Monday, September 4, 2023

And suddenly it's September..............

 








Hello everyone!  I hope you are all still out there and are having a wonderful end of summer.  I am still reading your blogs and getting great joy from all of your adventures. Time is limited here so posting continues to be an issue, as well as my energy to get it done.  It is so far down the list of things that need to happen I fear there will not be a regular return anytime soon.

However, here are some updates:  Little Buddy, who is not so little as far as age or attitude started sixth grade.  His school has finally moved to their new facility much closer to my house which is wonderful. He has to attend early drop off three to four days a week so I can get to work, but he is managing the new length of his day without many issues so far.

Of course just as he was getting oriented to the school schedule we had a beast of a hurricane pass by north of us.  He missed two days of school last week, and there is Labor Day today.  We were so fortunate with the storm, I was prepared as far as food, water and batteries and thankfully we did not lose power.  My middle son, his partner and Luna came to stay, not to protect their Mom but because he is a bear to be around when there is no electricity and they lose it quickly where they live.  Little Buddy and I had a sleepover so they could use his bed, it was cozy with all the rain and wind outside and his little body tucked in close to mine, safe and sound.  My oldest son chose to work from my house all week but went back and forth, even early Wednesday morning when the storm was just skimming us while still in the Gulf of Mexico.  He took the bridge from Tampa over to my house, the route west was open but the route going east towards Tampa was closed with high waves and debris all over that portion of the bridge. We are all safe, thank you for all of you who checked up on us.  The poor people several hours north of us had so much storm surge damage it is hard to even comprehend the devastation.

My divorce was final at the end of July.  It has been a rough 2 years, well actually I can add a few more onto that.  I was hoping things would settle down now that we have a judge ordered schedule to follow, but no I was wrong.  I was told by many friends the finality of the divorce really changes nothing when dealing with someone like this, and they were right.  So on we go, taking each day and new issue as it comes.  Counseling helps me understand the complexities of the situation and helps me realize I am not alone in the issues I have had for over 30 years and continue to have.  There is so much help online as well, it really is such a blessing for people going through anything, knowing there are others that have gone through whatever adversity you are going through, they have survived and thrived!  That is my goal and I am making progress everyday.

There has been minor attempts at crocheting a blanket made with the good old Japanese Flower pattern given to me by my dear friend Teresa Kasner, who left us all way too soon.  I think of her often and miss her and her wonderful view on the world  To be honest even though I try to knit or crochet it  makes me feel ill.  This has happened one other time in my life, when I was fighting cancer, I could not play with yarn at all then.  So maybe the highest stress times of my life, when I need it the most, I simply can't muster up the energy or desire to knit or crochet.  I hope my mojo returns soon.

Little Buddy is now 12, he has all the signs of the dreaded puberty, including the ridiculous attitude that comes with it.  He has pimples on that beautiful freckle face of his so we often do a green tea mask to calm it all down.  He loves looking like a zombie. His behavior towards me has made a significant turn for the worse.  It is hard to be the parent who has rules.  However, we have help with his behavior therapists, a counselor and his neurologist for medication.  We take his behavioral issues minute by minute because things can change in a flash. He is a work in progress as we all are.

Hank and Bear just got groomed yesterday.  The put silly ties on them, those poor boys look like they had a very rough day at the office.

With so much going on in the world and personally with so many, I make a conscious effort to give thanks for all the wonderful things in my life everyday, and there are many.  I can't even tell you what a relief it is to come home to my own home and find peace, no walking on eggshells, no wondering what or who will meet me when I walk in the door.  Peace is a beautiful thing. Hoping you are all finding some moments of peace in your lives my friends. 

27 comments:

Melanie said...

It is SO good to hear from you again! My goodness, I barely recognized Little Buddy. He is so grown up. No longer a little boy, for sure. Full-on almost-teenager. Sorry to hear he has that teenager attitude, too. Glad you have a team on your side.

Sounds strange to say congratulations on the finality of your divorce, but in your case, perhaps congratulations is indeed the correct term to use. Too bad it can't be truly over and that you don't have to have any more contact with him again, but with Little Buddy, I know that's impossible.

Thank goodness you are finally feeling some peace in your life. Peace is indeed a beautiful thing. And you more than deserve it, my friend. Take good care of yourself. {{hugs}}

busybusybeejay said...

So good to hear from you again.Wow.Little (?) Buddy has grown so much.
My daughter has just got divorced.Such a terrible time.
Hugs and positive thoughts to you .
Barbarax

Judy S. said...

Great to catch up with you, Mere, and so glad you weathered the hurricane. It is really hard to believe that Little Buddy is 12! Boy, time sure does fly, doesn't it? It sounds like your life might be calming down a bit, and I am glad you are feeling some peace. Take care, and big hugs from WA.

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

I'm glad you are on your blog again. I'm glad you survived the hurricane that was close to your area. LB is good to see again and hopefully he is kind and helpful to you at times. There is always something to be thankful for in your daily life. Hugs and prayers.
~~Becky

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I hoped the storm would pass you; but, I did wonder and was glad to read your post. I'm sorry that you still have to take each day at a time when dealing with your ex. The good part is the "ex!" You are moving forward and some day you will look back and see it. . .My daughter wrote a paper/poem entitled "Worst Mother in the World." She didn't like having to make her bed, clean her room, do her homework. . .simple rules.. .I was the rule parent since my husband worked out of town for most of the year. I used to tell her if I didn't love her, I wouldn't care what she did or when she did it. When she protested about my rules and laid the Worst Mother label on me, I'd say. . .thanks. . .it means, I'm doing my job. Good to know. . .Perhaps, your special buddy will tune into that mantra too one day. I hope it will be sooner for you rather than later!

Delighted Hands said...

It's so good to see a post from you--the peace is something you've needed for a long time. Buddy will continue to work through his frustrations; you are doing just what he needs even if he doesn't know it right now! Take care.

Nance said...

I was so glad to check in at your spot and see this update and to know you have weathered the latest storms with your fine sons at your side. That says so very much.

As always, seeing your pups made me smile. They are such personalities.

Are anyone's lives just as they wish all the time? I'd say no. But you're so right--we all have bright moments that we can look to every day. That your sons choose to spend their time with you shines like the sun.

Thank you for checking in here, and I wish you continued and long-lasting peace and joy.

Araignee said...

How nice to get an update on your wonderful boys! I think of you every time I sit at my loom and am very grateful for your generosity. I am sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations. I've done the divorce thing and you are right about the issues never ending. It spills over into everything.

Lisa Holmes said...

It's lovely to hear from you again. I haven't posted before but I've followed your blog for a long time. It's fabulous that the cute little boy has such a strong and fabulous lady to help him through life. I am also a fan of the hairy boys, Those ties! Wishing you peace and clarity from a quiet corner of England.

Janice said...

It was good to read your post and to see photos of your sometimes ‘bad attitude,’ pimpled face, sixth grader. If anyone is equipped to handle the challenges that life with a teenager presents, it is you.
Give yourself grace. We can surmise that your life has not been easy these last few years. Things will get better. I know that all of your readers are collectively sending you warm hugs and wishing you peace.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear from you and that you are hanging in there. Yes, LB is not little anymore. One of these days he will be *shaving*!

I think Hank and Bear would look great in bow ties.

Kim in Oregon said...

I'm so happy to read your blog post and to catch up with your life. LB is truly turning into a young adult and hopefully you can weather the storm of adolescence as well as your weathered that hurricane! Glad the other siblings were able to find shelter with you. I think of you often and now I'll be sending out more positive energy across the country to you as you figure out this 'new normal'.

Hugs!

Karen said...

It's so good to hear from you, Meredith. You sound good, and it's great to see pictures of LB. I can't believe he's 12 already. One of those tough stages, but you sound well-armed to handle it. I'm glad you have the support of other parents and professionals. You'll get through it. So glad life is treating you well. Sending good thoughts your way. xo

Christina said...

What a lovely surprise, seeing your post. It is wonderful to catch up with you and Little Buddy. I am going to try the green tea mask for my acne! I look like a Zombie without but maybe some improvement with calmer acne. The joys of menopause. I am glad to hear that your divorce is finalised but sorry that things have not settled down. Fingers crossed over the next few weeks and months, they will. I am so glad you were safe, I did follow that hurricane on the news. Have a lovely rest of the week xx

Marguerite said...

Thanks for sharing despite all your continuing challenges. You never know how you will help someone else. I can relate to my moment 15 years ago when I finally got to shut the door on a space that was all mine, peace and blissful quiet, after never knowing what I might encounter daily when I got home from work after 27 tumultuous years. We may not all speak up to your posts but send silent love and hugs - Marguerite

KSD said...

It's just so amazing how quickly our children grow up and how much they change. Fingers crossed for you AND him as puberty descends.

I have thought of you often and hoped peace of mind had found its way to you. Take good care.

CJ said...

I understand so much of what you say, including about eggshells. I can well understand that difficulties don't just suddenly end. I am as always cheering you on. So lovely to see a post from you, and I'm glad the hurricane didn't affect you too badly. I think of Teresa often as well and miss her. So many things remind me of her. A rose or a camper van or a little dog or a vase of flowers. She was such a lovely person, so much energy, so friendly, so enthusiastic about life. I am also the parent who has the rules here, it's not easy is it. I am in a constant battle over screens. Sigh. I hope you have a good weekend and that things become a little easier for you soon in some way. Sending all the hugs my friend, CJ xxxxx

linda said...

So lovely to see your post Meredith, I'm rarely online these days so I'm glad I popped on today and saw this. I can't believe how much Little Buddy has grown I think all kids turn into strangers once they turn into teenagers, I know all of mine did but thankfully it's usually just a passing faze. I'm so sorry to hear things haven't settled down for you yet, they will I promise, I look back and wonder how I got through some of the stuff I had to live through at the time of my divorce. You will come out the other end and be so much stronger for it. Take care my friend and try and keep in touch whenever you can. xx

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad to see a post from you, Meredith. Claudia had said you were safe in the storm and it was just about the time I was thinking I should get in touch, yet knew you had so much on your plate. And boy, you do! But it sounds like good things, despite the additional stresses with puberty and post-divorce and all. But I'm glad that school has started and things there are looking pretty good. I'm glad you son was with you for the hurricane and no damage or real issues apart from inconvenience.

Post and visit as you can -- it's always good to hear from you!

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Ah lovely Meredith, its so good to hear from you, I think of you often. Sorry your divorce is so hard, its a very stressful time. Can't believe LB is 12 and looking so grown up!
Stay well my friend,Jillxx

Ellen D. said...

Popping over to congratulate you and your son on his passing the bar exam! That's such a wonderful achievement for all of you and I wish him the best!
I'm glad your divorce is final and hope life will be happier and calmer for you in the future.

Suzan said...

stopping in to say hi!!
Goodness - Little Buddy has certainly grown up!!
And Hank and Bear are adorable!
You do have your hands full.
Take care,
Suzan

My Creative Life said...

It's good to catch up with you Meredith. Those boys do look posh after their trim and ties. I do hope things get easier for you in workload and balancing hormones and family life in general. Take care Cx

Willow said...

I am very slow to get around to everyone's blogs these days. No excuse...
Wow, Little Buddy is growing up so fast! My grandson might be a bit (lot) like him in terms of behavior. Hang in there. It does improve.
I was watching that hurricane because my sister/cousin lives very near you. Thankfully, you were all safe. Love that your big boys hang out with you.
Have a good October and November!

Sue said...

So sorry I missed this post, Mere. Thinking of you and hoping that all is well as you continue your journey into peace. Your mojo will return when the time is right. Meanwhile, keep taking good care of yourself and your dear boys (furry and non-furry).

I can't believe how grown-up LB looks! Also, what a lovely brindled coat on Luna, and Hank and Bear look adorable in their ties.

TheAwakenedSoul said...

You write so well. I love that piece of crochet that you started. I have been knitting and crocheting simple dishcloths and woolen ribbed socks again. It is very comforting. I have gone through periods of not being able to do it, either. Sometimes I just start with darning, mending, or balling yarn. The dogs and Buddy look fabulous!

Nance said...

Wishing you Peace and Joy on this Christmas, dear Meredith. I hope all is well with you and your family.