notice if anyone gives him odd looks.  That is a blessing of having some of the special issues he has.

I had the painters back today.  They worked just over two hours to fix things that needed a bit more paint or clean up.  They are very kind and even gave me the number of someone who can fix my ceiling that now has a softball sized hole in it.  We had a leak a while back that we fixed but the ceiling paint masked the hole that was made.  Sigh, there is always something to fix!  But now I feel I might just be able to settle down a bit.  I have been on super high drive mode getting things packed up, getting things cleaned up, getting things put back, getting a little anxious boy ready for fourth grade well it has all made it difficult to settle down.  I was also worried about Mr. 24 who had a break through case of Covid these past two weeks.  It started off with a mild tickle in his throat for two days then he got slammed with a fever, nausea and congestion.  He quarantined for 14 days and is now testing negative, thankfully.  He lost his sense of smell and taste but it is slowly coming back.  He is feeling much better now but was pretty sick for a few days.  Just imagine if he wasn't vaccinated, it would have been much, much worse. With schools back in session the fear of Covid has returned full force.  Little Buddy is wearing a mask, just as I do everywhere I go.  But there were plenty of children and their parents at meet the teacher that were maskless.  It makes me so sad that our children have become political pawns to a governor whose own children go to a private school that requires masks.  Please keep this little guy in your prayers that he stays healthy, his history with respiratory issues as a baby has me worried.  Last year when everyone was wearing masks I felt much better about his safety. 

Stay safe my friends, mask up and stay safe.

28 comments:

Kim in Oregon said...

First, I'm so thrilled that LB had a great first day at school! I can feel your relief!
Second, so sorry about your son with Covid. I'm glad he is getting better. But that's awful.
We now have a mask mandate in Oregon (again!) and I would guess in our little town about 75% of people are following it. Every day I hear of someone who gets it--something that really never happened last winter.

Dee said...

We are back to masking up around here too.

Your governor is a piece of work. Figures that HIS kids don't have to be exposed, eh????

Wishing Little Buddy a great year in 4th grade. Sounds like he is off to a pretty good start.

kathy b said...

Well, now...it is sounding very much like Lil Buddy will have a great new school assistant. I love a kind Langauge arts teacher. I wished my children had much less homework. For the first few weeks, my feeling is that the new classmates, teachers, lunchtimes and restrictions are enough for any aged human.
and, when I am Queen, school will not start until each child has woken up with enough sleep... ha. That never happened.

I do remember feeding zach as he came home in kindergarten and stared blankly into space on a chair on th eporch. I just started putting things in front of him. : apples, peanut butter, milk, juice, potato chips. As he began to eat, he would start to come alive again.

Well, Here's hoping for a good friend for Lil Buddy this important year. And for all to mask for the sake of others. Glad Mr. 24 did not have too bad a case of COVID but really, what kind of angels are watching over you Mere? You have to be exhasuted.

Wishing you a weekend with a few spurts of rest and some belly laughs

Betsy said...

Gosh I'm sorry to hear about Mr. 24 get a break through case. Alex and his new wife are both sick and I hope it's just with a regular cold. Her 2 yar old nephew had a cold last week and we were all around him. Dennis isn't feeling well either. He's coughing and congested. She's had a sore throat all week and is running a fever today. Not good. I wish someone would test for Covid, just to make sure.
Blessings,
Betsy

Araignee said...

Oh, my he looks handsome in that photo! Watching the news makes me so worried for Little Buddy and all the children who have to go back to school like my two grandsons. I also have the same big worries for my pregnant daughter. Everyone around her is testing positive and I fear it's just a matter of time if she keeps working around people who refuse to mask or get vaxed. Even though our numbers are sky high again and the medical people are screaming out warnings it is all for nothing. I can't even get The Mister to take it all seriously anymore. When they said masks off we've won the Covid War that genie was out of the bottle and I fear we will never get it back.

Crafty in the Med said...

Dear Mere,I am so very glad for Little Buddy and for you that his "meet the teacher" day went so well. It certainly looks as if Ms Frances knows what she is doing and she sounds very sweet. That must be a great relief to you. Sr P has been poorly these last few days with a "summer" cold and now I've got it. We are wondering of course if it is a bit of Covid but other than sore throat,cough and sneezing we have not got the typical symptoms so we have labelled it "summer" cold. Monday I have a doctor's appointment all the same. Very glad to hear Mr 24 has recovered well from that bout of Covid. Although we have been told we do not have to wear masks outdoors a large part of the population here in Alicante voluntarily continue to wear masks outdoors. Very sensible! I have thoroughly enjoyed your post today; you have a way with words :-) Hugs to LB from Spain Amanda x

Jo said...

It must be a weight off your mind that Little Buddy has those connections with his assistant and teachers, I truly believe that having teachers who inspire you can make all the difference and it must be even more so with children who require a little extra help. I'm glad that Mr 24 is on the mend now, this virus is so scary, I don't know why people wouldn't take precautions when they're able.

CJ said...

I'm so glad that Little Buddy will have some teachers who sound great and who are likely to 'get' him and give him the help and support he needs. And very glad that Mr 24 is on the mend and that he had his vaccine, as you say, it would no doubt have been much worse if he hadn't. Well done on getting all the decorating done and the fixing, I know how disruptive it all is. I hope things will be a bit less stressful once it is all done and Little Buddy is settled in to school. Still a few weeks of the summer holidays to navigate here! Bit of a meltdown yesterday (me) in a very trying day. Attempting to be calmer today :) I hope you have a lovely weekend. CJ xx

Anonymous said...

oh what a post!
I was overjoyed at Ms Frances. it's as if his own special angel is guiding him on his journey through the 'dreaded' 4th grade... for it to be starting out so well!
he is such a sweetheart.
and you will be able to relax knowing that he's being not only taught but genuinely Cared For!
the pictures of him in his dinosaur T shirt! PRICELESS!
I could go on gushing. but I won't. I think of you as a super mom! do you have a t shirt? LOL! that would be cool!
sending you love. take care of YOU too Mere.
and thank Heaven Mr 24 is over his attack of covid.
no words to cover the stupidity and willful ignorance of your governor. stay Strong!
XOXO

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Sounds like Little Buddy has a special teacher who will help him achieve the best of his abilities and push him a bit to grow his boundaries. I too loved his t-shirt! One of my quilting friends came down with the delta variant last week. The adults have been vaccinated. The under 12 kids not. The 23 year old daughter was the first to get it. She works outdoors. Has no idea where she got it. Her husband got it next who is on dialysis. Then she got it. All of them said, while they were really sick, none of them were hospitalized and they were so thankful for the vaccine. I hope more people--those holdouts--get vaccinated so we can move past the masks sooner rather than later.

Janice Smith said...

Bless Ms. Frances and Buddy’s new teachers; it sounds as if fourth grade is off to a good start. They are lucky to have this wonderful little guy in their class. Stay safe.

linda said...

Little Buddy looks so smart and I just love his t shirt, what a relief that all his teachers seem so lovely and of course they love him how could they not! I'm sorry Mr 24 was so ill but yes thank goodness for the vaccine it could have been so much worse, I'm glad he is recovering well. There appear to be less and less people wearing masks here as the days go on, people become too complacent. The cases will surely rise when the weather cools and the children go back to school. Lovely post as always Meredith, I hope you manage to have have a relaxing weekend. xx

bittenbyknittin said...

My granddaughter's school system is the only one locally to require masks; the rest are optional. Some parents were very vocal about not wanting their children to wear masks, and they were the loudest; hopefully, there won't be a spike in cases among children and staff. I'm so glad LB has such great support at his school! Hopefully, it will be a good year for him.

KSD said...

I hear why people refuse to wear masks, but I do not get it. On any level. So glad the breakthrough case resolved.

It sounds like LB is in for a magical year. Good on teachers who genuinely care; I know that helps you.

Tell LB, by the way, that I have always (ALWAYS) wanted to be left-handed, so I'm just a little envious.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Wishing little Buddy a very fun, educational and safe new year at school!

Christina said...

Happy to read that LB has a nice assistant teacher and nice teachers. It makes all the difference. I hope Mr 24 continues to recover from his Covid19 infection. Such a worry. Thinking of you xx

Jeannie Gray Knits said...

So glad you like his teachers and he had a good first day. Fourth grade is awesome!

wendy said...

So glad Mr 24 is ok again. Cute Buddy and good to know he is ok with grade 4.

Delighted Hands said...

I'm glad that Buddy has a good start to this school year!

Betsy said...

Just thought I would pop back in and let you know that Alex & his wife both tested for Covid and were negative. I really think Dennis's thing is just sinus. I sure hope so. His voice is virtually gone today. Piper starts school Tuesday, so I popped in and painted her fingernails for her today. :-)
take care and have a lovely week Meredith.
Blessings,
Betsy

karen said...

I pray little B is safe at school with the mask situation. Sounds like he is off to a good good start with school and with teachers who will challenge him but understand him, that makes a huge difference.

Nance said...

What a terrific shirt! I wish I had one just like it.

We are back to masking here in Ohio, but it is up to individual businesses to mandate them. Pretty much all of them are. I mask always to protect myself and my seven-year old granddaughter.

(As a former teacher, that looked like lots of homework for the first day. I'd be using treats for reinforcement, too.)

Hang in there. I'm thinking of you down there in FL.

Between Me and You said...

Your little-est boy looks nervous in that first pic. Glad it all went well. First day nerves will be abundant here tomorrow when all our children start back to school. Not so bad for our little one but the bigger one (High Schooler) will have to wear a mask the whole day. Between one thing and another, Meredith, it's quite a week for everyone. Glad your older lad is on the mend.Keep safe.xxx ps your house is absolutely beautiful, all that space makes me envious!

Jeanie said...

So much in this post to love with Little Buddy's Ms. Frances and a good start to school. You can't ask for more than a teacher who loves your child. And gratitude that your son is getting back to normal, now testing negative but oh, what a terrible scare and how worried you must have been. Yes, imagine without the vaccine. We're masking too but most shops aren't mandating them. They didn't mandate for schools either but have put out as strong a recommendation as one can. All good wishes that the taste and smell are in full force soon.

TheAwakenedSoul said...

That's wonderful that things are going so well with the new teachers and his helper. I used to help a boy in my high school who had CP. It was so sad. I was the only one who could understand him. He got obsessed with me, though, and refused to use his crutches. He would fall down without them, it was awful.

Melanie said...

Sounds like LB has a great start to his school year and wonderful teachers!

I'm so sorry to hear your son got Covid, despite being vaccinated. Like you said, it would've been much worse had he not been vaccinated though.

The kids here in our school district have to wear masks and of course, there are some parents who are fighting it. All I can guess is that they feel their personal rights are violated. I roll my eyes and think what morons they are and I feel so sorry for those kids. Guess these parents would rather have their kids seriously ill? So ridiculous.

I'll get off my soapbox now...

Hope you have a good weekend!

Raj said...

The best I am glad to start school. .nice post.

Gracie Saylor said...

You and yours continue in my prayers with love. So glad for good teachers for your youngest and that Mr. 24 is healing! xx