Friday, January 9, 2009

Motherhood

I have to admit that knitting has been difficult for me this week. It is funny how life takes over and when you really need to knit the most you can't. When you are at your craziest because of work, or in my case children, knitting would be the one thing to help you keep it together, but you can't fit it in.

I read blogs all the time. I really didn't want to start one because I always thought everyone writes about how fabulous everything is. My sister who I love more than anything, writes her blog MockingBirdHillCottage, with total honesty. She says the good and the bad. She talks about being happy and upset. She talks about how life really is. So I am taking an example from her and I will try to be honest on my blog. After all it is for me, right?

Onto Motherhood. I think Motherhood is the toughest job there is. You have to be all things to everyone in your family, and you never get to turn it off. I am as involved and worried about my kids now as I was the day I found out I was pregnant with them. I see that my parents are as worried about all their children ,everyday. It never changes.

Motherhood while tough can also be the most wonderful job, too. I love watching my boys grow and mature (well one of them anyway). I love when they achieve something and we all rejoice with them as they find success in their lives.

I read an article when I was pregnant with my first child. It stated something like you lose 100,000 brain cells when you are pregnant. As I recall that would be the equivalent of a lot of alcohol. I actually think they should do that study again with mother's of teenagers. I'm thinking you lose many more brain cells just trying to stay on top of them, one step ahead of them, and helping them fix all of their mistakes.

I also have a theory that kids get their excess energy from their mother's. I am not sure how they suck it out of you but they do. When they were little it seemed that the more energetic they were, the more tired I became. See, there has to be some way they were taking my energy.

Now, I think the older they are the more mental/emotional energy they take from you. I think it was easier when you had to think about diaper changes, or your son taking a shovel away from someone on the playground. Teenagers have a whole different mindset. I remember being a teen, was I that mind boggling to my parents?

I sound so dramatic and I don't mean to. I am blessed with a wonderful family. I have a wonderful husband who really loves me and our boys. My kids are great. My dog Max while a bit eccentric is just fabulous. I just think that sometimes being a mother is harder than I ever imagined, but the far majority of the time it is more magical and inspiring than I could have ever dreamed of.

2 comments:

Claudia said...

What a great and honest post! You know I admire your mothering more than I can say. I see first hand when I am visiting you how hard it is. Yet despite all the ups and downs you have raised two great boys! They are a handful, I'll give you that, but they are wonderful.

Donna said...

Well I never heard that about the brain cells and pregnancy ... that could explain a LOT for me, being the mother of two girls!... Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage (who found you through Claudia's blog!!)