Saturday, July 9, 2022

This and that in no particular order................

                   







So much going on but nothing of any real importance.  Little Buddy continues to grow and thrive, what could be more rewarding than that?  He has his quirks, like separating M&M's by color before eating them, but don't we all have something?

He has had a very fun week.  Last weekend the Fourth of July was celebrated here in this neighborhood for several nights of close and loud fireworks, I had a buddy in bed with me as he doesn't like loud noises.  Actually I had three dogs, and a little boy in bed with me, lets just say no one got much sleep.  I found one exploded firework on my grass and one on my roof, my brand new roof.  I told you they were close. 

Last weekend was also my birthday.  We went to the Clearwater Aquarium with a friend of mine who has season passes.  It is good she did as it was very hot and one little boy I know was not very interested in the dolphins, rescued sea turtles or otters.  He was much more impressed with the elevators.  We did see a virtual short movie about humpback whales.  You can see him with his head gear on reaching out to touch the whale.  We only stayed an hour.  Clearwater Aquarium was made famous by Winter the dolphin who was caught in a crab trap and had to have his tail amputated.  He was rehabilitated with a prosthetic tail and lived many years helping children and adult amputees.  Sadly he caught a viral infection early this year and passed away.  You may have seen the movie, A Dolphin's Tail, which is a very, very loose interpretation of the real events.  At the end of the movie they have the real portion of the story, showing the rescue, rehabilitation and the people who worked so hard to get that tail right.  That is the fascinating part.

Dad was away this week so I had to scramble for childcare help.  My babysitter had Covid the week before and was not feeling great, and I also leave at 6:30 in the morning which is a deterrent for almost anyone.  So Little Buddy came to work with me on Tuesday, not my full day but to two houses that are super kid friendly.  He got to hold a baby I work with and was delighted.  He could not understand how this baby could be three, or that he can't see.  He also got to go to the house he was in straight out of the hospital.  He loves his first family and they adore him.  He got to play with the girls I work with and see the preemie twins that are now there in foster care that I work with as well.  He went swimming and had the best time.

That night he was driven up to my friend Lynda's house were he spent two nights and a very long day.  She has a ten year old neighbor who came to play which was so wonderful for Little Buddy.  He doesn't have friends that come over, only those at school or camp so this was extra special.

Little Buddy loves fish so I made salmon for the very first time last weekend.  He loved it, so it is on the menu for dinner again tonight.  I need to start upping my game in the cooking department, my old regular meals are just that, old and regular.

My son sent me flowers yesterday as a late birthday present.  He was out of town visiting a friend on my birthday and got wrapped up in things with his buddy.  I got a really late text from him wishing me a good day.  I know boys are different but this hurt my feelings a bit.  I don't expect a party, dinner or presents, just a simple birthday text is all.   Actually several other good friends and even my dear niece forgot my day. This has been a rough year as you know so understand I know I am being over sensitive.  So flowers were ordered to help lift my spirits and they did.  

The news continues to depress me.  A 10 year old pregnant after being raped by her father had to go out of state for help, thank God she could go out of state, that will not be an option for many, and a judge should never tell a ten year old that she should consider this an, "Opportunity".  Ten year old girls should be watching Disney shows and playing with LOL dolls, not preparing to have a child.  A child that frankly their body may not even be prepared to hold or give birth to without serious physical repercussions. Hasn't she already been traumatized enough by her very own father raping her? Shootings at a parade killing innocent people and children, shootings everywhere killing innocent people and children, it is all so overwhelming, but I make myself know about it all because it is a privilege to bury your head in the sand and pretend all is well, it is a privilege to go about your life because it doesn't affect you. And that is dangerous, pretending all is well and you can't do anything about it all just lets all of this keep going on and getting worse.  I know you can't sit in a deep depression about it but you still have to have an awareness of what this country has turned into. Without awareness there will be no change.

Stay safe my friends, those I know who have had Covid recently have been pretty sick. Stay safe. 

24 comments:

Eileen in Fla. said...

Happy Birthday to you - nothing wrong with celebrating it all month long! And you should! Mine was July 4th, so I'm used to people forgetting it being preoccupied with the holiday. Since childhood I have felt a strong sense of patriotism...probably since USA & I shared our BD. Now I have a sadness and sense of gloom at least once daily. I knew my attitude was bad when a Folk song played on Sirius radio mentioning different American towns. I automatically categorized them by Blue or Red. Will we ever see one united country again? (rhetorical question) Happy Birthday dear lady - one of the most selfless, loving women on social media.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Happy Birthday! Spread the wealth and rather than have a birth-day have a birth-month that way you can celebrate for more days. Hang in there, with every situation you find yourself having to adapt, your toolbox grows. What a cool experience for Little Buddy! Hugs!

Janice Smith said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Meredith!!! Mine was July 2nd. Having reached a certain age, I have decided to start counting backwards. Instead of turning 71, I decided I’ll only be 69. :-)

Delighted Hands said...

My son and grandson just got over Covid-for the second time in 6 monts...a granddaughter is down with it now-she lives in GA. I hope to miss this wave as I have the others.
Sending a belated birthday hug--be honesst with your feelings; they are pretty raw these days, understandably!
Taking Buddy to work was brilliant--look how good it was for him!
Take care.

Betsy said...

Happy Belated Birthday Meredith! I'm sorry to say that I'm used to our middle son never remembering birthday's, or any holidays for that matter, so I know a little about how you feel, but I know that doesn't help much.
It sounds as if you and LB are busy in your new home. We had lots of fireworks in our neighborhood as well. For over a week before and all. night. long. on the 4th. Literally, all night. We had fireworks all over our lawn the next day. They have still be continuing through this week.
Wishing you a peaceful week ahead dear Mere.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Meredith!

I sort M&Ms as well. Must be the accountant in me.

Take care.

Polly in MA

Babajeza said...

Happy Birthday, Meredith! Good Luck and all the Best!

Araignee said...

Happy Birthday!
Life certainly seems to be coming at you fast these days. I am glad to see there are happy times in between the rough patches. My one year old grandson and his parents have had Covid 3 times now since September and a friend just did a 9 day hospital stay from her first encounter with it. I am worried sick because The Mister has jury duty this week and so far we've managed to avoid it by staying rather isolated. I don't know how this will turn out because we need all hands on deck right now to deal with everything we've got going on. It's always something anymore.

Anonymous said...

Belated Happy Birthday 🎉
I understand that Mum of boys thing, they do love you , but sometimes life gets in the way of showing it! Flowers sound nice.
Very best wishes
Alison in Wales

Ellen D. said...

Well, glad you are getting to celebrate your birthday! Wishing you a happy, healthy year with lots of time to pamper yourself, Meredith!

Nance said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Meredith. May this next year be a happier, gentler one for you.

How wonderful that LB got to be with so many more children. Love that photo of him holding that sweet baby.

The sad, sad case of the 10-year old happened in my state. It is shameful, disgusting, and horrifying. You make a powerful point about Privilege in your post, Meredith. Well said. Bravo, my friend!

Take care.

CJ said...

Some really horrific news stories at the moment aren't there? And I really loathe fireworks, they're so bad for wildlife and people just don't care. So selfish. Lovely photos of your little man. I'm glad your older boy came up trumps with flowers in the end. And I am also wishing you a belated happy birthday. I need to come up with some new recipes here, I am not a huge fan of cooking and I find it really hard when the time comes to muster much enthusiasm, especially when I know people will probably moan anyway. I hope you have a good week. Sending hugs, CJ xx

linda said...

Belated Happy birthday Meredith😘😘 I have 3 sons 2 always remember the third may remember or not and yes it does hurt when they don't, I hardly ever see or hear from him all year it would be nice to be remembered on my birthday and as you say just a text would do. I'm glad little Buddy had a good week, it can't be easy for you trying to fit everything into your busy life.
So many awful things happening just now the story of that ten year old breaks my heart. Take care and I hope that you have a good week. Xx

Jeanie said...

It sounds like Little Buddy had a very good week, but I'm not so sure about you, despite your birthday. I again send greetings your way. It's sad when a birthday is overlooked a bit. I know what you mean -- you don't need flowers or a fancy gift but the recognition one is due on such a day!

I know what you mean about the news. I'm north now. I don't have news 24/7 and it's a very good thing, I think. That said, I will find a way to listen to the 1/6 hearings this week. The story of the 10 year old girl was on my radar. That's a tragedy.

I hope your heart will find some lightness and joy this week.

Neighborhood Watch said...

Happy Birthday! Your boy and his m&m's reminds me of my boy who could only take pills with a handful of skittles. (He chewed pills--prednisone--and others which he had to take often). Oh all the lovely little things that make up our lives. Take care!

Dee said...

Happy belated birthday.

Shhhh...don't tell, if no one is looking, I eat all the brown M&Ms first. Then the FUN colors are left. Orange is next 'cause I don't like the color orange. Then blue because blue is NOT an original color. LOL

Stephen doesn't usually remember birthdays, Mother's Day, or stuff like that. I expect it, but I don't have to like it. You are right. It hurts a bit.

Melanie said...

Happy belated birthday, dear Meredith! I understand your hurt feelings about your son not contacting you, as well as some friends and your niece. My son is not good at remembering dates either. Like you, I don't expect any presents or anything, but just a text or call would be nice. I've had the same thing happen with other family members and friends, not remembering the anniversary of Phil's death which hurts me more than anything...and no one says anything to me on Mother's Day anymore either, which also really hurts.

I read the news story about the 10 year old girl who was raped and had to travel out-of-state for an abortion. As if all that wasn't horrific enough, I read that she and her mother were being harrassed in their home state. I can barely type about this without tears coming to my eyes and feeling immense anger.

I hate fireworks. I'm a Highly Sensitive Person and loud noises really bother me. They weren't TOO bad around our house this year for once, and we thought we'd actually be able to get some sleep this year, but then some moron on the block behind us decided to light them off at 3:30 AM. We nearly jumped out of our skin. I not only hate fireworks because of the noise, but because they're traumatizing to veterans with PTSD and to animals.

xoxo

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Happy days after your birthday, Meredith! My daughter usually gives me more gifts than my son does at times but this year he was a bit more kind. Sad to read what happened to a girl that is 10 years old from here dad! That is not good at all. I am glad you had a good time at the aquarium. They are fun to go to. We were at one in Seaside in April. It's small but so fun to go through after years of being there. I hope things get better for you in the hard time in life. Praying for you and Buddy and sons! Hugs and blessings, Becky

bittenbyknittin said...

Happy (belated) birthday! I confess I am usually the one to forget my own birthday, but my kids (usually) remember, which is always a pleasant surprise. Sometimes my brothers remember, too. I also confess that I separate my M&Ms by color. I thought everyone did. ;-)

Christina said...

Happy belated birthday Meredith!

I hope childcare for this new working week will be easier. It can be a struggle to get all hours covered.

Thinking of you and sending you hugs xx

Crafty in the Med said...

Belated birthday wishes Mere and hugs from across the pond. Keep well x Amanda x🤗

Anonymous said...

I am always late getting notice of your posts! I have never known why.
it's a google thing I guess. my old PC died and I'm having to learn everything!
but the clarity of the pictures on this new (new to me anyway. it's refurbished) one is fabulous! but at 77 my learning curve is a bit slow.:)
and the wonderful pictures on this post... Little Buddy looks so happy. his small joyful face lifts my heart.
but to know what you felt at having your birthday 'forgotten' !!! after all you've been through so recently! it made me sad for you. YOU are a treasure.
a true and living treasure. not just to LB but to All those you help and love throughout the year. I'm writing too much here. I just looked up and it looks like a small book! suffice to say... we will keep fighting the good fight any way that we can. your words and works lend us all Courage! Bless you Mere! XOXO

karen said...

a very happy birthday to you!! May this year be wonderful and happy and filled with contentment. I also am sensitive if people forget my birthday but I drop so many hints leading up to it it's near impossible to forget.

sewing green lady said...

Hi there and a very late happy birthday from me as i am only just reading this! Glad you are all well and lovely to read your catch up post. Have a good week. x