Sunday, December 1, 2019

The dreaded Lurgy................





I have succumbed to the dreaded lurgy my friends and let me say it is no fun at all.  So much for that darn flu shot I had a few months ago.  This illness is pretty brutal and I did not want to be coughing up a lung or blowing my nose off during my four days off work.  So many of the kids I work with have been ill yet I thought for sure I was going to be fine because my energy was high until Thanksgiving day.  That is when I started my downward spiral into yuck!  I know I got run down with my work schedule both physically and emotionally, still somewhere inside I think I am Superwoman and can do it all.  Regardless, it was a very nice holiday and I even managed to decorate my house on Friday, well minus the dreaded Christmas tree.  I had to take lots of breaks to rest when decorating which is not my style at all.  As you all know I am not a fan of Christmas, just way too much to do, buy, wrap, ship and plan.  And being December 1 today............well time is speeding by in terms of getting ready.  

Luna my grand-dog has been here this whole week.  She runs the roost when she is here.  My boys don't know quite what to do with her.  Hank plays and plays with her but lets her take all his toys away.  Bear tries to play but ends up getting his feelings hurt that the other two are not playing with him.  He is invited by lots of soft bites and growls but he will only join in for a second or two.  He ends up getting lots of attention from the adults while the other two play which actually might be his plan after all.  Hank thinks she is his personal toy, well a toy that steals his toys and bites his head. 
Luna returns to Orlando tomorrow so I will have two sad and exhausted boys when she leaves.  

She will be back at Christmas and will stay here after the holiday with grandma and grandpa while her parents fly to Indiana for a few days to visit Mr. 22's girlfriends family.  Now that should be fun!


This gorgeous flower bouquet was a gift from Mr. 26's girlfriend for Thanksgiving, she arranged them all herself.  Her first Thanksgiving here with our family.  I don't want to jinx anything but she just seems to fit right in.  She was getting over her cold/flu/lurgy and was not feeling right still she came and spent the afternoon and evening with us. 

Being sick does leave time for knitting, except for last night when I just watched TV and did not have the energy to pick up the knitting needles.  I am now on the short row portion of the Happy Harvest sweater/vest.  I am not a short row fan but am determined to get them right so I am not scared of them in the future.  I have decided I am a bit of a knitting wimp.  Oops, better not say that because Little Buddy got in trouble using that word at school a week ago.  Maybe a knitting baby?  Or how about a simple knitter as I can't be challenged with things like short rows and color changes.  When I retire I will become a knitting genius because I will have all sorts of energy to devote to the things that scare me and take up too much thought right now. 

Okay, I am out of here my friends.  Please disinfect your screens after seeing my post, I don't want you to get sick!  Have a great week.

32 comments:

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

Oh, poor you. Hope you get better soon, dear Meredith.
xo

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Feel better soon Meredith. The Dog Party was a hit with the 3 participants.
Hugs.
Joy

Needles and Wool said...

Too bad you are sick Meredith I hope you feel better soon! That is nice you had a good Thanksgiving and like Mr.26's girlfriend the flowers she arranged are lovely. Your granddog is so cute and nice she played with your other dogs nicely its cute they all got along. Hope you enjoy your weekend

Neighborhood Watch said...

I hope you rest and get feeling better!

happy hooker said...

We all think we're Superwoman! I hope the lurgy is now on the wane and you're getting your mojo back. xx

Araignee said...

Oh, no....everyone seems to be sick all of a sudden. I've loaded the car and all my bags with hand wipes but I bet it's still going to get me just when I've got so much stacked up to do this month.
The flowers are gorgeous. She really has an eye for floral arrangement.

busybusybeejay said...

Get better soon.Hope Little Buddy doesn't get it.
It was great to hear that Madison,Wisconsin is an OK place.I am sure Ella will settle in very well.She is a very sociable being but must feel a little daunted at going to a new country on her own.She has holidayed on the West Coast and New York with the family and is a massive USA fan(hence why she is reading American Studies).
Look after yourself.Barbarax

Melanie said...

Oh no, I am so sorry you're sick. I'm not surprised with not only you working with so many kids, but then having a little one yourself, and being mentally and physically exhausted. The body can only take so much. I hope you're getting lots of rest and being well taken care of.

xoxo
Melanie

Judy S. said...

Feel better real soon!

CJ said...

Oh dear, sorry you're not well, that is no fun at all. I hope it passes soon and you're back to full strength. Luna is gorgeous, but I know what you mean about Bear having his feelings hurt, Bertie would be exactly the same. His friend came round the other day and it was fine for a while, but a bit confusing. I hope you have a good week and that you're all better soon. CJ xx

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

I still have a cough and am tired. Sorry your had your holiday weekend turn sour! I didn't get s flu shot bit still got some virus. Its going around here. Hope ya get over virus soon! Take care!

Dee said...

Hope you are feeling better soon.

At least you got to enjoy ALL the pup antics before the lurgy set in.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better soon! Your pups are going to be exhausted, but maybe that's ok for a while? I'm inspired to try the Happy Harvest sweater/vest and will also have to work on learning short rows. Not much experience with them.

Take care!

Polly

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Oh darn! Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. Hope it doesn't make rounds at the house. Love your account of the pups and their personalities. Must be super fun with an extra furbaby in the house. :) I'm a crochet wimp so understand completely. I will always be a novice because there are some patterns that just totally boggle my mind and make me go cross-eyed. I hope that you get to feeling better very soon. Take care!

Teresa Kasner said...

I'm so sorry you caught a bug. I really have a hard time figuring out why they can't find a cure for the common cold and let's throw the flu in while we're at it. We have our tree up and just a few ornaments so far. The grandsons are coming here after school tomorrow so I hope they'll help me hang more! I don't worry much about getting it all done.. it will happen. I sure hope you get to retire soon!
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Betsy said...

Sweet Meredith, I'm so sorry that you're sick. Believe me, I know how you feel. After two weeks of cough, cough, sneezing constantly, I got on antibiotics last Monday because the cold/flu/lurgy had turned into bronchitis just in time for Alex to come home. I feel much better although I'm still coughing a little bit. A little boy coughed all over Mandy on her flight here last Tuesday. She ended up getting sick Thursday and still has no voice. Grrrrr. She doesn't blame the poor sick little guy, but it was so frustrating when she was seeing all of her friends for the first time in almost 3 years. Not to mention her brothers and other family. Oh well. What's to be done. We've rolled with it and she's leaving tomorrow morning to go home.
Our nest will feel so empty since Alex and his girlfriend are also leaving tomorrow evening.
Wishing you a quiet evening and that you will soon be completely well my dear friend.
Blessings,
Betsy

DelightedHands said...

Oh, boy! That had to put a crimp in your long weekend plans!
Our little guy left here for the drs and was confirmed with the flu-I a hoping my flu shot (which caused me so much trouble) is effective in giving me protection! Hope you can rise to the occasion today at work!

karen said...

I hope you feel better soon!!! I caught something over the holidays as well. Not Fun. Loved seeing the pups.

Nance said...

Oh, so sorry you've been ill. Please continue to take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon.

Hamilton said...

So sorry you are ill! I got a flu shot, but my SO got the flu. I kept my distance anyway, until his symptoms cleared - 10 days! Re knitting short rows, I didn't get them until I read Elizabeth Zimmermann's how-to. Now I use short rows for toes and heels on toe-up socks. Good luck! And get well soon!

kathy b said...

Meredith

You didn't tell me about 3 dogs. O my o my o my. I hope your poor body gives you a full YEAR break. may 2020 be the year Merediths immune system rocks it. May you have not ONE headache. May you get at least one nap a week. I have now saved your sweater designers name on my ravelry list. Nice patterns!!!!!

TheAwakenedSoul said...

That comment about Buddy using the word wimp just cracked me up! I know what you mean about short rows. I still have a sweater with shadow wrap short rows that I need to finish. I also have not been successful with putting the new chains on my tires. I made two unsuccessful attempts. I decided to walk to town instead. Life is full of challenges. Hope you are feeling better now.

Gracie Saylor said...

Rest and get well! You are dear. xxxxxxx

handmade by amalia said...

Oh, poor you! Sending you a virtual cup of ginger-lemon tea.
Amalia
xo

Jo said...

Oh no, I hope you're feeling better now. I had the lurgy in November and I'm sorry to say that it's not quick to go, I've still got a hacking cough now. At least we should both be done with it by Christmas.

Between Me and You said...

Get better quickly, Meredith, the world needs you!!!xxxx

Anonymous said...

I hope you're better soon darling bean.
can you just rest? rest is so important and the best in battling most anything.
and it's the one thing that busy moms find hardest to do.
thank you for this post and those wonderful pictures of the boys and Luna! you're appreciated. and loved! take care of YOU. xoxo

Joyful said...

Poor you Meredith. I hope you bounce back soon. All the best of the season. Wishing you and your loved ones all a very Merry Christmas.xx

Sandy said...

Oh no, sorry you're sick. Sadly, tis the season. Partly because we tend to over due and like you said resistance goes down, but partly because people want to attend gatherings etc, and go even when they shouldn't because they're sick. Then it just spreads and spreads. I get so I don't look forward to family gatherings because of that. Every year it happens. This year a non family guest that came was sick, and possibly one family member (though she's not owning up to it), within a matter of days my older brother (who's house we were at), got sick, followed by his way 2 days later. Then my younger brother's wife got sick, followed by my brother. Toes and fingers crossed for hubby and I. Feel better soon, and get some knitting done. I love the look of the pattern. I often like to stick to what I know and get skiddish at trying out new things. Hard to do that and drink wine...something about the concentration, lol

Eileen said...

Oh my Gosh, I am so sorry you have been under the weather. Hope you well on the mend! A friend, nurse, told me that the flu shot this year is not covering the flu virus going around...ugh! i'm torn if I should get the vaccine or not now.
Take care...Happy Holidays
Also, I am not a big fan of Christmas...too much hoopla! But I love a good family get together and all the wonderful food and conversation that comes with season.

Willow said...

I hope you're better by now. I did spray my screen and will take extra Airborne this afternoon.
Having doggie guests is not always fun. The granddogs don't always get along when they're together.
You can rename that vest the Lurgy Vest. Once you get the hang of short rows you won't dislike them so much. Here's hoping they all stitched out correctly. (I thought of 'knitting novice' but you're not really a novice...)

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

I do hope you're feeling better by now. Our house has had a couple of very minor illnesses pass through since November and hopefully that's the way we can keep it.
Enjoy the rest of your week,
Andrea