Saturday, October 5, 2024

Storms and casts...............

 






Hello everyone!  We are in the middle of hurricane and cast season here, both of which stink.  Hurricane Helene came in with catastrophic flooding to my area in Florida and all over the south as you have all seen.  As of now 15 people have died in my county, three on a street I work on.  So many are devastated, it is so sad.  We are fine, sailed through another one with no flooding or loss of power but just a mile away they lost power for 5 days.  It seems minor compared to the devastation in this area and north of us.  And hooray we have a rain system on the way ready to drop 4-7 inches into already water logged areas starting Sunday.  This system or the one after it will be a tropical storm or hurricane by the time it hits us as we are directly in the path of its expected arrival.  There are apparently at least two out there that will affect us. I am not worried for us, but those who have lost everything and are just cleaning up are going to be affected again.  Of course the loss of life and destruction in Georgia, North and South Carolina and Western Virginia is just horrific, but it is pretty rough here as well.  My beautiful Honeymoon Island is decimated, all the beaches on the barrier islands are simply gone, the buildings at these parks are ruined, the electrical systems and roads are gone.  Some homes near the water but on the mainland had 10-12 feet of water in them and people did not have time to get away because the forecast was for a storm surge but nothing of this capacity.  It is just so sad all around. 

Little Buddy is currently completing week two of casting with another new casting day on Monday.  This will be a 6-8 week process.  He is already showing signs of improvement which is better than we had hoped for at this point.  It is a big deal for him to get around, taking him longer to get places and really making him tired by the end of the day.  I have to remind myself to be really patient with him because fatigue might be the issue rather than difficult behavior by the afternoon. The casts must be soaked daily for 3-5 minutes so that is a lot of fun.  You do not want to picture me getting him in the tub to soak, up on his shower chair to take a shower, or help him navigate getting his clothes over the casts.  I am thankful he is who he is and doesn't get embarrassed that his Mom is helping him at the age of 13.

I am forcing myself to crochet.  Literally making myself do it on the weekends.  I hope to make Ariana by Berroco if the plans work out.  I had all the yarn minus the red which I purchased last week. I have lost my creative mojo for far too long.  It was such a big part of who I thought I was but now realize I created or had yarn in my hands much of the time to self soothe throughout much of my marriage.  Things will never settle down as long as I have this special needs child that we share so I think it is time to try and get back in the saddle and create, I don't want to lose that part of myself as well.

Please stay safe out there my friends. From all of us here including my granddog Luna, who is here for the weekend and another week of storms, stay safe. 

No comments: