Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Swim Camp


Tomorrow is a big day. Tomorrow I drive my oldest son to Orlando where he will spend the night with a swimming friend. Then on Thursday bright and early he will fly to Louisville, KY with two other boys and attend a special swim camp put on by USA swimming. It is an honor for him to be selected for this camp. Only 7 young men in the 14 year old age group were selected from the South East United States. They were selected from swim results from last year when he actually was 14.


He is very excited and I feel a bit sick to my stomach. This is the first time he is flying alone (I know with friends, but not family). This is the first time he is really going to be away from us, and he is going to be pretty far away. I don't think I am ready for him to grow up, and grow away from me so fast.
I am hoping he makes the right choices and trains hard. I am hoping he makes the right choices and doesn't eat sugar (he is hypoglycemic). I hope he makes the right choices and gets some sleep. I hope he makes the right choices and has manners and acts respectful to the coaches. I hope he makes the right choices and really has a wonderful experience.
I will miss him as he ventures off on his own, even if it is only for five days.

2 comments:

Beth said...

What an honor for your son! I know he has a good, solid foundation and will hear his mom in his head with the choices before him. I bet he will do fine and impress you both. It's all part of the journey. Good luck to both of you!

Claudia said...

Love you and Dave! Tell him to listen to his Aunt and be a good boy!