Sunday, June 12, 2022

Knitting and life in general..............

 








There has been some knitting as I have traveled these rough times.  I think there was a cardigan I forgot to take photos of that I finished.  And now my new obsession is this super simple scarf made by Diane Augustin of Yarn Happy-Bead Happy.  It is the Easiest Scarf and it is a free pattern.  I have noticed this scarf for years in the door of my local yarn shop.  The colors of the self striping yarn were so vibrant and it looked so simple.  When I was going to visit the store and everything was 30% off because they were closing I went a bit crazy with yarn for sweaters and yarn for this scarf.  The scarf yarn price on sale was a smidge over $10 which I think is a huge deal.  Especially when you have oodles of teacher and therapist gifts to make now and in the future.  I made four scarves for end of the year teacher and assistant presents, plus one for Little Buddy's principal.  She has been such a cheerleader for him all these years and really has an amazing group of teachers under her which I think is due to her leadership.  These are so, so easy to make.  There is a two row repeat that even I have not screwed up too many times.  I bought a lot of this yarn, Uneek Cotton, hand dyed self striping yarn.  The hanks are 275 yards and that is all you need to make this scarf, that and size 7 needles. The last scarf is for my friend and realtor Claudia.  She helped me find this beautiful house, held my hand every step of the way through the purchase and all that that entailed.  I have another one in the same colorway on my needles for a dear friend dealing with health issues.  I really don't have to think while knitting these, just let my needles move as I watch episode after episode of Heartland on Netflix.  What a beautiful show, just the horses and the scenery have me hooked. 

Little Buddy is growing up so fast.  I try to pull him on my lap for a snuggle and it is getting harder to wrestle him in place.  He has never been much for snuggles but I still try to get them when I can.  He is going to camp two days a week to help with the non-verbal children and to be a junior counselor.  Not sure he is much help but he sure can talk, and talk, and talk.  I am thankful for his teacher Ms. Lori for inviting him for this great opportunity.  So much has changed in his life these past few months, the stability of camp is good for him.

The boys had their first bath at this house.  I have an area off my screened in porch that is just outside the screen door you can see in the last photo.  It is tiled and I have a wired shelf out there with a few plants that were left here and watering cans and such.  There is a hose there so I decided to give it my best.  One dog at a time with his leash on, getting the spa treatment while the other waited on the other side of the screen nervous they were separated.  Then the wet dog went inside the porch and it was on to number 2!  I was quite pleased with myself that I did it and that I now have two clean boys.  They are a bit like dust mops, they pick up everything from outside then come in and jump on my bed leaving a trail of leaves, grass and mulch.  I have to vacuum everyday. But they are worth every minute of care and clean up because they are so full of love and really help calm me down, well when they aren't feasting on toilet paper because the bathroom door was left open anyway!

It has been a rough week here due to the situation I find myself in so I am signing off. I am emotionally and physically exhausted this week and weekend and need to rest up before my busy week starts.  Take good care my friends, these are just such stressful times in the world, try to take care of yourselves. 

24 comments:

Araignee said...

The scarves are wonderful! They will make great gifts.
I envy your doggy spa room. I found myself having to give Pup a bath this week in my new kitchen sink because of her bad hip and found the whole thing rather yucky. I did scrub the heck out of afterwards.
I hope you get the rest you need this weekend. I was going to say I can't imagine what you are going though but I know all too well. It's very similar to grief so take care of yourself because grief is hard work.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Hang in there. . .one step at a time. . .Those dust mops look like a lot of love to me even when they feast on toilet paper. . .after all. . .each four legged mate HAS to build their own saga. The scarves are beautiful. I'm not a knitter; but, if I were, I'd make at least one of these!

bittenbyknittin said...

The unconditional love of our dogs certainly helps in tough times! That camp experience sounds perfect for Little Buddy, what a great opportunity for him. And your knitting is lovely. You must be a really fast knitter!

Kim in Oregon said...

Sending much love and happy energy to you all!

CJ said...

Well done Little Buddy on camp, that sounds brilliant. The pups looking in the window made me laugh. Sweet that they don't like to be separated. We have had the toilet paper thing here as well, although Bertie isn't supposed to be upstairs really. I have made a very similar scarf to yours, they're such a nice shape aren't they. You're a star handmaking all the teacher gifts. So lovely to see a post from you, I was just thinking about you earlier in fact and wondering how you were doing.

Eileen in Fla. said...

I think every thinking person feels 'at loose ends' these days. I find myself weepy or with no motivation several times each day. I am so worried about the violence as well as the future of Democracy. Add the times we live in to your personal changes and challenges, and I can't imagine your stress. Glad you have your beautiful home and family for peace and respite. Stay well and hugs to you and LB.

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

The scarves you knitted look nice. I will check out the pattern. I just got a skein of merino wool yarn last Sunday when Phil and I were at Renaissance Faire. Possibly a small scarf or sox or hat, will see. I am glad you had a helpful friend through stressful times and LB going to a camp is good to do something with young people. It's been raining quite a bit lately in Oregon. More than normal but we will survive hopefully! Hugs and prayers my friend!
Becky

JoyM said...

Sending you love Meredith.
Hugs.
Joy

Betsy said...

Hello Meredith, The scarves have turned out beautifully. They will make perfect gifts for those important people in LB's life. And it sounds as if camp will be a great thing for him this summer. Helping others will be very good for him. It's good for all of us to spend time helping each other.
I gave both Zoey & Lizzie baths yesterday before Lizzie went home last night. They didn't like being separated either and sat right by my feet as the other one was bathed. Even though I always get wet, it's worth it to have fluffy puppies when we're all done. :-)
I'm praying for you every day my sweet friend. May God bless you with peace and hope in your heart through the coming week. Take care of yourself too.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Christina said...

These are lovely wee shawls Meredith. Making something is soothing, almost therapeutic. Sending you love x

Anonymous said...

Love the scarves - I started something very similar but 2 years later it's in my WIP pile - shame on me!
A few weeks ago my dear old Mum died, I mention this , not to gain sympathy, but acknowledge that all loss - any loss - is like a bereavement and needs time to work through. Be very kind to yourself, you deserve it.
Alison in Wales x

Nance said...

Thank you for the link to the shawl/scarf pattern. Perhaps it will inspire me to pick up some needles and yarn again one day soon since I see yours and find them quite nice.

The idea of LB being a junior camp counselor is wonderful. He'll be able to see himself as a helper, and that might be a perfect way to get him to understand how his behaviour can affect others positively. I know he'll have a valuable experience and a lot of fun.

Transitions are exhausting, and you're navigating an enormous one. I'm so glad you have supportive friends and your big, happy dogs. Take care. XO

Ellen D. said...

The scarves will make wonderful gifts and they turned out very well! Glad you are adapting to your new home and new life. Wishing you all the best.

Delighted Hands said...

Just beautiful work on the scarves! Very relaxing for you, too.
The extra screened room can be so handy for lots of things! The boys-all of them-look well. You are doing a good job!

busybusybeejay said...

Just take each day as it comes.Tough times.Hope things get easier soon.Little Buddy is such a star.You must be so proud of him.
Barbarax

Jeanie said...

So glad you are writing again and hope next week is a bit easier. Those scarves are gorgeous and what a lifesaver to have something both beautiful and productive to do as a stress reliever. I'm sure you have many wonderful friends, colleages, and therapists who will adore being on the receiving end of these. I'm so glad you have your own peaceful spot to be. And clean dogs.

Dee said...

Sending lots of hugs for you, Little Buddy, and the boys! Hope you find moments of relaxation among the million and ten things that always seem to need doing.

The scarves are beautiful. I put that pattern in my files to be made. I have never had a scarf. I think it is time I make one for next winter.

Take care ...

linda said...

The scarves are beautiful Meredith thank you for the link they will make lovely gifts. Little Buddy is looking so grown up in sure this is a great opportunity for him I bet it gives him loads of confidence. The boys look very smart it's sounds like a good way to shower them. I am hope you have a good week. 😊Xx

Melanie said...

Have been thinking a lot about you, Meredith. Hope you're someone finding some peace in your new home. I can only imagine how hard and stressful this all is for you. {{hugs}}

Little Buddy is growing up SO quickly!!

xoxo

Melanie said...

PS - can you please email me your new mailing address? Thank you!

Anonymous said...

this is a wonderful post! clean fluffy puppies! and a camp counselor Star! and a beautiful scarf. grant yourself some relax time dear heart. you have only had Hard Work for a long time now! rest if you can. you are loved by So Many! XOXO

Vera said...

Beautiful scarves Meredith - they will make wonderful gifts. How great to think of Little Buddy as a Juniot Counselor - just love that idea. Hoping you got the rest you need. Take care.

Bridget said...

I really like those scarves, and you are smart for getting them done with time to spare!

Oh, how frustrating that Little Buddy is growing out of snuggle time - just when it would be the most helpful. But I hope his time at camp will be a good one for him. Now granted, it's not the same, but as a kid in elementary school, I got easily bored and would chat with the other kids. One teacher changed seats so that I was next to the only girl in the class who never said a word, and had an A+ in conduct. By the time the next grading period came, my conduct grade was the same, but she'd gone down to a C ...

Those pups! Oh how I wish I could hug them.

Take care, Meredith.

My Creative Life said...

A beautiful scarf Meredith. I'm glad you managed to sort out the dog showers, they are a lovely handful x